Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

What are the mechanical differences between GT2 and GT2RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:08 PM
il nino is infamous around these partsil nino is infamous around these parts
What are the mechanical differences between GT2 and GT2RS

Does anyone know the actual differences between the two cars? Are the pistons, turbos, exhaust and fuel injection the same and just adjusted differently.
How about the suspension? Is that the same or just different settings etc.
I have an 08 GT2 and am curious about these issues.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Qs997Turbo is infamous around these parts
Good question. I would love to know this info as well!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by il nino
Does anyone know the actual differences between the two cars? Are the pistons, turbos, exhaust and fuel injection the same and just adjusted differently.
How about the suspension? Is that the same or just different settings etc.
I have an 08 GT2 and am curious about these issues.
What I think I know is:
-the turbos are different and better - not sure how.
-think the pistons and fuel injection are the same - not for sure
-the suspension is using monoball joints instead of rose joints(eliminates any rubber) so much more stable chasis when turning and hitting any bumps, and improves turn in and feel, does not make ride harsher.
-the clutch is using a lighter fly wheel .
- the intercoolers are much better.

I have ridden in a gt2 rs at the driving school several times around the track with an instructor driving it (one of the times it was Hurley Haywood going all out). It was awesome, but now that I have my 08' gt2 for less then half the cost of a new rs it really did not feel that much better. I have already done a few mods which puts me at similar power ratings as the rs and next I will do a stage 1 suspension for about a little over $1k and will have the same suspension as the rs.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:34 AM
euro400 is infamous around these parts
To zzzspeed,
What company are you going use to upgrade your suspension? I also have 08 gt2 just like yours. I've been enjoying every bit of it.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned
gt2urbo is infamous around these partsgt2urbo is infamous around these parts
i have tarrett dog bones , toe kit ect, solid bushings and moton 3 way adj. car handles great .the difference is i think is that the hot side of the turbos is from the 997.2 cars . also it boosts 22 psi the gt2 is 20 psi.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by euro400
To zzzspeed,
What company are you going use to upgrade your suspension? I also have 08 gt2 just like yours. I've been enjoying every bit of it.
I will be having RSS in Costa Mesa, CA do them since its just a drive away from me. But more than that they did my other mods and gave me a tour of their operation, very impressive. I notice that many mod shops that do suspension, use the RSS products.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Sladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura about
I feel like a "me too" here - I have a 2008 997 GT 2 as well. My mods are just an EVOMS 600 upgrade. Have any of you guys:
1) Installed an aftermarket exhaust - can you describe what benefits you got, and how loud does it make riding inside ( given how much noise there already is inside), and
2) has anyone done extensive tracking with the PCCB's, his are they surviving and if you've changed to steel rotors and pads, which ones and how do you like 'em? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned
gt2urbo is infamous around these partsgt2urbo is infamous around these parts
i have tracked pccb prett hard. to the point of the billowing smoke. have about 15 track days on em. no cracks . they are stroong but im gonna swap out rotors for the brembo steel slotted ones.
i had a bbi exhaust no cats and it sounded like a gt3 rs . and saved about 20lbs from stock exhaust.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:55 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
What I think I know is:
-the turbos are different and better - not sure how.
-think the pistons and fuel injection are the same - not for sure
-the suspension is using monoball joints instead of rose joints(eliminates any rubber) so much more stable chasis when turning and hitting any bumps, and improves turn in and feel, does not make ride harsher.
-the clutch is using a lighter fly wheel .
- the intercoolers are much better.
The VTG turbochargers found in the updated turbo and GT2RS are identical to the turbo chargers in the GT2. The pistons and connecting rods have different numbers, I suspect they are still forged, but stronger - not titanium. The springs have fewer turns, lighter, and different rates than on the GT2. The ICs, as we have all noted, are identical to the updated turbo ICs, different from the GT2.

Rear subframe is solidly mounted with aluminum bushings. The rear lower control arms had spherical bearing inner mounts with a soft rubber dust cover and the thrust arm bushings are the same as the front rubber ones.

The rear toe arm inner mounts are spherical with the same style soft rubber dust cover.

From Suncoast Ric, these components are unique to the GT2RS, and are not shared with the GT3RS:

- Front Shock Absorber - 997-343-041-80 x 2
- Front Springs - 997-343-531-80-504
- Rear Wheel Carrier - 997-331-111-80 AND 997-331-112-80
- Rear Track Rod - 997-331-045-80 X 2
- Wishbone / Control Arm - 997-331-041-80 AND 997-331-042-80
- Rear Underbody Strut - 997-331-081-92
- Rear Shock Absorber - 997-333-051-80 x 2
- Rear Springs - 997-333-531-81-504 (possibly other rear shock hardware too)

Not sure how they're different...but the part numbers are not the same for the GT3RS. Here is an interview posted by a member during an exclusive event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXHZL...layer_embedded

Andreas Preuninger describes some of the differences in engineering, however, not everything he has stated is 100% true - the rose joint/spherical ends and the remove all the rubber comments are not completely correct.

As far as the body is concerned, the rear deck is the same, as is the wing, although the gurney extension is different. There are a few carbon fiber trim pieces, different bumper, and on the front end, the front fenders are available in optional carbon fiber.

b

Last edited by bbywu; 08-26-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: corrected
Old 08-26-2011, 06:13 PM
turbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura about
The front fenders are steel unless you opt for the $6800 optional carbon fiber fenders which are one piece and donot have the add on fender flare of the steel fenders. i have had both cars a GT2 and a GT 2RS and once you drive a 2RS you won't want to go back to the GT2 which is also a very nice car. Thanks

Old 08-26-2011, 06:44 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
I have also driven both. The driving differences on the road are not really discernible in the case of a reasonably upgraded GT2. I am sure on the track it is much more likely to become noticeable. When my good friend who I bought my 996 GT2 from, bought his new GT2RS, I asked him what it was like compared to his his old GT2. He shared the same opinion with me. When I pressed him for his impressions on the difference, his initial response was "that car puts it down!" (referring to the old one). No question the GT2RS is an upgraded version, superior in many ways. The GT2 is not obsolete yet though.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbodickie
The front fenders are steel unless you opt for the $6800 optional carbon fiber fenders which are one piece and donot have the add on fender flare of the steel fenders. i have had both cars a GT2 and a GT 2RS and once you drive a 2RS you won't want to go back to the GT2 which is also a very nice car. Thanks
You are correct, I should have stated that they were optional - they apparently save about 20 lbs compared to their steel counter part. I was unaware that people who ordered the GT2RS decided not to go with this option. They are about $6000 for the parts alone as an add on afterwards, not mentioning the cost of properly painting CFK and installing the part.

bob

Old 08-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
What exactly are you saying? Are flares moulded into c/f guard? Or that you then have to add the flares?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 AM
turbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura about
flares are molded in on the carbon fiber fenders. Also when I picked up mycar in Palm Beach #455 there seemed to be more steel fenders than CF ones.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the mechanical differences between GT2 and GT2RS