Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991: I'm having second thoughts. Help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 01:55 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by hroussard
Can you actually out-drive your current Porsche.
Heck no. Dare anybody here to say they can. I have 8 years of club-racing experience which is enough to know there's always room to get faster no matter what the car, and there’s always someone faster than you.

That said, I don't think being able to outdrive my current car is a prerequisite for getting something better/different/faster. I also don’t play guitar as well as Eddie Van Halen or Ana Vidovic, but that hasn't stopped me from having guitars just as nice as theirs.

Good thing we don't all need to be Michael Schumacher or Walter Rohrl to justify having our cars. Just sayin’

Old 09-11-2011, 02:12 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
So you like this guitar then??

Hey I like guys that have a good taste... Check one of mine..

Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2011, 02:27 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
My other pride and joy (attached)

Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2011, 03:43 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
The pucker factor

Talking about knowing where your skills end and where the pucker factor takes over?? Try one of these!!

Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2011, 04:58 PM
QueenCity911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KaamaCat
+++ on that without a doubt!

I now have just over 5000mi on mine, and while I do not track (DE) the car, I do take it to the occassional AutoX event, tons of miles in the mountain areas, and even some small trips. What I can say is it has clearly been my best car to date, and have had the pleasure to feel that 1-on-1 analog feeling that no other car out there is going to give. I've yet to look at any other car and say "wish I had one of those"..........

While many ask me "why don't you DE the car", at the same time I can say I've had over 5000 miles of enjoyment in the car equal to and if not better than hitting the track. (you will have to trust me on this one)

Sure getting in/out of the seats is about the only item thats a slight different but, once in.......WOW.......(In fact when/if Michelin comes out with the PSS in a rear size for the car we plan on taking it out to Utah next year)

Yep, what he said.....except I already have the PSS for my 08.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Originally Posted by ChrisEVO
Keep it. Wait for the 991 GT3. Maybe then, if it's all that and a bag of chips should you consider parting with the 3. After owning both a 997.1 C2S and a 997.2 GT3, I could not imagine ever being happier with a C2S - even if it is new and shiny
I agree with this. I went from a C4S to a GT3 and I am not sure that I would be as happy with the 991 C2S. I would need to drive it to really know, but on the surface, I would stick with the GT3 and wait.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:36 AM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
With 8 years of club racing you understand the vast differences in these cars. I've come through a 996 Cab and 996tt to get to the GT3 I'm in today and there's absolutely no way I could go back to a non GT car at this point.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:47 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I saw the 991 at Porsche Development last week in Germany. Didn't do anything for me. Don't like the 20's. Would like to drive one and see if it wows me technically.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 PM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
either forget the 991 and buy a 997 GT3 or RS
or
wait for the 991 GT3 to see what it has to offer

personally option 1 would be my advice....there are great buys on slightly used Gt3s/Gt3RS's out there. Buy the newest one you can afford

Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing
either forget the 991 and buy a 997 GT3 or
He already owns a 997 GT3

Old 09-12-2011, 06:06 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
My feelings echo most of the aforementioned. I have a .2 GT3 with 5300 on the clock. It is THE best car I have ever owned. Like the OP said, it makes me feel alive. As others have said, wait for a look at the 991 GT3/RS and decide then if the price and performance delta are worth it to you. I am in the same exact boat as you. I am waiting for that 991 to see if I will buy another GT or stick with what I love now.

FTR, I don't track (yet) and truly enjoy my weekend twisty rides.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:14 PM
The Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to behold
I think your severely underestimating the new GT cars (997.2). Would hardly say that the 997.2 is the same car as a 996. Aero is vastly superior, and suspension is at it's finest. Really feel like it's the ultimate car right now....

Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
He already owns a 997 GT3
oops sorry you are right....
just put a 3.9 in it and be done with the decision

Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rja
...But if the car loses it's soul, then that'll be a deal breaker. It'll also be a C2S, not a 3 which I'm having a hard-time getting past (call me shallow if you want. Sorry.).
Not sure how you quantify 'soul', but why not wait until the 991 GT3?

I understand completely how you feel about the C2(S). Once you've experienced a GTx, it is hard to go back.

I also vote to wait for the 991 GT3.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:28 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by The Greek
I think your severely underestimating the new GT cars (997.2). Would hardly say that the 997.2 is the same car as a 996. Aero is vastly superior, and suspension is at it's finest. Really feel like it's the ultimate car right now....
Let's not fail to mention the vastly superior engine as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991: I'm having second thoughts. Help?