Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991: I'm having second thoughts. Help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
Go for the GT3 RS and don't look back!
+1,000!!!

The GT breeds are special, especially the GT3's with the high revving almighty Mezger engines! (Sorry, no offense to any other Porsche owners but there's nothing I'd rather have than a high revving GT3/RS) There will be no more Mezger engine and I'm sure we will miss it very much. If I could I would make the leap for a 997.2 GT3 RS in an instant before they become extinct.

The new 991 feels to much like a cruiser, a grand touring car. It feels too finessed, too luxurious... The interior has lost it's simplicity and became too sophisticated and busy.

Like the OP said, I'm sure the 991 will be superior in terms of performance. But for me in terms of look it will always be inferior. I strongly believe Porsche had done it's best 911 series with the 997, which is now sadly over

Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 AM
brim has a spectacular aura aboutbrim has a spectacular aura aboutbrim has a spectacular aura about
Keep the GT3. Wait to see the 991 and drive in person. I think Porsche will be producing plenty of them, so you'll be able to get one if it strikes your fancy once its on the ground.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:45 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sin911
The new 991 feels to much like a cruiser, a grand touring car. It feels too finessed, too luxurious... The interior has lost it's simplicity and became too sophisticated and busy.
You've driven a 991?

Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Cool Video game console

When I see the pictures of the interior... it looks to me like a comfortable video game console and not a no-holds barred, *****-to-the-wall, gut-wrenching sports car. I wonder how many cup holders there will be... perhaps even a couple in the back...

Old 09-15-2011, 02:51 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
How do you guys compare the 997.2 TTS to lets say the 997.2 GT3 in terms of driving experience? I know they are different cars, but for a guy that enjoys driving (not on track) how do they compare? Any one switch from a TT to a GT3 that wants to chime in?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:33 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
You've driven a 991?
No, I meant the looks of the car. Sorry for the confusion

Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
No, I meant the looks of the car. Sorry for the confusion
Gotcha. I don't disagree.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
I'm going w/ the 3.8L RS. I have a couple cars in mind, but if anybody is thinking about selling theirs, feel free to PM me. I haven't made any offers yet.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 PM
aussie jimmy is infamous around these partsaussie jimmy is infamous around these parts
best choice.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:11 AM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Sorry for the curt reponse last night. I wanted to get a chance to tell my sales person that I'm not going w/ the 991 before getting to deep into this (done).

Thanks for all those who offered advice & comments -- it was very helpful for me to hear different perspectives and thus much appreciated.

There are a good number of cars out there w/ with very low miles -- it seems a lot of folks have a hard time w/ the RS for a DD. People warned me against the regular GT3 for a DD 4 years ago when I purchased my current car but it's been a great DD for me -- I just love it and want more of it. The fact that I can get into a 3.8L RS for about what I'd pay on a 991 makes the RS a no-brainer for me.

Thanks again,

-Roland.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 AM
ands8 is infamous around these parts
This DD thing is really a personal view. Ive had a 7.1 GT3 & currently a 7.2 RS, both with the euro bucket seats that need climbing into & both cars are fine for me as a DD.

I wouldnt consider for a nano second, parting with either car for a non GT3 991. These people out there that are ordering a current 991 over buying a used GT3, are in my opinion, completley mad..

If you have a GT3/RS, keep it or you'll regret it very quickly.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Talking Amen +1

IF you get even a new 991 S model, it will be down horsepower to the GT3 you have. And in 12 months, there will be a boat load of them cruising around and the newness and exclusivity will have faded.....IMO you then have a newer, but slower, less passionate and less exclusive car in your stable. Great car, but less desirable. I'd wait for the 991 GT3 or RS ( I have a deposit already for 2015 and the car isnt even in design) OR as some suggest, find a clean used GT3RS in a year as the price comes off a little more. FAR more exclusive and possibly collectible (green or orange). All just my opinion, but like you said, I get real excited when i see another RS, and dont really hardly notice a base 997 (or likely a 991 after first 6 months).

Originally Posted by 2012CV6
You won't be happy in my opinion...right now you are looking at how green the grass is on the other side and forgetting how lush your grass still is. Right now, you have 4 years to base your current passion on, and its true to you. The 991 is just an emotional high right now because it is all new, however, you have nothing to back that you will love it like you do your 3. Also, you are right...less face it...exclusivity is a perk to owning what you have!

Trev

Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Turbo vs GT3

I have had both, and now only have the GT3RS. The Turbo is far faster off the line due to AWD and the hop in HP. However, the primary difference for me was the driving experience. The Turbo is refined and as I have said before, perfect to take your wife to dinner while blasting practically anyone away at a traffic light (not that I do that). The GT3s are raw, gripping, and IMO soulful with the whine of the high revving engine. The Turbo exhaust note, even with a Tubi still sounds like a washing machine IMO and lacks the sports car sexy appeal relative to exhaust sound. Amazing car, but not as fun to drive with turbos spooling at 4100 and redline at 6400. Too narrow to have enjoy the motor and far too much shifting to stay in the spool on the track. The RS pulls from 4100 all the way to 8400 (8800 with Alex's 3.9 kit) and screams bloody murder all the way up. As an ex-bike-roadracer, the thrill of the normally aspirated car is addictive. Plus with 2WD, drifting the car at the track is simply a kick in the pants. Cant really do that with a AWD car (well I am sure Sebastian Vettel could, but I cant). For me, these are the reasons I sold the Turbo and hope to have a 991 GT3 in the garage to join the 997. Now, if I was to DD the two, I would pick the Turbo as the clutch is less stiff and the car is softer on the roader.

Last analogy, we both have hot wives, but mine is naughtier LOL!!

Truthfully, both are amazing, but just built for diff purposes; so to each his own.

Originally Posted by sanchezdds
How do you guys compare the 997.2 TTS to lets say the 997.2 GT3 in terms of driving experience? I know they are different cars, but for a guy that enjoys driving (not on track) how do they compare? Any one switch from a TT to a GT3 that wants to chime in?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:17 PM
mthaynes is a jewel in the roughmthaynes is a jewel in the roughmthaynes is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by hroussard
When I see the pictures of the interior... it looks to me like a comfortable video game console and not a no-holds barred, *****-to-the-wall, gut-wrenching sports car. I wonder how many cup holders there will be... perhaps even a couple in the back...

The interior has lost it's simplicity and became too sophisticated and busy.
I think the word you are looking for is "Panamera-ish" Which when translated into english basically says; if you spill your morning coffee over all all my buttons, I will deliver you a non-warenty service bill that will make you weak in the knees and force you curl up in the fetal position on the dealership floor.

Seriously you can add all those button to the nav screen and reduce the weight. I t is a scientifically proven fact that an additionl button on a touch screen adds .0000000000 nothing to the weight of the car.

Just my .02 Now off back into my corner with my soap box

Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 PM
rja
I love the new interior -- it is my favorite thing about the new 911. It's soooooooooooo perfect (from the photos anyway). I was really excited about it but I cancelled my 991 slot anyway and am going w/ a 997.2 3RS instead, but I'm also looking forward the the 991 3RS in a few years (maybe 4 as I'll wait for the PDK version). Thanks again for comments on this thread, they were helpful in terms of my decision to go w/ the RS instead.

As far as "no-holds barred, *****-to-the-wall, gut-wrenching sports car", that's called a GT3RS. I don't think the non-GT 991 is or is intended to be that kind of car. It's a great if not perfect sports car and now it has a great interior to match it's price, IMO of course . I'm going w/ the RS because I want that "no-holds barred" thing so I have no choice but to wait.

Last edited by rja; 09-21-2011 at 11:37 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991: I'm having second thoughts. Help?