Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991: I'm having second thoughts. Help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:03 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
991: I'm having second thoughts. Help?

I've been looking forward to the 991 for a couple years now, and am at the top of the list at my local Porsche dealer (November production). I've been REALLY happy w/ my GT3 and short of checking in on the 991 from time-to-time, I haven't even thought about another car. No car mags, no forum trolling, no researching other cars, no nothing -- just 31k miles of driving my car every day for the past 4 years. It’s the longest I’ve ever owned a car.

The 991 has finally arrived, so you think I’d be happy – and I am. But I haven’t even driven it and I’m already starting to have second thoughts (I’m a Gemini so I can’t help it). This started because all my friends who know me are telling me I’m crazy to part w/ my 3 and that I won’t be happy with a less visceral car like a C2S (which this 991 will surely be). This has started me thinking …

- My car is a rush to drive -- it makes me feel alive. The new 991 is likely to be superior in many ways so I’m very, very excited about that, but I also know that it won’t be as exciting as my current car (at least until the 991GT3 anyway).

- This shorter wheelbase in the 991 is REALLY bothering me, especially the more I think about it. I love the way my 3 turns-in – it’s my favorite thing about the 3.

- $120K US for a non-GTx car (that’s what about as cheap as I can get it with the min options I’d want). Crud. Now I’m in shootin’ range of just getting a 3RS – my ultimate dream car. Perhaps I should spend the extra $$$ and just get one instead.

- I hate to admit it, but I will miss the exclusivity of my GT3 even though that’s not what the car is all about. I didn’t buy it for that reason, but going from a GT3 to a C2S feels like a downgrade. Sorry, no offence to non-GTx owners. All 911s are GREAT no matter what year and model!!!

- I was driving our 550i today returning home from a short road trip and a passed a 997.2GT3RS heading the opposite direction. I felt like a 7 year-old boy seeing a really cool sports car for the first time. “Am I making the right decision” I thought.

Anyway, curious to hear what folks think. I’m sure it’s going to be akin to a PDK vs. non-PDK discussion but curious nonetheless. If there are any pro racers or race engineers reading this, I’d be curious on your thoughts regarding the longer wheelbase of the 991. This is what has me most concerned.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Hang on to your GT3 as it seems to work for you as a DD. A friend of mine has the GT3RS and he tells me that he has to be really careful EVERYWHERE. The car is really low and "difficult" , seats are difficult to get into, in fact he is not enjoying the experience ( he does to track) much and is seeking to buy a less involved Porsche, perhaps like the Turbo that he can drive without having to be afraid of everything around him. Just my friends 2 cents..

Old 09-10-2011, 08:23 PM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
Keep it. Wait for the 991 GT3. Maybe then, if it's all that and a bag of chips should you consider parting with the 3. After owning both a 997.1 C2S and a 997.2 GT3, I could not imagine ever being happier with a C2S - even if it is new and shiny

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 PM
2012CV6 is infamous around these parts
You won't be happy in my opinion...right now you are looking at how green the grass is on the other side and forgetting how lush your grass still is. Right now, you have 4 years to base your current passion on, and its true to you. The 991 is just an emotional high right now because it is all new, however, you have nothing to back that you will love it like you do your 3. Also, you are right...less face it...exclusivity is a perk to owning what you have!

Trev

Old 09-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Go for the GT3 RS and don't look back!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
GT3 is a keeper unless you replace it with another GT3/RS, or if you decided to stop driving manual.

There are always plenty of C2S any day anywhere. One year from now, 991 C2S will be everywhere. Don't rush into decision when the car is not even out yet. We know the new 991 will be incrementally better than the 997.2 that it replaces, but from knowing and owning Porsche for many years, we all know that this increment will be small. Porsche has to leave room to sell the X51 powerkit and then the turbo later on. So be patient and just hold on.

Last edited by Targa Tim; 09-10-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChrisEVO
Keep it. Wait for the 991 GT3. Maybe then, if it's all that and a bag of chips should you consider parting with the 3.
this

Old 09-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
RS>997GT3>991 (until 991 GT come out)

Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
Go for the GT3 RS and don't look back!
+++ on that without a doubt!

I now have just over 5000mi on mine, and while I do not track (DE) the car, I do take it to the occassional AutoX event, tons of miles in the mountain areas, and even some small trips. What I can say is it has clearly been my best car to date, and have had the pleasure to feel that 1-on-1 analog feeling that no other car out there is going to give. I've yet to look at any other car and say "wish I had one of those"..........

While many ask me "why don't you DE the car", at the same time I can say I've had over 5000 miles of enjoyment in the car equal to and if not better than hitting the track. (you will have to trust me on this one)

Sure getting in/out of the seats is about the only item thats a slight different but, once in.......WOW.......(In fact when/if Michelin comes out with the PSS in a rear size for the car we plan on taking it out to Utah next year)

Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 AM
aussie jimmy is infamous around these partsaussie jimmy is infamous around these parts
is this a real dilemma? surely, you jest?

if you're not joking, then yes, gt3 is the one. it's got the mezger engine which no next 911 will have unless porsche pull a surprise party on the world and have stored 2500 engines in a climate-controlled, secret locale....

Old 09-11-2011, 08:45 AM
jbxea1 is infamous around these parts
Don't go backwards! I am sure the 991 will be a great car, but I doubt it will be as much fun or as engaging as your GT3. If you want something new, get your dream car, the RS. As for the 991s, I would be patient and wait for the GTxs. Nice "problem" To have... My .02.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
I am not a fan of plunging headlong into the newest, latest, greatest thing. My experience is that newer is not always better. Technology does continue to improve for the most part, but that does not mean that other factors may not, like design. I am not saying that the 991 is or is not a "better" design, but I'll wait for the legions of other enthusiasts to blow their money first, part with their greatest treasures, while I read all the reviews, go on some test drives etc. In other words, give it a minute. Wait and watch.

I can think of many technological advances that were cheaper and therefore more cost-effective, but not necessarily better. My vote is for you to stay with the type ride you love, don't take a step backwards. Wait and see what happens.

Last edited by shtfrbrains; 09-11-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:37 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
it always the new factor that gets us all, but the new 991 still has to grow on me....
keep your gt3 and wait to see what else Porsche has in store for the 991's

Old 09-11-2011, 12:03 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for all the comments thus far. For the record, I have been being patient (kinda ). I've been patiently waiting for the 991 to come out for a couple of years now instead jumping into a newer and cooler GT3MK2.

Typically, I am very opposed to buying cars late in their platform cycle because you're paying for new car but getting an old one (esp. w/ 996/7 which is a 14 year-old platform now). If I get the 991, I'll be paying for a car that's a new and current for 7 years. I might be willing to make an exception for something like an RS because it's such a special car and we probably won't see a 991 GT3/RS for a few years. I suppose none of this should matter because it's all about driving experience, but techno-geek likes the latest and greatest too.

I expect / hope we'll start seeing reviews shortly now that the car is being unveiled in Frankfurt this week. That should shed some light. I have been unable to find a single driver review thus far. Perf-wise, I'm expecting that the new 991C2S will perform as well or even out-perform the current GT3 in every way (gen1, which I own anyway). But if the car loses it's soul, then that'll be a deal breaker. It'll also be a C2S, not a 3 which I'm having a hard-time getting past (call me shallow if you want. Sorry.).

On the bright side, trying to decide between keeping my current GT3, upgrading to 3.8LGT3RS, or a 991 is a good problem to have.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:23 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Cool Can you actually out-drive your current Porsche

Resetting expectations and a bit of sole (!) searching here. So, I have limitations as far as my driving is concerned, whether it is on the road or on a track I can get the pucker factor almost at any time if I just want to or dare to do it. I can guarantee you that I can meet my limitations especially if I switch of all the electronics nanny toys my car has built in to save my neck and my a$$. So is getting a new car really about driving or posing I wonder or perhaps collecting? And more so, how often do I expect to hit my limitations per year. A few track days if I am lucky. Perhaps a better way is to have a great looking and running car so the DMV, the IRS and the Insurance Company are not walking away with $10K per year on charges, coverage, fees and taxes and were one goes out a RENTS a track car that will put you in "experimental mode - AKA getting your a$$ kicked royally" each and every time you really want to be Shoey or Senna and get told - one more time - that the skills are not even close to matching the cars capabilities. Then pull the tail between the legs and go home to ponder some more... Just sayin'.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991: I'm having second thoughts. Help?