Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

harness use with sport adaptive seats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:54 AM
greyhound is infamous around these partsgreyhound is infamous around these parts
harness use with sport adaptive seats?

I have a 2011 gt3. I am having a gmg rsr rollbar installed this week. I currently have sport adaptive seats which I find very comfortable and adjustable for track days. I would like to keep them. Will a six point harness work with this bar and theses seats? They don't have the openings for the shoulder straps and worry they may not be as secure as original belts in an accident. I like the look of the gt2 carbon fiber seats, just not ready. Thanks

Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Greyhound,

Hope you are enjoying your new GT3 and congrats on the new rollbar. Your sport adaptive seats may be comfortable but are not designed to be used with harnesses. You are correct that they will not be secure in an accident and can also change position while driving and create problems. The slots in the seats are crucial. Time to find yourself a good deal on the GT2 carbon buckets or another racing style seat with slots. At least you have a great excuse to upgrade. Suncoast should have the best deal - link on the right ->

Take care.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
^++++++++++++++++++

absolutely correct...with those seats your stock seatbelts are safer than the harness would be

Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
yep as above... do not install a 6 point system unless you have the buckets. You'll make a real mess of things should you go off and...

Old 09-19-2011, 01:22 PM
anotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by greyhound
I have a 2011 gt3. I am having a gmg rsr rollbar installed this week. I currently have sport adaptive seats which I find very comfortable and adjustable for track days. I would like to keep them. Will a six point harness work with this bar and theses seats? They don't have the openings for the shoulder straps and worry they may not be as secure as original belts in an accident. I like the look of the gt2 carbon fiber seats, just not ready. Thanks
The GT2 seats aren't cheap but I enjoy them very much. It was a natural next step after installing the GMG RSR rollbar. I found that by doing so, I was driving the car much easier as I wasn't fighting inertia around the turns. The added benefit of the buckets as well as the harnesses make for a different track experience.

And think of it this way - you can always sell them and get some $$$ back - seems they don't last long on the marketplace and fetch a good price.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:04 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Yep RSS is corret...can't use a harness with seats like the stock seats or adaptive. You need GT2 Sport Buckets that have holes for the harness straps.

Another consideration....if your car has air bags in the seats like 997 cars do then if you change the federally approved airbag system on your car and get into a wreck on the street your insurance company will not cover you if you or your passanger is hurt.

I considered aftermarket seats but heard about this and discussed this with my State Farm agent and their underwritting dept plus a accidnet lawyer I personally know. After I learned the facts about tampering with the cars airbag system and if I was in an accident on the street there is no way I would change that with after market brand seats and the Porsche GT2 seat that includes the side air bags int he seat is the only way to go.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:34 PM
greyhound is infamous around these partsgreyhound is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone. I think I need to sell my sport adaptive seats for the gt2 model. What is the best/easiest way to sell the seats? A reasonable price to accept? I have no idea. Crazy when you wake up at 6am and realize you're dreaming about rollbars, seats, air intakes, exhaust, bigger wings? WTF. I think I need a new hobby.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Trollinger is infamous around these parts
The seats are worth a little less than $2k and you can sell them on the forums. They go pretty fast. I would hang on to them in case you want to put the car back to stock when you sell. You may find they are impossible to find when you need them. Mine are doubling as office chairs at the moment. Mounting board and base and you are set. Brings a little of the garage into the house.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trollinger
...Mine are doubling as office chairs at the moment. Mounting board and base and you are set. Brings a little of the garage into the house.
Post up some pics of your custom office chairs Trollinger...

Old 09-20-2011, 09:54 AM
I see new alcantara additions to my bar/man cave. I think they will be a glorious addition to my forza set up, lazy boy chair and 1970's beer can collection my wife loves so much. Guess where everybody ends up at a party Thanks for the idea.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:59 AM
I knew the post was useless with out pics. I looked before posting, but I do not have any photos with me. I will post over the weekend. I can share where to get the base. http://www.swivel-chair-parts.com/kitsAll.html

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 09-26-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: active link to a commercial non-sponsor
Old 09-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Not the best picture, but you get the idea. I think they turned out really well, add to the room, and are very comfy. You can sit in them all day and not get tired. With a 12v battery (or charger) the seatbacks recline as well.

Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:39 AM
gstahl is a jewel in the roughgstahl is a jewel in the roughgstahl is a jewel in the rough
I would also take a look at the harness information on the HANS website. Very informative on how precisely harnesses should be mounted (seat designed for harnesses take this into account and will likely work well, as long as you fit them properly, seats not designed for harnesses would be nearly impossible to use correctly with a harness).

HANS Resources Page
Take a look at the "IMIS Guide to Seatbelt Installation"

Old 09-26-2011, 10:54 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gstahl
I would also take a look at the harness information on the HANS website. Very informative on how precisely harnesses should be mounted (seat designed for harnesses take this into account and will likely work well, as long as you fit them properly, seats not designed for harnesses would be nearly impossible to use correctly with a harness).

HANS Resources Page
Take a look at the "IMIS Guide to Seatbelt Installation"
Thanks for the link. Was always a bit confused regarding SA vs. SAH helmets. Any idea if it's difficult to rotate the nutwasher to index the anchor on an SA helmet?

Old 09-26-2011, 12:23 PM
gstahl is a jewel in the roughgstahl is a jewel in the roughgstahl is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bonehead
Any idea if it's difficult to rotate the nutwasher to index the anchor on an SA helmet?
I do not have personal experience, there seems to be some info here in the quick start guides (which are also a good read)....

HANS Quick-Start-Guides

Here is the paragraph about installing anchors, seems straight forward on the surface...
A. Gently pry helmet liner away from shell using blunt instrument (fig. 6) and insert the nutwasher inside the helmet against the shell using a wrench. Align with hole. Insert post through cap, spring and base and screw into nutwasher. Tighten until the point of the post faces rearward.
B. Use a 7/16” (11mm) wrench to hold the post anchor outside of the helmet in position and tighten from inside (fig. 7). Tighten 1⁄4 turn beyond snug. The flats and slot of the post anchor should be parallel with the ground and the point of the post should face the rear of the helmet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: harness use with sport adaptive seats?