Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Is this dangerous?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:35 AM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
A 997.2TTS is a monster. It'll be a big transition to go down to the low torque, high revs of the GT3.

If you're on the street most/all of the time the TTS is the way to go. If you do ANY track driving and get a chance to feel a GT3 on the track, you won't hestitate to make the jump.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 AM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
BartN,
The miles that I put in my cars are mostly highway miles. I just got back from the track last weekend and this is when the GT3 conversation started.
I might go to the track 4-6 times a year the most, but I would like to have the best car for track/DD there is. I am just hesitant that the GT3 can be too much of a rough ride. Don't get me wrong the tts is an awesome car (the best car I've has so far), but something is missing.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
If you could test drive a GT3 on the track you wouldn't even look back On the street test drive you may not understand much of the cars capabilities. The GT3 is much more involving car.

I say buy a .2 GT3

Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 AM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
All it took for me was a 15 min conservative test drive on a nice curvy road. I went home and started scouring ads. I did not fully appreciate the car until I took it to the track but I could immediately tell how much feedback it gave and could sense what it would be like. Can't remember the last time another car hooked me so hard after driving it. I still come home each night from work dreaming of time when I can track it or take it on a long drive.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:33 AM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
How many people DD their GT3 cars? Does anyone use their cars to drive around and as a track car?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Before I got my GT2, I was going back and forth of whether I should get a the brand new 3RS or TTS. And after testing both of them I felt thrilled with the 3RS and just Ok with the TTS. But I kept hesitating because, like you, I will do most of my commuting to work on the freeways (50miles round trip). So to use a 3RS for that seems like a waste for such a car, even though I would use it for the track and winding country roads at least weekly. At that price point I really wanted to be sure.
My GT2 gives me best of both, but I rarely drive it to work, instead I use the CTT for that. But I need to get another cheap commuter car to share in the miles.
Back to the GT2, it is modded and is just as fast as a TTS on the straights but that does not thrill me the most. Its the way it takes corners and feels like a go-kart compared to the TTS. After taking a spirited drive with a buddy who has a TT we switched cars for a little and his car felt like a lexus after coming from my GT2. Its very hard to explain.
I would say if you can find a slightly used 997.2 3RS that you should get that for the fun factor and find a cheap suitable DD for work.

Looking forward to hear your experience with the 3.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 AM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sanchezdds
How many people DD their GT3 cars? Does anyone use their cars to drive around and as a track car?
Yes, I use mine as both a street car and a track car. After all, the car was designed to do both. It is more compromised on the street than other cars for all the reasons that have been mentioned before. However, if you like to be totally involved with your driving, as opposed to just viewing the car as transportation to get from point A to point B, then it's hard to go back to anything else once you've driven a GT3. I look for any excuse I can to take the GT3 out on the street, although driving on the track is far more exciting for sure.

Last edited by jakegt3; 09-22-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Omg

I test drove the 2007 Guards Red GT3. All I can say is, "I get it!".
I have not really looked at the GT3 in detail before, but it does look more agressive than the TT. The wing in the back gives it a nice look in my opinion. I was impressed by the stance of the car as well. It does look a lot lower than the tt.
Anyways, the car felt like I was driving it, and not being driven. I felt more connected to the car. There was this "visceral" feeling. The sound was intoxicating, the car vibrates minimally letting you know that she is ready to be driven. The suspension was tight, but not to the point of annoying.
The rear wanted to dance when I tried to push her in a turn, but I liked it. She did feel more lighter and nimble compared to the tt. It drives somewhat harsher , but not enough to bother me. Would driving the car every single day change my mind? Not sure....
There is definitely more cabin noise.
No torque in the lower gears- 2009 or 2010 engine improvement. Has anyone driven both? the 3.6 vs the 3.8
I could enjoy the car if the car had a little more torque than the 2007.
On my way home in my tts, I noticed the difference almost immediately between the two cars. Both are just amazing cars in their own right, but there is a clear distinction. The TT or TTS is a well polished monster with a hint of luxurious GT. The GT3 is as close you are going to get to driving a race car.
Conclusion: I loved it!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:24 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sanchezdds
I test drove the 2007 Guards Red GT3. All I can say is, "I get it!".
I have not really looked at the GT3 in detail before, but it does look more agressive than the TT. The wing in the back gives it a nice look in my opinion. I was impressed by the stance of the car as well. It does look a lot lower than the tt.
Anyways, the car felt like I was driving it, and not being driven. I felt more connected to the car. There was this "visceral" feeling. The sound was intoxicating, the car vibrates minimally letting you know that she is ready to be driven. The suspension was tight, but not to the point of annoying.
The rear wanted to dance when I tried to push her in a turn, but I liked it. She did feel more lighter and nimble compared to the tt. It drives somewhat harsher , but not enough to bother me. Would driving the car every single day change my mind? Not sure....
There is definitely more cabin noise.
No torque in the lower gears- 2009 or 2010 engine improvement. Has anyone driven both? the 3.6 vs the 3.8
I could enjoy the car if the car had a little more torque than the 2007.
On my way home in my tts, I noticed the difference almost immediately between the two cars. Both are just amazing cars in their own right, but there is a clear distinction. The TT or TTS is a well polished monster with a hint of luxurious GT. The GT3 is as close you are going to get to driving a race car.
Conclusion: I loved it!
go get it!

no difference in gearing between 997.1 gt3, 997.1RS and 997.2 gt3

997.2 RS has a numerically higher ring and pinion and shorter 6th gear which makes the gearing lower.

997.1 gt3, 997.1RS and 997.2 gt3 - 3.44 ring and pinion
997.2 RS -- 3.89 ring and pinion

Any of the cars can be regeared though

Old 09-22-2011, 04:12 PM
RT-TURBO is infamous around these parts
see, we told you

Ah ha we tried to warn you, now that you've driven the GT3 it will only grow in your mind so just get one and keep the Turbo. I did and thought I'd sell one or the other in few months when I tired of one over the other but guess what, you don't tire enough to sell one. Life's a B&^%h when you 're faced with which of these two cars to drive today. Capitalism at it's finest.God Bless America

Old 09-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Flip is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Flip
You've already bought the GT3.
as I said yesterday ^

Old 09-22-2011, 05:02 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Another victim..........Get the GT3.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Is the GT3 and the GT3 RS that different of a car? I am having a hard time deciding what color to get if/when I decide to purchase. I like all of them, but feel that I will be using this as my DD so not wanting too much of a bold color. At first, I kept looking at the green and orange, but I might get tired of it after awhile. My cars in the past have been Black and grey and that's it. Decisions, decisions...

Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 PM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
Someone here or on RL said it very well:
- street car with some track time: GT3
- track car with some street time: RS

Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks Chris! That description really helps. A GT3 is the ticket.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this dangerous?