Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Is this dangerous?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:24 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
So there's no way to get a separate car for the track? If you only track a couple of times a year, then I would say stick with the TTS. But if you've been bitten by the track bug and plan on going 10+ times a year, then go for the GT3.

I have a TT for the street and an Exige for the track. I'm really enjoying this combination at the moment. I love the power on tap combined with a compliant suspension of the turbo for street driving, while the Exige with mods is a force to be reckoned with on the track.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sanchezdds
I test drove the 2007 Guards Red GT3. All I can say is, "I get it!".
I have not really looked at the GT3 in detail before, but it does look more agressive than the TT. The wing in the back gives it a nice look in my opinion. I was impressed by the stance of the car as well. It does look a lot lower than the tt.
Anyways, the car felt like I was driving it, and not being driven. I felt more connected to the car. There was this "visceral" feeling. The sound was intoxicating, the car vibrates minimally letting you know that she is ready to be driven. The suspension was tight, but not to the point of annoying.
The rear wanted to dance when I tried to push her in a turn, but I liked it. She did feel more lighter and nimble compared to the tt. It drives somewhat harsher , but not enough to bother me. Would driving the car every single day change my mind? Not sure....
That minimal vibrations you get from the engine thru seats, feel of the road thru steering and sound of that high revving motor is what made all GT cars special. The more you drive it, the more you'll fall in love with. At least to me and many others who owns one. It is very odd. You have to own it to know it. My 996 GT3 was DD and weekend warrior at the track. Loved it! Now have the 7.1 RS and loving it even more!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
If only I didn't live at altitude the GT3RS would be my car. But the thin air starves a GT3 motor and you're looking at a 15-20% HP loss easily. My Turbo breathes much easier and I doubt I'll buy many NA performance cars whiel I live in my house at 8000'. My G550 did fine, but I often wondered what I was really missing compared to driving it at street level. That thing was a brick in corners anyway so I probably didn't miss much.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:51 PM
chiffonade is infamous around these parts
My GT3 is my first Porsche after owning lots of sports cars. Unlike many of the people here, I don't track my car.

Everything else feels like driving a mattress now. I absolutely *hate* absent-minded drivers and people who change lanes without signaling etc. so my ultra-maneuverable GT3 is like a rolling shield of armor against the incredible amount of stupidity that inhabits public streets.

You can literally feel it when you drive over a pebble or a tiny crack in the pavement. I love that. The fact that it winds up like an old school Japanese turbo car is just a bonus for me.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:27 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Drive the GT3 to know and be honest with yourself about what you like. That's the only way to know. Everybody is different.

Back in 2000, I had a 996Turbo and thought I liked but I sold it after I came to terms with the fact that I liked my M3 LTW more. That's what I mean by being honest with yourself. Believe me, the realization that I liked my LTW more than the MUCH more expensive Turbo that I had just purchased wasn't an easy thing for me to grasp.

The GT3 has ruined me. I loved when I got it, and love it even more now. For its price range, everything else I drive feels heavy and numb. I am stuck driving the GT3 forever or at least until I can make it big so I can consider 458 as a DD. And even then, who knows .. I make still like the GT3 better.

The other thing to consider is that you can really enjoy the GT3 on the street. The GT3 feels exciting to drive even at 35 MPH. Just drop the windows, listen to that sound, and experience the aliveness of the car and the way it feels in your hands. For me, the Turbo does not start to get exciting except at go-to-jail speeds. Thus, the GT3 is a better DD than a Turbo IMO, and that’s why I have one as a DD instead of a Turbo. But if it’s a more luxurious ride and experience you seek, then the Turbo is probably right for you and there’s certainly nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:08 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Doctor, there a 3 or 4 very nice & new GT-3s in LA, 2 of which I was close to buying. I was closest on the Aqua Blue at Autogallery and speak with David Lang. AG also has a black & silver. At Rusnak talk to Stephen Rumph about the black one. They are looking to deal and you can't go wrong with new. Get the axle lift to make your life easier. Tell them Jim with the DB9 mentioned it & G/L keep us advised. I drove 2007 & 8 and also 2010 and there seemed to be "minor" differences but nothing earth-shattering.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:58 PM
dan212 is infamous around these parts
Oh boy.. The salesman and general manager suggested that you give it a whirl?? How innocent..

TT and GT3? Apples and Oranges. Very different cars made for different purposes. The GT3 is made for the track and can be fun on the street. The TT is fun on the street and can be driven on the track.

I love my GT3.. But a very different beast than a TT. My 996/GT3 is very heavily track prepped. Very stiff and loud. Its also my DD and I love every second with it. However if I were NOT taking it to the track, I would probably opt for something a little quieter and more comfortable. Nah.... I bought a 996 race car and still drive the GT3 (but thats because I also already have it)

As for revs....

Keep in mind that the GT3 engine is meant to generate its power at full song - high revs. Its a sweet sound and a pleasure. Keep the revs up and you will be astounded by its power. Its not meant to generate power across a super broad rev band like the TT. Its designed for the track.. And the cool part is that with the very long gearing in my GT3, I get better milage than my girlfriend does in her Boxster. 25MPG on the highway at a (ummm) healthy speed with the engine ticking over at 2-3K in 6th gear

996-997.1? the 996 is raw and visceral. No electronic aids other than ABS. The 997.1 has a tad more power and a tad more electronic support (traction control). Pretty close though. 997.2 (mark II). Thats the 3.8.. Much faster. More power. The stability and traction control is pretty impressive on the track. All in all the 997.2 is an impressive, powerful car. The center lock wheels are unloved by all that I know because they are expensive..

I like the 996 better. Thats me..

And remember that GT3's are lower and driveways are no longer your friend

Old 09-25-2011, 04:53 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
If you feel there is a lack of torque down low (which over 4,000 RPMs I think it's pretty strong), then you can go for .2 with the 3.8L engine. I don't believe it's too obvious but it is noticeable when you drive back to back.

It's about the same price as .1 RS and has better performance.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:21 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Many many thanks to everyone that has posted. Every well intentioned post on this thread has helped get a few steps closer to the world of the GT3.
I have started looking for a 2010+ GT3.
My tts has ceramic brakes which I have loved so far. I love the feel and the lack of brake dust of the ceramics. What do you guys think of ceramic brakes for the GT3?
The people that I have spoken to so far, have said that these ceramic brakes are of superior quality compared to the first generation and they should last at least 100,000 miles if not tracked too aggressively.
In terms of seats, are the bucket seats that uncomfortable to do some street driving? I've heard the adjustable seats is the way to go....is this correct?

Old 09-25-2011, 06:07 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
If you are going to track your car, bucket seats and the steel brakes would be the way to go.

Bucket seats for street driving are fine with the exception if you daily drive your car. It might get cumbersome for daily driving but for a weekend car they are great.

There have been numerous discussions on PCCB for the track but if you are seriously doing a number of track days, you could save the PCCB's or you can sell them fairly easily, and convert over to steel brakes. I feel steel brakes give better initial bite and they give better feedback at least in my experience.

good luck with your search. You will not be disappointed in the car.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:34 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SKXF430
If you are going to track your car, bucket seats and the steel brakes would be the way to go.

Bucket seats for street driving are fine with the exception if you daily drive your car. It might get cumbersome for daily driving but for a weekend car they are great.
Does this apply if you only track your car about 5- 7 times a year.
There have been numerous discussions on PCCB for the track but if you are seriously doing a number of track days, you could save the PCCB's or you can sell them fairly easily, and convert over to steel brakes. I feel steel brakes give better initial bite and they give better feedback at least in my experience.

good luck with your search. You

will not be disappointed in the
car.
Does this apply if you are only intending to track the car about 5-7 times a year. This car will be mostly as a daily.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
I don't daily drive mine but I don't see it as an issue.

They are pretty comfortable for long distances. The only inconvenience is getting out of them whereas I usually just slide them all the way back to make it easier getting out of the car.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Red Devil
Doctor, there a 3 or 4 very nice & new GT-3s in LA, 2 of which I was close to buying. I was closest on the Aqua Blue at Autogallery and speak with David Lang. AG also has a black & silver. At Rusnak talk to Stephen Rumph about the black one. They are looking to deal and you can't go wrong with new. Get the axle lift to make your life easier. Tell them Jim with the DB9 mentioned it & G/L keep us advised. I drove 2007 & 8 and also 2010 and there seemed to be "minor" differences but nothing earth-shattering.
Red Devil,
Thanks for the information. I'll check those cars. My preference is a pre-owned with a few miles.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:37 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sanchezdds
Red Devil,
Thanks for the information. I'll check those cars. My preference is a pre-owned with a few miles.
If you like red, there's a 2010 with less than 2000 miles here on the East Coast that probably can be had for a song. If interested, it's at Porsche of Roslyn and ask for Evan, the dealer principal.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:53 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
If the lack of torque bothered you, try to find a '08 GT2 for a test drive before you pull the trigger.
As mentioned before it is the best of both worlds: has the power you're used to from the TTS and the GT series suspension, RWD and lightweight.
You will be missing on the sound, and the engine wont rev to 8k+ rpm, but you'll have the power available in every gear and any rpm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this dangerous?