Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 gets no PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
I am getting teary eyed seeing all the pro-manual guys post on this thread. There is still hope gents!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:18 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Honestly, Im disappointed it isnt an option...or a "sequential light" with a third pedal for starts but with flat upshifts with auto-blip...to me that would be the best car ever put on the road...

Old 09-28-2011, 12:34 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
I love the idea of manual only. Great job Porsche

Old 09-28-2011, 01:32 PM
dave-t is infamous around these parts
Not putting a PDK in the GT3 made my decision about my next Porsche real easy and my wallet a little heavier. I just ordered a nicely optioned Cayman R. Now I just take off the stock suspension and put my JRZ Coilovers, TPC drop links, toe links and sway bars.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sechsgang
Honestly, Im disappointed it isnt an option...or a "sequential light" with a third pedal for starts but with flat upshifts with auto-blip...to me that would be the best car ever put on the road...
Give us a few months and we'll be able to build that car for you...

Old 09-28-2011, 06:40 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Cool Wy not go all the way -

And have a sequential gear box (complete with 3th pedal) for ultimate control and additional difficulty to do it "well". Now that would be something nice. Hmmm...

Old 09-28-2011, 08:44 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fcar348
very disappointed! they have to offer dct option in 991 gt3. is porsche trying to be like corvette with this?

ps. heavychevy, i noticed your quote about gtr being harder to drift than gt3. i dont agree at all. i had my 07 gt3 on track about 25 times and never managed to drift an inch despite trying. 4 times with new gtr and im beginning to learn how to do it.
That is old, and I was referring to a magazine comparison, I hadn't looked at it I forgot it was there. However I will say that drifting a GT3 is VERY easy, unless you tried to do it with slicks on in 4th gear around a corner.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
I am glad! The 4.0 is such a pure driving experience it would be totally ruined by paddles.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by terrence
I am glad! The 4.0 is such a pure driving experience it would be totally ruined by paddles.
Obviously you guys havent driven any new cups around the track...haha. The BANGs that happen upon shifts are the next best thing to an orgasm...sometimes better... Ill be in a GT class GTO-R tomorrow with a similar trans (only I have to blip myself on downshifts) and I can tell you I am far happier about the fact it has a sequential rather than a 6speed...like the damn GS cars...

Old 09-28-2011, 10:35 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Obviously!

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Obviously you guys havent driven any new cups around the track...haha. The BANGs that happen upon shifts are the next best thing to an orgasm...sometimes better... Ill be in a GT class GTO-R tomorrow with a similar trans (only I have to blip myself on downshifts) and I can tell you I am far happier about the fact it has a sequential rather than a 6speed...like the damn GS cars...

Old 09-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
The street version of the PDK won't work with the split case motor. Hence the 997.2 Turbo dropped the split case motor in favor of the PDK. The track oriented cars GT2/GT3 kept the race proven split case motor. Porsche seems to be in the middle of an identity crisis.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
What's funny is that the people pining for PDK don't even think about the fact that the car will still shift without you so the paddles end up being a novelty because in all likelihood the car will shift at a better part in the power band on it's own that you will, making the driver involvement required even less. I'm sure you can concentrate on the road even more driving an Automatic.

That is a big FAIL for me when it comes to the track and will never happen. EVER!!!! Not saying I wouldn't drive one, but I would never choose that as my primary option.

And don't even mention repairs after warranty if you are talking about modded, or dedicated track cars or cars out of warranty.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
What's funny is that the people pining for PDK don't even think about the fact that the car will still shift without you so the paddles end up being a novelty because in all likelihood the car will shift at a better part in the power band on it's own that you will, making the driver involvement required even less. I'm sure you can concentrate on the road even more driving an Automatic.

That is a big FAIL for me when it comes to the track and will never happen. EVER!!!! Not saying I wouldn't drive one, but I would never choose that as my primary option.

And don't even mention repairs after warranty if you are talking about modded, or dedicated track cars or cars out of warranty.
HEAVY! Ill be down in MIA over the winter practicing for next season...come to Homestead/PBIR/Moroso/Sebring sometime!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Are you running the whole season? What car? Sorry I missed you when you were in Atlanta, got caught up in a big promotion for my business.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy

Why would the PDK shift for you?

I haven't exactly redlined all of the PDK's I've borrowed, but in the GT-R's DCT, when in manual mode, will stay in gear until you shift (only downshifting to prevent the stalling of the motor (i.e. going down below 750 RPM's, which wouldn't happen on track anyway)). But it doesn't not upshift for you (unless you are drag racing, and forget to upshift 1-2 - but to stop that, just put the transmission in 'R' mode, and all upshifts are manual, and automatic downshifts only occur to prevent stalling).

Are you suggesting that the PDK does not allow for bouncing off the rev limiter? I thought I did this in Sport mode, and I thought I hit the rev limiter a few times in a C2S. I may be mistaken.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 gets no PDK