Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 gets no PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911dev
Deposit here as well; manual too, no matter if PDK is an option or not.

Will you consider the RS? I have first right on either car. Don't know that I want to dump another $20k over the gt3 on one though. Problem is I have strongly considered PCCBs this round as I only street and dig the look, low weight and minimal dust. However, once you opt to pay $9k for them, an RS is closer.
I prefer the "regular" GT3. I do a few track days a year but it's mostly a street car so i want dare I say a bit more luxury so for me it's the perfect model. I have PCCB's and love them, big price tag but like you say minimal dust, less weight and I love the way they grab so I will probably get them again.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM
KYROCKS is infamous around these parts
991 RS for me!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 PM
easy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really nice
What will happen when the 991 GTS is released, available with PDK, and the cab is as quick as a GT3... and cheaper? Staying pure is one thing, but what's the point of having the "pure" 911 being out run by a tuned Cayman R with paddles? If the GT3 is intended to be the top of the N/A food chain, then it needs to be available with all its teeth. Don't like paddles, don't order them... slowing the car down (for everyone else) to keep it "honest" for a handful of true believers does actually sound more poser-ish, no?

Old 01-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by easy_button
What will happen when the 991 GTS is released, available with PDK, and the cab is as quick as a GT3... and cheaper? Staying pure is one thing, but what's the point of having the "pure" 911 being out run by a tuned Cayman R with paddles? If the GT3 is intended to be the top of the N/A food chain, then it needs to be available with all its teeth. Don't like paddles, don't order them... slowing the car down (for everyone else) to keep it "honest" for a handful of true believers does actually sound more poser-ish, no?

Great point.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:42 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by easy_button
I don't see how a 991 GTS Cab with PDK will possibly be faster to any speed above 60 when the 991 C2S Coupe w/PDK AND launch control can't match the 997.2 GT3s times to 100 and beyond. As far as price goes, a GTS Cab is going to be more competitive with the price of a 991 gt3 rather than its performance

A 991 gt3 with a manual will very likely pull away from a PDK GTS Cab to any speed >75 +/-, even when launched with PDK. That's in a straight line, cripe, delete LC, add two corners and the gt3 driver will have the car washed, waxed and be on his second Heineken by the time the Cab waddles around.

Who cares about a couple tenths to 60 only attributable when LC is used. Some may, but I don't especially when LC is used.

Last edited by 911dev; 01-20-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:09 PM
NITEALB is infamous around these parts
Ordering PDK is obviously a very personal thing. I had pdk in my turbo s and loved it, until i got to the track. I traded in my 2011 gt3 rs for the turbo s and hoped to get something more dual purpose. turns out having pdk is great on the street, leaving it in sport plus mode was fun. but i really missed the stick shift. I had problems at the track where i got a message "transmission emergency run" several times - went to the dealer and tried several things and it kept coming back. sold the turbo s and got back into gt3 rs and couldn't be happier. as a track rat i'd like to have the new technology but not at the expense of reliability and extra weight. all this torque vectoring crap and other nannies should be left to other models. the gt3 and rs cars should be as pure as possible. at the same time i understand guys that want pdk as an option on the gt3, providing its only an option i'd happily by the next rs.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 911dev
I don't see how a 991 GTS Cab with PDK will possibly be faster to any speed above 60 when the 991 C2S Coupe w/PDK AND launch control can't match the 997.2 GT3s times to 100 and beyond

A 991 gt3 with a manual will walk away from a PDK S GTS Cab to any speed >75 +/-, even when launched with PDK. That's in a straight line, cripe, delete LC, add two corners and the gt3 driver will have the car washed, waxed and be on his second Heineken by the time the Cab waddles around.

Who cares about a couple tenths to 60 only attributable when LC is used. Some may, but I don't.
Exactly. The GT3 will continue to have a better PtW ratio, a stock LSD, with superior brakes and suspension than the other 991 variants. Take it to the track and it's lap times will speak for itself compared to the other cars.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:59 PM
ENV² is a jewel in the roughENV² is a jewel in the roughENV² is a jewel in the rough
Didnt mean to come off condescending to those who love PDK.

My only point is that maybe Porsche has a reason behind this. Maybe they want this to be a driver's car. PDK is amazing. I love it but maybe Porsche wants a certain person to buy this car. Maybe they feel it is a track car and manuals are truly better for the track? Ralph Lauren has manuals in all of his cars that have an option for manual but thats his choice.

I love manual transmissions and PDK but I think this is a manufaturer either making its own rule about being a GT3 owner or listening to what its drivers on test tracks said. Im sure this was well thought out.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
I don't see a GTS being available again until the end of the model run as with the 997 just like the turbo S.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Big Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura about
I did however read somewhere that rsr will have paddles

Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 PM
scbra is infamous around these parts
Maybe the idea here is that if PDK was offered, they would lose Turbo customer to a cheaper car? With less blin, blin options turbo bring in more money! They must have done a deep business research and found that loyal GT3 owners want manual only. I am ok with both, but manual is my favorite.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by KYROCKS
991 RS for me!
You track and will definitely appreciate an RS more than me. I still may go that route. It is going to be hard to swallow when my dealer asks for another $45k or so, in addition to my .2 gt3 just to trade up to the 991 gt3. speculation re: price of course, but I bet I'm not far off. $65 ~ $70k for an RS is going to be painful...

Last edited by 911dev; 01-22-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Big Al
I did however read somewhere that rsr will have paddles

FIA has made paddle shifters compliant for pro racing so yes the RSR will have paddle shifters, that is still pretty lame, but in this economy it's cost effective for teams having to rebuild transmissions every couple of races, and easier on the drivers who race for up to 2hr stints non-stop.

And still, I'd much prefer a REAL mechanical sequential over PDK (I.E. Ferrari F430/360 etc.). Maybe Porsche is working on some innovative instead of using what everyone else has. But still I'd prefer Porsche stick to requiring the driver to have skill to go fast in a GT3 and stick with manual only.

The GT3 is not top of the NA totem pole any more, and it won't be, because that would reduce the market for the GT2 (and because the engine isn't competitive with V8's and V10's that make 500-600 hp with their eyes closed).

As if Porsche would be stupid enough to build a Cayman or GTS that's faster than the GT3........ Comon, really?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NITEALB
Ordering PDK is obviously a very personal thing. I had pdk in my turbo s and loved it, until i got to the track. I traded in my 2011 gt3 rs for the turbo s and hoped to get something more dual purpose. turns out having pdk is great on the street, leaving it in sport plus mode was fun. but i really missed the stick shift. I had problems at the track where i got a message "transmission emergency run" several times - went to the dealer and tried several things and it kept coming back. sold the turbo s and got back into gt3 rs and couldn't be happier. as a track rat i'd like to have the new technology but not at the expense of reliability and extra weight. all this torque vectoring crap and other nannies should be left to other models. the gt3 and rs cars should be as pure as possible. at the same time i understand guys that want pdk as an option on the gt3, providing its only an option i'd happily by the next rs.
Yep PDK is a personal choice...however I've been doing track event with PDK since Sept 2008...overall 70 ish track events between 2 PDK,cars, and zero issues with PDK at the track or on the street.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 AM
SIIK2NR is infamous around these parts
Good for porsche to keep it manual. For those that want PDK as an option... suck it up. 6MT guys would love to have 6MT as an option such as GTR's AMG's etc.

This is a perfect example of a win-win for porsche. They keep their turbo customers that can't drive a stick, and they earn loyalty points with the hardcore manual enthusiast.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 gets no PDK