Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 depreciation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Grand Pumba
Mr. RS is infamous around these parts
If you drive on the street PCCB is fine, if you track the car 10K miles seems to be the rule before they are toast.

Saying that the steel brakes dont last very long and show cracks after 1 hard days driving.

There are fixs for these problems, however I think that the best advice anyone has given is to try both cars before you buy.

They are completely differant, choose the right car and you will love it forever, choose the wrong one and it will always be "what if"

Turbos are crap on track, GT3's are (subjectivley) crap on the street.

P.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:06 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Mr. RS

P.
Gt's are still fun on the street. As far as a turbo being crap on the track...stock perhaps...well tuned with sways, motons ect I think not....

Old 04-28-2005, 06:32 PM
GeorgeJ is infamous around these parts
I have driven both cars, but not extensively. My impressions are as following:

1. The GT3 definitely handles better. Its handling characteristics are much more immediate and responsive versus the turbo. I thought the ride quality was relatively similar and did not think the GT3 rode poorly.

2. I love the low end torque of the turbo, but I also like the GT3's sharper throttle response and NA power delivery. This is a toss up to me, but I do like the ability of the turbo to make a lot more power with basic bolt ons.

3. The interior amenities of the turbo is nice, especially the back seat for my kids. A luxurious interior is a definite plus, but not a big deal.

4. I definitely prefer the GT3's aural tones it makes and overall feel compared to the turbo. The GT3 feels alive in comparison to the turbo. The turbo almost felt too refined. But then again, a test drive is very different than driving the car on a daily basis.

Does the GT3's edginess start to get tedious over time if driven daily or does it only get better with time?

I like different qualities of both cars, but unfortunately can only have one. Ideally, the GT2 is the right choice, but my budget is $100k.

I know the decision is for me to make, but I don't want to make the wrong one if at all possible. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and your input has been greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help.

George.

Last edited by GeorgeJ; 04-28-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:54 PM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by GeorgeJ
I have driven both cars, but not extensively. My impressions are as following:

1. The GT3 definitely handles better. Its handling characteristics are much more immediate and responsive versus the turbo. I thought the ride quality was relatively similar and did not think the GT3 rode poorly.

2. I love the low end torque of the turbo, but I also like the GT3's sharper throttle response and NA power delivery. This is a toss up to me, but I do like the ability of the turbo to make a lot more power with basic bolt ons.

3. The interior amenities of the turbo is nice, especially the back seat for my kids. A luxurious interior is a definite plus, but not a big deal.

4. I definitely prefer the GT3's aural tones it makes and overall feel compared to the turbo. The GT3 feels alive in comparison to the turbo. The turbo almost felt too refined. But then again, a test drive is very different than driving the car on a daily basis.

Does the GT3's edginess start to get tedious over time if driven daily or does it only get better with time?

I like different qualities of both cars, but unfortunately can only have one. Ideally, the GT2 is the right choice, but my budget is $100k.

I know the decision is for me to make, but I don't want to make the wrong one if at all possible. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and your input has been greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help.

George.
sounds like you already made up your mind.

enjoy your new GT3!!

Old 04-29-2005, 12:29 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
If you drive on the street PCCB is fine, if you track the car 10K miles seems to be the rule before they are toast.

Saying that the steel brakes dont last very long and show cracks after 1 hard days driving.

There are fixs for these problems, however I think that the best advice anyone has given is to try both cars before you buy.

They are completely differant, choose the right car and you will love it forever, choose the wrong one and it will always be "what if"

P.
Stock turbo's are not great on the track but that can all be changed. I dare you to run against my turbo on the track!

Old 04-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Turbo Racer is infamous around these parts
George,

looks like you're heading toward a 3. congrats and please let us see pics of the car when you get it.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:43 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by gabf1
George,

looks like you're heading toward a 3. congrats and please let us see pics of the car when you get it.
i agree geoff,

it seems to me he is leanin towards the gt3.. regardless turbo or 3 .. ull get an awesom car.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by buddyg
Stock turbo's are not great on the track but that can all be changed. I dare you to run against my turbo on the track!

That all depends on the configuration of the track. You would be very fast in a GT3 on a short track!

Old 04-29-2005, 01:00 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
If it is seriously a daily driver for work commuting, ect...I would go turbo...

Old 04-29-2005, 07:09 PM
GeorgeJ is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by rockitman
If it is seriously a daily driver for work commuting, ect...I would go turbo...
I would probably drive the car 10,000 miles a year as follows:

Commuting and cruising around: 75%
Aggressive street driving: 20%
Track events: <5%

Old 04-29-2005, 10:29 PM
Carmel is infamous around these parts
Drove my '04 TT w/ X50 daily before I got the CGT and loved it. I also have small kids who rode occasionally; no problem there. Never tracked the TT, but plan to the CGT. As a daily driver the CGT can fit the profile, but I'd probably drive past my job for ~ 100 miles; automotive nirvana

Sound like a GT3 for you though.

Old 04-30-2005, 05:44 AM
Grand Pumba
Talking

Originally posted by buddyg

Buddy G, Any time you are in the area let me know.

Always up for a challange!

P.

Old 04-30-2005, 05:52 AM
Buddy G, Any time you are in the area let me know.

Always up for a challange!

P.
You may want to extend Mr. Buddyg a copy of the left foot applicator, so that you can make a fair race of it....

Old 04-30-2005, 06:04 AM
Grand Pumba
Talking

Good Point, Will have to send him the latest version so I dont get accused of cheating when his bottom gets politely smacked.

P.

Must remember to post the latest Roundel design.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:04 AM
dwishen is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Carmel
Drove my '04 TT w/ X50 daily before I got the CGT and loved it. I also have small kids who rode occasionally; no problem there. Never tracked the TT, but plan to the CGT. As a daily driver the CGT can fit the profile, but I'd probably drive past my job for ~ 100 miles; automotive nirvana

Sound like a GT3 for you though.
Carmel,

Please check you PMs.

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 depreciation