Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Gt3 as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mr. B
My GT3 came with Pirelli P-Zero Corsa's and when I corded the rears at the track I switched to the new Pilot Super Sports and they are great, even on the track. No problems with PASM or traction control.

Mr. B
same to all of the above. i have a feeling that the PSS might last longer than the Corsas as well

Old 11-05-2011, 11:48 AM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Here are some links for you (not trying to be a smart a$$ here):

http://www.bing.com/search?q=gt3+daily+driver

http://www.google.com/search?q=gt3 daily driver

This topic has been coverd many times here on this forum and elsewhere.

Like a lot of folks, I've owned Turbos in the past but the initial lure of the torque and hp quickly wore off after which I no longer found them exciting.

The GT3 works well as a daily. It's one of the things that makes it stand out compared to other hardened sports cars IMO. There are obvious trade-offs like needing to be careful over speed bumps, getting in and out of the car is harder (but not hard), the stereo is not as good as other cars in its price point, yady, yada, yada. But if you're looking for something that's truly exciting to drive every day the the GT3 does not disappoint.

Last edited by rja; 11-05-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: fixed urls
Old 11-05-2011, 12:08 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sharkster
The front nose is a bit low but other than that?
i would not take it light and would check very carefully your usual driving routes. like - i planned on driving my kid to his montessori pre-school but alas, they had a driveway on the way out where my stock car could not go through without braking off front bumper. it rendered my car out of daily use pretty much for 1.5 years and it was a base 997 car, not a gt3 with its extremey low front. speedbumps, ramps to parking garages, driveways - it all will become an issue. it took away my original plans to put aerokit on her, as it is simply not practical to such degree that it looses any sense.

but if all you do is driving from point a to point b on nice flat roads - then, why not?

Old 11-05-2011, 02:20 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by evil panda
same to all of the above. i have a feeling that the PSS might last longer than the Corsas as well
PSSs will last a lot longer than the Corsas or Cups for that matter, however, I really doubt they are a better track tire than the Corsa, corded or not.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:38 PM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Qs997Turbo
My GT3 RS is my daily driver and I love it! The car is so responsive and fun to drive. I would just plan on replacing the front lip and tires once or twice a year :-)

You mention replacing tires once or twice a year, how many street miles (roughly) can I expect to put on sport cup tires before they need to be replaced. replacing twice a year can get old fast on such expensive tires...

Old 11-05-2011, 07:33 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PaulChristian
You mention replacing tires once or twice a year, how many street miles (roughly) can I expect to put on sport cup tires before they need to be replaced. replacing twice a year can get old fast on such expensive tires...
You should be able to go about 1 year on Corsas (7,500 mi) if as a daily driver. If you get the PSS, you can expect to get much better tire life but I have no first-hand experience with them -- just stands to reason given differences in compound. I had a good run w/ the Pilot Sports (not the MPSCs) in terms of longevity but didn't care for them much.

If you're considering a GT3 for a daily, I wouldn't let tires dissuade you. There are plenty of good options out there that will give you good perf and longevity. Just don’t expect them to perform as well as the factory rubber. I was really happy with the RE11s I put on my GT3.

Sounds like you’re in the market for a GT3. If you’re in fact thinking about a GT3RS then keep in mind options are much more limited (i.e., just the MPSCs) because of the 325 rears. That is assuming you want to retain factory sizing.

---

[edit] I should add that I've had problems getting Corsas on a couple of occassions. That's why I went with the Pilot Sports and RE11s, and because I didn't want the MPSCs. Never bothered to check into why, but seems like Pirelli produces them while the GT3 is in production and then stops. I could be completely wrong here so take the last statement with a grain of salt, but what I am sure of is that's I've run into problems getting them in the past.

Last edited by rja; 11-05-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:57 PM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rja
You should be able to go about 1 year on Corsas (7,500 mi) if as a daily driver. If you get the PSS, you can expect to get much better tire life but I have no first-hand experience with them -- just stands to reason given differences in compound. I had a good run w/ the Pilot Sports (not the MPSCs) in terms of longevity but didn't care for them much.

If you're considering a GT3 for a daily, I wouldn't let tires dissuade you. There are plenty of good options out there that will give you good perf and longevity. Just don’t expect them to perform as well as the factory rubber. I was really happy with the RE11s I put on my GT3.

Sounds like you’re in the market for a GT3. If you’re in fact thinking about a GT3RS then keep in mind options are much more limited (i.e., just the MPSCs) because of the 325 rears. That is assuming you want to retain factory sizing.

---

[edit] I should add that I've had problems getting Corsas on a couple of occassions. That's why I went with the Pilot Sports and RE11s, and because I didn't want the MPSCs. Never bothered to check into why, but seems like Pirelli produces them while the GT3 is in production and then stops. I could be completely wrong here so take the last statement with a grain of salt, but what I am sure of is that's I've run into problems getting them in the past.
Thank you for the great feedback! Lots of good information. I am in the market for a GT3 or GT3RS. Still somewhat undecided...leaning toward RS.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:50 AM
kumar75150 is infamous around these parts
I got about 6000 miles on each set of Corsas and that included about 2-3 track days on each set. The Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are probably similar. I'm switching to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for street driving since I have an extra set of wheels now. I'd expect 15,000 miles out of those, maybe more and they are good enough that you won't notice much of a dropoff driving on the street.

I have put about 13,000 miles on my car in the last 12 months and am finally about to replace the front spoiler ($250). I don't have the front end lift. Other than the few days we get ice and snow, the GT3 is a fine daily. It might get old if you experience rush hour regularly.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:09 PM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone for your responses. I test drove a white 2011 gt3- I loved everything about it (handling, sound, looks, raw feeling, etc), except I felt it was a little lacking in straight line speed/acceleration. I have driven my friends pdk 997 turbo, as well as a 997 TT S and found that paddle shifting with mind boggling acceleration is very addicting. My evoms tuned 996 TT feels faster in a straight line as well (probably due to the high torque). The gt3 is a phenomenal car and a track weapon, but I guess I'm more of a turbo guy!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:06 PM
3RS4.0 is infamous around these parts
Have you considered a GT2? GT-series feel plus turbo acceleration. No rear seats though

Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 PM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 3RS4.0
Have you considered a GT2? GT-series feel plus turbo acceleration. No rear seats though
Will Pilot super sports fit on a 997 gt2? I would need tires more geared to rain, than the cup tires.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:01 AM
3RS4.0 is infamous around these parts
Not sure about the PSS as I haven't tried them (yet).
The following size combination works well with R888's:
F: 235/35ZR19
R: 305/30ZR19
It would be worth double checking if the PSS 305 will fit on the rear rim as per the Toyos. Rumor has it that Michelin will begin making a 325/30/19 rear in the spring.

Last edited by 3RS4.0; 11-07-2011 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 AM
CRGT3 is infamous around these parts
The Pirellis that came on my car have worked great for daily driving. I have a set of dedicated wheels and sport cups for the track. I agree that the sport cups are not the tires for daily use.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:59 PM
LFC911Kop2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by OCTurbo
I was planning on buying a 997 ttS in a few months. However, I'm considering a 2010-11 gt3. This would be my daily driver 7.5k mi/ yr. I would then have to buy a 2nd car, as I would need back seats for my little kids on occasion.
Does anyone use their gt3 as a daily driver? Any problems? How many mi do the pilot sport tires last for street driving?
Am I crazy to also consider a gt3 rs as a DD?
Thanks
I drive my 2011 GT3RS almost daily. No problem at all. The car is meant to be driven. You will truly enjoy your driving!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
If you buy a TTS in a few months you will be day dreaming about owning a GT3. Ask me how i know this......Trust me no comparison. I love the GT3. This a true drivers car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gt3 as daily driver?