Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Gt3 as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 PM
LFC911Kop2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Aerodude
I think the GT3 would be an amazing daily driver. My only reservation would be if your daily drives include stop and go traffic on a regular or semi-regular basis. The heavy clutch would start to become a pain (literally) pretty quickly. Unless, of course, you routinely work out on your left leg at the gym .
I thought I would have trouble driving my RS daily but you get used to the clutch and even in stop and go traffic it's a great drive. The whole driving experience is just amazing. Definitely not a pain. You really do get used to the clutch. Just great fun daily and at the track. It is a very different drive than my 2010 PDK turbo that's for sure but never a problem to drive it daily. It makes having to go to work enjoyable.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by evil panda
i want to change my previous opinion. a family member "stole" the M3 for a month, so i've been DD'ing the GT3 for awhile now. i'm really loving the GT3 drive everyday, i guess i truly don't mind being "forced" to drive a GT3 everyday except that the wife wanted to buy a piece of furniture this weekend and got highly annoyed with my lil' growly beetle
Great to hear you are enjoying it as a daily drive! The GT3 is incredible. I hope you didn't let her put furniture in it!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by LFC911Kop2
I thought I would have trouble driving my RS daily but you get used to the clutch and even in stop and go traffic it's a great drive. The whole driving experience is just amazing. Definitely not a pain. You really do get used to the clutch. Just great fun daily and at the track. It is a very different drive than my 2010 PDK turbo that's for sure but never a problem to drive it daily. It makes having to go to work enjoyable.
That's good to hear. I just might have to try one out for a longer drive, and in stop and go traffic too.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
That's good to hear. I just might have to try one out for a longer drive, and in stop and go traffic too.
You should definitely try a longer drive. I drove from San Diego to Monterey for Rennsport at Laguna Seca and was often in stop and go traffic and it was still a pleasure of a drive. Beautiful scenery along the coast sometimes driving was quick but most of the tme it was stop and go. It never made me wish i hadn't driven the car so far. Sweeping hills and elevation changes on several roads made up for any stop and go traffic i encountered. I can't get enough of this RS it gets in your blood and becomes part of you.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:41 AM
mavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by BMWGator
Here's a pic:

Classic! Is that a roof box on a GT3? A guy who can't get himself to drive a more practical hauler!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Fwiw

Originally Posted by evil panda
i want to change my previous opinion. a family member "stole" the M3 for a month, so i've been DD'ing the GT3 for awhile now. i'm really loving the GT3 drive everyday, i guess i truly don't mind being "forced" to drive a GT3 everyday except that the wife wanted to buy a piece of furniture this weekend and got highly annoyed with my lil' growly beetle
Sometimes we take the GT3 on a 200 mile trip from VA to PA. I put a big fat pillow on my wife's side, and then she's happy.
:-)
Mr. B

Old 12-08-2011, 10:12 AM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
I have been driving my .2 GT3 RS to work this entire week, and love my drive. This car is unbelievable. I drive about 100+miles a day and it's great on the street and on the track. Don't really need anything else:-)

Old 12-09-2011, 11:54 AM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LFC911Kop2
It makes having to go to work enjoyable.

Plus 1~ besides the paycheck driving the gt3 to work is the only reason I go at all

Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
Drove mine today. Ahhhh. Starting to think that maybe DD'ing this car and racking up the miles just might be worth it.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChrisEVO
Drove mine today. Ahhhh. Starting to think that maybe DD'ing this car and racking up the miles just might be worth it.
I agree, and it is, right up untill the moment we go to sell it

that's when you chime in with "you'll love this car so much that you wont be able to keep from making it your daily driver" as you point to the odo reading and say "see, proof of it right there"

Old 12-09-2011, 05:22 PM
playboymd is infamous around these parts
tires

Originally Posted by OCTurbo
I have read that people have replaced the cup tires on the gt3 with pilot super sports. Any problems with the pasm/traction control if this is done?
I have 07-Gt3Rs with the Pilot SS.
had them for almost 8 months , no issues.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 PM
David911 is infamous around these parts
I drove mine 21,000 miles last year. Love it. Would not trade it for anything except a newer model.

It is a sports car, though, so it is somewhat loud. Also, unlike other cars I have owned, I put the car in neutral at a stop light rather than keeping the clutch pressed in - it is not light!

I have replaced the front lip once, the windshield once, and had 3 flats, but other than that it is beautiful.

The stereo is awful, but I have found that to be part of the charm. I did install an aftermarket satellite radio to avoid the commercials though.

Have fun,

David
2008 Speed Yellow GT3

Old 12-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Air Forced is infamous around these parts
I was planning on buying a 997 ttS in a few months. However, I'm considering a 2010-11 gt3. This would be my daily driver 7.5k mi/ yr. I would then have to buy a 2nd car, as I would need back seats for my little kids on occasion.
Does anyone use their gt3 as a daily driver? Any problems? How many mi do the pilot sport tires last for street driving?
Am I crazy to also consider a gt3 rs as a DD?
Thanks
I would love to see a GT3 RS as a DD!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Smoking Rotors is infamous around these parts
I was planning on buying a 997 ttS in a few months. However, I'm considering a 2010-11 gt3. This would be my daily driver 7.5k mi/ yr. I would then have to buy a 2nd car, as I would need back seats for my little kids on occasion.
Does anyone use their gt3 as a daily driver? Any problems? How many mi do the pilot sport tires last for street driving?
Am I crazy to also consider a gt3 rs as a DD?
Thanks
My shop added rear seats. Matched the leather perfectly from another version of P-car... so you have that option, and one fewer objection it that's important. Adds about 30 pounds.

Smaller bodies do well back there. car is a 996 gt3.

The car has lots of soul if you push it. The clutch is not that heavy IMO and I really don't notice it.

When I bought the car, it had a slight leak from the RMS which turned out to be because it hadn't been driven much (700 miles a year) and it fixed itself. Also had the speedo lights go out which turned out to be a bad turn indicator stalk.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:54 AM
BMWGator is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mavila
Classic! Is that a roof box on a GT3? A guy who can't get himself to drive a more practical hauler!
Haha, that's boochook's car...I believe it's a 997 C2S with GT3 wing and stuff. Looks pretty sporty with the Thule box on top...lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gt3 as daily driver?