Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Gt3 as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by David911
It is a sports car, though, so it is somewhat loud. Also, unlike other cars I have owned, I put the car in neutral at a stop light rather than keeping the clutch pressed in - it is not light!
I agree it can be abit loud at times, always draws attention but then again not much can be done about people stairing. The grass is always greener or euh... people are nosey , something like that.

as for the point about the clutch I think it's much better to always get in the habbit of putting the car in nuteral when stopped waiting for a light. I was told by my driving instructor once not to sit there with the car in gear holding the clutch.

The stereo is awful, but I have found that to be part of the charm.
David
2008 Speed Yellow GT3
I found the engine to be much more entertaining to listen to

I have replaced the front lip once, the windshield once, and had 3 flats,
I have also had to replace the front lip once and Ive been driving lowered cars since I was 17. Meh it happends. Some driveway enterances are just rediculas. As for the flats what did you do? Use road assistance or the goop>?

Old 12-10-2011, 08:32 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
yeah, the stereo sucks. I was planning to upgrade using aftermarket components but realized that for that money I could have a sharkwerks exhaust and create an awesome aural experience of a different kind altogether

Old 12-10-2011, 10:13 PM
LFC911Kop2 is infamous around these parts
It is always good to hear these cars are being driven many miles. They are meant to be enjoyed. They really do get better as they get more miles on them. I've come to agree with other GT3/ and RS owners that the front lip is essentially a consumable and will inevitably need to be replaced. It seems replacing the front lip once a year isn't uncommon. The stereo in my RS is very good but I prefer to listen to that beautiful flat six symphony! Just one of the most stunning engine sounds in the world.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:45 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by evil panda
yeah, the stereo sucks. I was planning to upgrade using aftermarket components but realized that for that money I could have a sharkwerks exhaust and create an awesome aural experience of a different kind altogether
Yeah, sound for everyone. Music that everyone can enjoy. Inside an out

Old 12-12-2011, 06:09 AM
CarForHire is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lopro
I agree it can be abit loud at times, always draws attention but then again not much can be done about people stairing. The grass is always greener or euh... people are nosey , something like that.

as for the point about the clutch I think it's much better to always get in the habbit of putting the car in nuteral when stopped waiting for a light. I was told by my driving instructor once not to sit there with the car in gear holding the clutch.
I was told it wears out the throw out bearing.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Smoking Rotors is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lopro
As for the flats what did you do? Use road assistance or the goop>?

I carry a tire plug kit ($10) and an 12 volt air pump. 99% of the time it's a nail and it takes about 5 minutes to fix.

Then, when I have time, I get the tire patched.

I stay away from goop because it creates wheel balance issues and can make a mess.

You shouldn't run a repaired tire on the track IMO.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by evil panda
+1 And who actually bought their GT3 for the stereo in the dashboard in the first place?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:59 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mavila
Classic! Is that a roof box on a GT3? A guy who can't get himself to drive a more practical hauler!
I have one of those too. I call it my mother-in-law suite. She doesn't stay over very often...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:14 PM
who needs a sterio, just adds weight

Last edited by lopro; 12-12-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Like the beverly hillbillies but without the rocking chair

Originally Posted by DLJ
I have one of those too. I call it my mother-in-law suite. She doesn't stay over very often...
stay over what? the car? As in, In the hauler

I dont know why but when you said that it made me think of the sinfield episode where kramer had the people staying in the dresser drawers. lol

I dont know why

Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM
MistaVanquish is infamous around these parts
I've always had a second car for daily driving, so I would never consider driving my sports car/toy on a daily basis, even if the car was really comfy.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 PM
earlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud of
all the guys saying "do it" are more hardcore car nuts than me. It's loud and uncomfortable with few creature comforts, a stiff clutch and won't get over a speedbump without a forklift. I get tired of my GT3 around town after 20 minutes (so I have to take it out to stretch it's legs). I must be getting old, but the GT3 sucks as a daily driver. It's a barely street legal track car. Drive one around for a while when you aren't all fired up thinking about backroads and the track.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MistaVanquish
... so I would never consider driving my sports car/toy on a daily basis, even if the car was really comfy.
Why? Trying to save money? If really comfy and fun to drive, why not enjoy every day? I have sedan / sports car but usually drive the latter because it's more fun. But there are times I'm not in the mood for it and then I drive the sedan. Any 911 makes a great DD IMO and is one of the things that separates it from other high-end sports cars.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 PM
pfan12000 is infamous around these partspfan12000 is infamous around these parts
A GT3 is for dedicated track driving only. Its' purpose as a street car is only so you don't have to trailer it to the track. People who drive it on the street will only be able to experience and explore 65/194 of its capabilities before breaking the law and risking a ticket or getting into an accident driving at higher speeds among other cars going at lower speeds. The idea of using a GT3 for a DD is only if you cannot afford to get a second car after buying a GT3. Just my opinion.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by pfan12000
A GT3 is for dedicated track driving only.
Respectfully, I could not disagree more.

The polarity in views emphasizes that anybody considering a GT3 (or any other car for that matter) should take a good long test drive and be honest with his or herself about its suitability as a daily driver.

You do not need to drive a car at 10/10ths on the street to enjoy it. I don’t know why people keep preaching you should not be driving at 10/10ths on the street (explicit or implied). I’ve had Turbos and they’re appliances for speed that only start to get exciting an extreme speeds. On the other hand, the intoxicating sound and responsiveness of a GT3 is great to experience at ANY speed. Hence, IMO, I will argue that the GT3 is a better DD than a Turbo. For me, the GT3 is **by far** the most fun car to drive of any car I have ever owned (M5s, M3s, RS4, E55, C4, & Turbos) -- on the street or on the track. It is my DD, even though I have the option to drive a 550 or Rover every day.

In my view, if you’re going to have a dedicated track car, go get yourself a racecar. You’ll be safer and will learn more by not needing to worry about bending your pretty street car (rent, borrow, or buy an open car trailer if you do not have one). GT3 / GT3RS are street cars first and foremost. Sales guy will try to convince you it’s a racecar for the street, just like the Acura salesman trying to sell clients on the idea of an MDX being a sports car.

Again, if you’re a person trying to figure out if the GT3 is a good DD, STOP reading this thread and listening to other people, and go drive one for yourself!! That’s the only way to know if it’s right for you or not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gt3 as daily driver?