Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Gt3 as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:27 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I "had" a well documented 650BHP 996TT that had all the proper suspension/brake/motor/software mods including a full PROPER GT2 front end conversion. Drove it for almost five years and averaged about 5K miles per year.

Since picking up a "raw" 996GT3 on May 28th of this year, I've already put over 6K miles on it. I commute in it in WASHINGTON DC stop and go rush hour traffic. Just last weekend the wife and I did 900 miles in three days heading down to Blowing Rock, NC from our home in Spotsylvania Va.

I don't miss the turbo power or feel. I also don't miss the numbing feel of the front drive system or the added weight of the car. For years while owning the TT I said I would buy a GT3 if I had it to do all over... Well I have. I can only imagine how much better a newer GT3 would be as a daily Driver. By the way other than the Dasport rollbar and the 997SSk, my car is bone stock.

It's the perfect all arounder.
Mike

Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 AM
pfan12000 is infamous around these partspfan12000 is infamous around these parts
Roland,
you're entitled to your disagreeing with my reply and no disrespect was intended and none taken. Your idea of a choice for dedicated track car is a full blown racecar plus trailer. However, my point is that the GT3 is the alternative option of being a car that is really all one needs to drive on the track without being needed to be towed on a trailer and yet will be able to perform competitively in any track events (whether DE or actual racing with little more than addition of safety equipment, appropriate tires, and alignment). So I'm saying a GT3 is usable as a DD but I personally wouldn't given the temptations of operating it on the streets where one would be constantly frustrated by the need to reign it in due to the dangers of street conditions that we all must navigate during street operation of our DD (i.e., cell phone distracted drivers, young and old, etc.).

Old 08-18-2012, 10:22 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
No worries pfan12000. I was just responding to your comment "A GT3 is for dedicated track driving only", which I don't agree with. (Just my opinion.)

I definitely do AGREE w/ you on the merits of GT3 an an alternative option to having a dedicated track car. It's a total PIA to have to tow your track car or racecar to the track just to get some seat time (I've had both, and now I have none for that reason.) GT3 let's me arrive in style, have fun, and leave in style. Downside is I don't drive as hard (hence improve less) and I won't go to a distance event anyway w/o trailering in the event car sustains damage and needs a lift home.

I don't find the GT3 frustrating to drive in traffic. Rather, quite the opposite. I don't need to reign anything in because I can let lose at the track. I'm very happy to drive down the road at 35MPH in it and just listen to the best engine note short of a Ferrari or feel the road transmit to my hands. Dealing with other distracted drivers is something I need to deal with independent of car selection. For me, driving the GT3 is an event every time I get into it and something I choose to experience every day rather than let it depreciate away sitting in a garage.

For others that might still be reading, I'd say the biggest minus to GT3 as a DD (for me anyway) is the deep buckets if we're talking about an RS. Ingress / egress definitely takes more effort than your average sports car (but I wouldn't call it hard) . Admittedly, there have been times I didn't stop at a store on the way home, etc., just because I was in too lazy a mood to get out and back in again. But on the plus side, they sure do feel good once you're sunk into them (like a baby in a mother's arms).

All said and done, GT3 and GT3RS have been my favorite road cars of any others I have owned by a very large margin.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:34 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Smile

I have had a 09 c4s pdk for 2 yrs now(bought CPO) and have enjoyed tracking it for 2 seasons now here in the pacific NW. I have enjoyed this so much I wanted a track car because I have gotten the bug. PSDS in April this year too. Just got a 07 GT3 recently and have been daily driving it to get used to it prior to track days coming up 8/26, 9/8,9/29 at ridge and pacific raceways. Hired all day coaches to get tutoring on this beast. Meanwhile the car is a joy and thrilling to drive ; so responsive and precise. The 4S is much heavier by comparison but still fun to drive sport plus on the track .
With the GT3 stop and go city and freeway traffic in Seattle area not so much fun though. I avoid certain streets in hilly Seattle too. But we are used to that as my wife has an 05 manual Boxster. No hill assist.
Both cars are great to drive when you can stretch their legs on the track.
I will see how much I use the 4S this winter when the temps are below 40 and I put the winter wheels on. Wife says I can keep both. I am a lucky man for sure.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 PM
pfan12000 is infamous around these partspfan12000 is infamous around these parts
I bought my 2010 GT3 for the express purpose of doing DE with the PCA. The car came with the Pirelli Corsas and PCCB's. I got 11,000 miles (about 3-4,000 are on the track miles, the rest are driving back and forth from the tracks 7-8000 miles on street). Used up 2 sets of brake pads. The tires were just down to the wearbars and I decided to go with Michelin SuperSports because their wear rating is 3 times that of the Pirelli's. I prefer the Pirellis because they have better performance and are actually lighter in weight than the SuperSports. Their only negative is price (about $1200 more a set). A friend of mine had the RS riding on PSC. He made the mistake of driving the car in the rain and spun out on standing puddle was like ice and had a costly accident. So if you decide to use the GT3/RS as a DD then you need to get some MSS tires for when it rains.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pfan12000
I bought my 2010 GT3 for the express purpose of doing DE with the PCA. The car came with the Pirelli Corsas and PCCB's. I got 11,000 miles (about 3-4,000 are on the track miles, the rest are driving back and forth from the tracks 7-8000 miles on street). Used up 2 sets of brake pads. The tires were just down to the wearbars and I decided to go with Michelin SuperSports because their wear rating is 3 times that of the Pirelli's. I prefer the Pirellis because they have better performance and are actually lighter in weight than the SuperSports. Their only negative is price (about $1200 more a set). A friend of mine had the RS riding on PSC. He made the mistake of driving the car in the rain and spun out on standing puddle was like ice and had a costly accident. So if you decide to use the GT3/RS as a DD then you need to get some MSS tires for when it rains.
The Pilot Super Sports are fine in the rain.
Mr. B

Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
I live in Seattle and have been fine w/ MPSCs on car as DD. Just need to be heads-up about standing water and avoid it.