Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Gt3 as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:33 AM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
Gt3 as daily driver?

I was planning on buying a 997 ttS in a few months. However, I'm considering a 2010-11 gt3. This would be my daily driver 7.5k mi/ yr. I would then have to buy a 2nd car, as I would need back seats for my little kids on occasion.
Does anyone use their gt3 as a daily driver? Any problems? How many mi do the pilot sport tires last for street driving?
Am I crazy to also consider a gt3 rs as a DD?
Thanks

Old 10-29-2011, 09:47 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Do it! 7.5K miles a year is really not a lot. If heat cycles and track days are not involved, the cups will likely last you at least the full year. Roads in OC are relatively pristine. My turbo is setup pretty stiff, but I could DD if I had to (but I won't).

I saw a white 10-11 GT3 the other day in Irvine. Man, that's one sexy car

The TTS would certainly be a more practical DD, but meh. GT over the new turbo's anyday.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:04 AM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
Having considered it myself I would say yes with a couple of caveats:

1. find a car with the nose lift; this is the one option i wish i held out for
2. If your commute is light to no traffic, I would do it in a second. If you have a long, bumper to bumper commute - it will get tiring fast.

I have an hour each way commute in LA bumper to bumper traffic so I only drive mine to work once in a while. When I do it's very early. If I had the same commute in light to no traffic, I'd have 30k miles piled on within a year or two

Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 AM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Octurbo,
Do it! If you research this forum there is enough information to help you with your decision. Approx. 8000 miles per year is not much. The Gt3 is not for everyone, but in my opinion it's the most exciting of them all. If you are looking for the a car that is closest to a true race car, look no further. Well, I take that back....you might want to look at the GT3rs.
Drive the turbo and then drive the GT3 and you will know which one will make you smile everyday. Been there:-)

Old 10-29-2011, 10:32 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I can't think of a more fun 911 to drive everywhere and everyday. The front nose is a bit low but other than that? Go for it!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 AM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
I have read that people have replaced the cup tires on the gt3 with pilot super sports. Any problems with the pasm/traction control if this is done?

Old 10-29-2011, 11:18 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sanchezdds
Octurbo,
Do it! If you research this forum there is enough information to help you with your decision. Approx. 8000 miles per year is not much. The Gt3 is not for everyone, but in my opinion it's the most exciting of them all. If you are looking for the a car that is closest to a true race car, look no further. Well, I take that back....you might want to look at the GT3rs.
Drive the turbo and then drive the GT3 and you will know which one will make you smile everyday. Been there:-)
These guys are right. I considered a TTS, 3RS or slightly used GT2. I drove the TTS and 3RS back to back and quickly ruled out the TTS due to its lack of excitement in comparison. The TTS is one bad *** car but compared to the GT models it just feels more luxury and less sporty. I ended up getting the 2 which I felt was a great compromise. I do not use it as DD to work but I do drive all over town running errands and such. Its comfortable enough but really I do not think about comfort, instead just having a great drive. The 3RS is the only thing you should consider (with the front lift). There is a local guy who DD his 3RS, it hang my head out the window and drool every time he goes buy.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:09 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
I say do it! Had a .1 turbo. Now have a .2 gt3 and love it! I will likely never go back to a non-GT Porsche again. Like someone said, drive them and see what you like.

FTR, your driving environment will dictate whether you need a lift or not. I live upstate NY and have never needed the lift. I am also glad I didn't pay for one. You only need one for very extreme entry/exit angles and/or speed bumps, tight parking garages, etc.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:32 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
I dd'ed mine for a few months before buying an m3. I have to be honest - I love the gt3 so much that I would dd it if it was my only car, but now that I have a DCT m3 there are days that I feel more like driving the car that takes less effort

Old 10-30-2011, 03:39 PM
maroli is infamous around these partsmaroli is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by evil panda
I dd'ed mine for a few months before buying an m3. I have to be honest - I love the gt3 so much that I would dd it if it was my only car, but now that I have a DCT m3 there are days that I feel more like driving the car that takes less effort
it all comes down to a convenience vs involvement trade-off.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:52 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by maroli
it all comes down to a convenience vs involvement trade-off.
Agree!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Davidham is infamous around these parts
It's an awesome car that always makes you smile. But it is tiring to drive in traffic. The clutch is stiff, and will wear you out in long stop and go commutes. The nose lift would be great! Without it, you have to crab over every bump. But you won't care about any of that when you are at the track!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 PM
chiffonade is infamous around these parts
If you have to deal with daily traffic, no. Otherwise, yes yes yes.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Mine

Originally Posted by OCTurbo
I have read that people have replaced the cup tires on the gt3 with pilot super sports. Any problems with the pasm/traction control if this is done?
My GT3 came with Pirelli P-Zero Corsa's and when I corded the rears at the track I switched to the new Pilot Super Sports and they are great, even on the track. No problems with PASM or traction control.

Mr. B

Old 10-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Qs997Turbo is infamous around these parts
My GT3 RS is my daily driver and I love it! The car is so responsive and fun to drive. I would just plan on replacing the front lip and tires once or twice a year :-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gt3 as daily driver?