Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Hot pressure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 PM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
If your tracking at Willow Springs which I bet you are from what I see on the wear pattern, you'll need a lot more camber or you will continue to have this wear pattern. You'll need at least neg 3 degrees front and 2.5 rear for WSIR.

The MPSS are not a track tire and the tires are chunking due to heat. Your getting the heat due to the street alignment running on the track. My guess is that your outside temps are over 200 deg F and the inside 160 degs. Tire pressure changes will not cure this problem. Time for a set of track tires and wheels and a track alignment.

Jimmy

Old 11-12-2011, 06:29 PM
liurad is infamous around these partsliurad is infamous around these parts
Jimmy, (Sherlock Holmes)

You are right on. The tires saw two days at WSIR which did the most damage. I do have two sets of rims, so that I don't have to have someone novice touching the CL nuts, risking improper installation or damaging the $$eramic rotors. Wify won't allow car hauler, so, need to drive to tracks most of the time or rent U-haul (did that twice). Reasonable (price wise), well performing street tires for now until I can convince my wife for a trailer. Last wkend coming back from Street of Willow, it was snowing for awhile! The front tires are not as bad as the rear, so, hopefully, the 2.5 (from 2.1) will do the trick. Oh, btw, I turned the traction and stability off for three sessions during last two my 5 track days with these tires, and did some drifting and power-sliding at CAS in Fontana and SOW. That most likely contributed to the higher tire temp and chunking (from reading the treads).

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Thx

Originally Posted by liurad
My driver rear alignment was a bit off at -1.7 as supposed initial -1.9. That would make sense that that particular tire took the most beating and developed chucks to the cord. Will reset to -2.5 all around and aim hot pressure at 40's in the future.
Not at all surprised at the alignment issue.
THX for letting us know.
Mr. B

Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I'm running them this weekend at NOLA. Pretty impressive so far. It's not a great street tire (a little noisy) and it's not a competitive track tire, but is perfect for the guy that wants to drive to the track and run.

I'm running a fairly progressive track alignment (-3f, -2.5r) and maintained hot pressures of 39/40 (f/r). The car seems to really like it. Even temps across the tread on my pyrometer and I'm within a couple seconds of a friend in a .2rs on RA1's.

So far, two thumbs up. With that being said, I'm switching to hoosiers this morning because I hate being slower

Old 03-04-2012, 06:34 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Good info in this thread. Last year I got about 10 track days in the intermediate groups running SS's (18's) on my carrera and corded the outside of the rears.

I ran 34f/36r hot. I am going to go to a more agressive alignment this year.

Should I aim for slightly higher pressures?

Thanks

Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'm running them this weekend at NOLA. Pretty impressive so far. It's not a great street tire (a little noisy) and it's not a competitive track tire, but is perfect for the guy that wants to drive to the track and run.

I'm running a fairly progressive track alignment (-3f, -2.5r) and maintained hot pressures of 39/40 (f/r). The car seems to really like it. Even temps across the tread on my pyrometer and I'm within a couple seconds of a friend in a .2rs on RA1's.

So far, two thumbs up. With that being said, I'm switching to hoosiers this morning because I hate being slower
You running Super Sports or Sport Cups?????

Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Good info in this thread. Last year I got about 10 track days in the intermediate groups running SS's (18's) on my carrera and corded the outside of the rears.

I ran 34f/36r hot. I am going to go to a more agressive alignment this year.

Should I aim for slightly higher pressures?

Thanks
Sounds like you're alignment is way off. Ive never seen someone cord the outside with a track alignment.

Originally Posted by mdrums
You running Super Sports or Sport Cups?????
Super "Sports". At the end of the weekend I still managed to stay within 2 seconds of Randy and Peter in their .2 RS's on RA1's.

This super sport is a very neat tire. I'm shocked at the performance you can get out of them with such a deep tread block.

I continued taking pyrometer readings all weekend and they remained consistent with more or less even temp spreads across the tread.

I did notice the temps over shot my goal temp of 39/40 when I stepped up my pace and had to bleed down again, despite the 47 degree temps Sunday morning.

So far, two thumbs up on the SS's. It's not a competitive tire, but if you are looking for 80% of the performance of an R comp with longer life and the ability to drive to and from, this may be the ticket. I haven't driven in the rain on them yet, but I have to assume with the deep treadblock and grooving, they would be very good.

The only negative I can say is that they are positional, and not directional. Which means that you can't flip the rears for longer wear. From what I heard they have a different compound across the tread block. So when they are done, they are done. With that being said, I'm guessing like any other positional tire, you can probably just replace 2 sets of rear, maybe three, to one set of fronts.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:23 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like you're alignment is way off. Ive never seen someone cord the outside with a track alignment.

Super "Sports". At the end of the weekend I still managed to stay within 2 seconds of Randy and Peter in their .2 RS's on RA1's.

This super sport is a very neat tire. I'm shocked at the performance you can get out of them with such a deep tread block.

I continued taking pyrometer readings all weekend and they remained consistent with more or less even temp spreads across the tread.

I did notice the temps over shot my goal temp of 39/40 when I stepped up my pace and had to bleed down again, despite the 47 degree temps Sunday morning.

So far, two thumbs up on the SS's. It's not a competitive tire, but if you are looking for 80% of the performance of an R comp with longer life and the ability to drive to and from, this may be the ticket. I haven't driven in the rain on them yet, but I have to assume with the deep treadblock and grooving, they would be very good.

The only negative I can say is that they are positional, and not directional. Which means that you can't flip the rears for longer wear. From what I heard they have a different compound across the tread block. So when they are done, they are done. With that being said, I'm guessing like any other positional tire, you can probably just replace 2 sets of rear, maybe three, to one set of fronts.
Dawg,

Don't worry they are awesome wet tires. Spent a day at CMP in the wet and car hooked up with no push.

ps: If you can run within 2 secs of Randy I would say they are very good tires. Looking forward to driving on them @ Sebring in March with Chin

Peter

Last edited by XPGT2; 03-05-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: add content
Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
thanks dog95....

I am having an alignment done once I can get my hands on some SS's. They are backordered at this time.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
thanks dog95....

I am having an alignment done once I can get my hands on some SS's. They are backordered at this time.
Tireack has them in stock, at least in 19" GT3 sizes if you need some.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM
bullitt44 is infamous around these partsbullitt44 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by liurad
36/38 hot were my targets during my 5 track days, and this is what happened. I am attaching a pic. I am at a loss.
I would guess alignment issues. I have no idea of your driving skill so I mean this with no offense, might you be over driving the corners in a rough part of the track? This is easy to do, try an alignment and try a smoother style that might result in a faster lap time and happy equipment. Tires chunking usully means they are hot as heck, not always reflected by pressures (nitrogen can mask this a bit). I recommend taking your tires temps with a meter after each session.

Couple questions:
Are your tires filled with nitrogen?
Any throttle on oversteer?
Did you take brand new tires right to the track on a hot day? (seasoning sometimes will add to longevity)
Have a tire warrantee? (I would call this one in)

Last edited by bullitt44; 03-07-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Tireack has them in stock, at least in 19" GT3 sizes if you need some.
thanks Dog...still backordered in my size...(265/40/18)

Old 05-22-2012, 06:26 PM
liurad is infamous around these partsliurad is infamous around these parts
Follow up on another set of supersport with new alignment

New alignment -2.5 camber, and higher hot pressure in the low to mid 40's with a brand new set of tires. After 4 track days, the outer is gone again in the rear. The prev rear had similar issue detailed in my prev post. The front pairs lasted about 9 track days before the outer was worn and chucked.

I do drive aggressively at the tires adhesion limits and sometimes sliding at the corners for the fun of it. The inner and the mid sections of the tires are still at least 40-50% left. Tires filled with normal air.

My guess is that the walls of the supersports are weak and they tend to roll on the track at adhesion limits. Another possibility is that Michelin claims that the outer section is made of stickier materials to help cornering ability, thus making it wearing out faster. Supersport is great on the streets. On the track with aggressive driving, they won't last longer than other stickier tires.

Let me know if you have similar experience. For now, I am done with them. Looking at RS-3 or RE-11 for my next set.