Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Sequential Shifter - with Clutch.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Big Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura about
Hmmm...the up and down shifts are quciker. I'm not sure if you have a traqmate system or not; if you do you know that the short black marks on a straight are shift points. When I compared my old traqmate data which had a stock shifter you can see the he shifts time were about half as long then stock. But perhaps the most important thing is preventing the dreaded 5th-2nd which happened to someone I know in Daytona. Also sometimes I find myself missing 3rd gear from 2nd when I try to slam it in fast; again a non-issue with this system. Lastly, and least important it looks awesome.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
That's awesome. Thanks for the description of your new shifter experience. When you get a chance shoot a pic of the interior/shifter.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Big Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura about
Pictures

Name:  Fort Lauderdale-20111213-00177.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3401.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  185.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3407.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  167.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3408.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  191.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3442.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  222.3 KB

Originally Posted by sanchezdds
that's awesome. Thanks for the description of your new shifter experience. When you get a chance shoot a pic of the interior/shifter.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:04 PM
JTquint is infamous around these parts
I was at the 2 hr endurance late on SUN..., did you run on Saturday?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:07 PM
I was only there on sunday but a friend of mine in a blue white 996 cup and a 360 challenge were there.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
Enjoy the shifter, they are great for the track.

-Troy

Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Glock Guru
Enjoy the shifter, they are great for the track.

-Troy

BIGAL between you and GLOCKGURU's threads I am 100% sold. I want this bad. Nice shifter, Such a effective track tool. Thanks for your informative posts

****FORBRAINS that link was worth a read, thanks for posting that!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lopro
BIGAL between you and GLOCKGURU's threads I am 100% sold. I want this bad. Nice shifter, Such a effective track tool. Thanks for your informative posts

****FORBRAINS that link was worth a read, thanks for posting that!

Again great for the track, not so much for the street IMO. Little more ware on synchros, dog rings, sliders and the like, but that's the trade off for performance.

The hardware is not 100% fool proof, but as posted, is is worth some time on the track as well as saving you from a big $$$ mechanical over rev. The over rev safety alone may be worth every dollar on its own.

For the record RSS performed my install.

-Troy

Old 12-23-2011, 12:24 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GTgears
I just want to mention that the increased wear on the synchros and the dog teeth with this modification is very real. We've had several customers need to rebuild their gearbox in less than 2 years of installing this shifter. Performance has a price and you always need to be willing to pay to play...

No, no catastrophic failure. Generally what happens initially is they have shifting problems late in a session at the track when the gearbox has gotten really hot. As the wear gets worse then it starts to have shifting problems more frequently and under less stressed conditions. The key is to just be aware of it and service it before something binds badly and causing something catastrophic.

And it's very important IMO to NOT cut corners. B-grade rebuilders will offer to refresh your gearbox with nothing more than synchros. This is to be avoided, especially if you are using this shifter. You'll want to do the full monty and replace the syncrhos, the engagement dog teeth and the slider/hub assembly. Those three components all interact with each other and if one is worn out then the other two are also likely showing wear. Give me a few minutes and I'll post an example of a gear I currently have in from a customer for dog teeth replacement...
OK,
Here's a 3rd gear with a worn out dog teeth. You often see discussions about dog teeth being worn out when the tips of the dogs get bashed. But if you look at this gear, that hasn't been the case. The driver of this car has taken good care of his shifting and not had many instances of grinding.

But where it is showing all the wear is up on the cone area right where the synchro rides. If you took this gear and just installed a new synchro and put it back in, it would be out of spec. It wouldn't have enough friction because of the existing wear to that area.
Here's a brand new gear for comparison:

Usually most of the wear occurs on 3rd and 4th, and you can sometimes get away with just synchros out in 5th and 6th. However, the real money gear is 2nd. Here's a new 2nd:

See how much smaller those engagement teeth are? 2nd uses a 3 piece synchro assembly with a floating detached cone ring. If you miss more than one or two 2nd gear shifts, those tender little teeth get dinged and then you have the 2nd gear pop out that you hear about.

And to add insult to injury, those teeth are not replaceable. They are EB welded onto the gear and replacement compromises the gear. And Porsche won't sell you just an idler gear. The opposing gear is attached to your mainshaft, which means 2nd gear repairs require a new mainshaft, first and 2nd all at the same time. Big $$$

Here's why we won't repair 2nd gears. We used to send them out to a very well known repair facility. And then this started happening to the gears they had fixed:

I in no way blame the facility. I blame the process. What we believe has happened is the EB welding to install the new dog ring has compromised the heat treat on the gear. If you look carefully it tears cleanly where the welds are. It tears rough between the welds. This is because of the damage the welding did to the gear itself. It costs the customer more to completely replace, but when something like this comes apart in the gearbox it's definitely in the class of what we call catastrophic. We consider more money up front better insurance for you than to have to go back and rebuild your gearbox a second time when this happens.

i read that in the link above. Post number 27,33 & 34 by GTgears ~ Great post he really knows his gears

Old 12-23-2011, 01:02 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Latest of mine in my 996 GT2:

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Lopro - These are all true statements to some extent. I do know several people with the shifter for 2+ with no issues. As i mentioned above I know where there is a used one. Save cash for tires.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:49 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Big Al
Lopro - These are all true statements to some extent. I do know several people with the shifter for 2+ with no issues. As i mentioned above I know where there is a used one. Save cash for tires.
There you go, Lopro!

Old 12-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by shtfrbrains
Latest of mine in my 996 GT2:
looks perfectly fitting. Amazing. i bet it rides great with this seq setup. They should have made the car with it. thanks for posting that pic.

Originally Posted by Big Al
I guess performace has its downsides. I imagine all gearboxes need some refreshing after track use, maybe this leads to shorter intervals in between maintenance on syncros. i guess you have to pay to play.

Originally Posted by shtfrbrains
There you go, Lopro!
yes, Pm sent. thanks so much. I really am excited to get one of these. It is how porsche should have made the car from factory. an accidental shift from 5th to 3rd would be a nightmare, To have this shifter is pure insurance.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:05 AM
You are going to love it. It's such a well engineered, well made piece of equipment. I am certain if it were not so expensive, 10X more Porsche owners would have it.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Its a freakn dream!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sequential Shifter - with Clutch.