Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 with High miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:53 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
keep an eyes on the water pump fittings and hoses. seems to be a issue with porsche watercooled in this area. They are glued in when they should have been welded in the water pump. They are failing sometimes... I cant find the link to the thread now, just something to read about so your awair of the issue. If I find it tomorrow Ill try to post it up if someone else doesnt already beat me to it. edot here, not sure if this applys as im just reading and learning myself https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3382905

ive heard of IMS and RMS issues also but I think this is more directed towards the earler cars 05,06 and so on. Others will help out bit more im sure but I just wanted to help. I wish you well. Again, provided that car checks out ok an had been treated well in the past It will give you a lot of enjoyment. Good luck bud maybe take it into the dealer for a check over just to be safe

Last edited by lopro; 11-26-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: found link to thread
Old 11-29-2011, 05:27 PM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
This may help.

997.1 GT3 Buying Guide

I would also ask for the following to be checked and confirmed when having a reputable indy or dealership check out the car. Make sure it's clear that you expect a full report on each item.

- DME (DME Results Interpretation)
- Paint Meter all panels (confirms no paint work)
- Brakes (pad wear, expected rotor life)
- RMS (leaking, oil residue)
- Wheel condition (bent, lots of wheel balance weights?)
- Tire condition (wear depth)
- Clutch travel / engagement point (high = worn out)

Note: IMS is not listed since it is not an issue on the GT3 engines just the Carrera & Carrera S (specifically 05).

Originally Posted by Porsche Tech
When we perform a PPI, it includes a compression test (leakdown if we should find a low number on one or more cyls and/or greater than 10% differential between highest and lowest cyls), all-control units scan and over-rev check, notation of faults if any. Paint meter of all metalic body panels and visual inspection for paint work, overspray, abnormal orange peel etc. Visual inspection for oil leakages, coolant leakages (if applicable), coolant pressure test, ck condition of brake fluid, inspect suspension for wear, play, ck tire condition and notate, ck brake pad wear and notate. ck lighting, steering gear, actuate all components for operation, road test. Inspect service history.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
spoddle...what a terrific and informative post. Reps to you!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:47 AM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
spoddle...what a terrific and informative post. Reps to you!
I also added to his rep points. very very informative post a++

Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM
mach1pannu is infamous around these parts
It is an ok deal. I would think it would be a better deal around $60k. About 6 months ago I spotted a 997.1 GT3 with 29k miles at a dealer in CA. It had been sitting on their lot for a couple of months and after going back and forth, I was able to negotiate them down to $65k with a CPO warranty. Had I not been stupid, the car would be sitting in my garage. I decided to buy a Noble instead.