Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Parking GT3/GT3 RS in Public?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:54 PM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by utkinpol
i drove my base 997 from boston to manhattan once, it was parked in the underground garage in marriott at times square. i got to tell you - driving in NYC was nightmare, i will never do it again. my front bumper is stock and it sits high, as i ws going around to friends in brooklin, then back to hotel i scraped my car several times, overall i think it is just a bad idea, and i have no clue how gt3 low sitting bumper will let you to get around the city at all.
new 991 car is said to have less issues with long sticking nose - may be it will be easier, but 997 is horrible in the city if you have to get in and out of garages, you just hit every ramp and every speedbump.

all aboe is on top of an obvious fact that you must be ready to get scratches, bumps and hits on exterior from both cars and crazy punks who will jump on your car when you are not around. only way to enjoy expensive car in the city is to leave it in the monitored heated garage with gated access, not open to general public. if you plan to leave car on a street in any big city - do it at your own risk, especially in NYC.
Hmm. I'm not worried about scraping as much as I'm worried about parking.

My RSX-S was lowered and I had an aftermarket front bumper which stuck out far. At first I would scrape everywhere! After driving it for years, I learned to be very cautious and I always avoid bottoming out or scraping.
I've lived in the city ever since I was born. I learned to drive in the city with all taxis and horrible drivers. Driving in the city has now become fun

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
I'm just responding to your possible move to Florida. Having seen most of the areas you have talked about in the thread you MAY want to check out Naples is you want more south Florida and close to the coast. It is on the west coast but the economy hasn't hit Naples anywhere near the extent of West Palm, Miami, ect.

Just my .02
I will definitely check it out. After I get my Masters then I will start researching.
I'm looking for a place that is like Manhattan in terms of what is around- restaurants, malls (there are so many malls and outlet within 45 mins away at least 6 big ones!), clubs/lounges, concert halls, gyms (at least 5 New York Sport Clubs within 15min), etc. I like options.
For example, someone was telling me how the closest Apple Store is 45 mins away! There are about 6 within 30mins of here. I was in need of a new phone and was able to obtain an iPhone 4S the day of the release with no problem.

My problem with Manhattan is the cold weather, lack of parking, lack of scenic/relaxing drives, lack of a close race track, and other outdoor activities close by.

I want to live in a gated community where the neighborhood has nice roads but still close to a big city.
I want to be able to go into my garage and go for a joy ride whenever I feel like it as long as I don't live in the middle of no where.

I will have to make a whole new thread in the FL section when the time gets closer.
I might even consider a place in southern California.

Last edited by MrNurse; 12-01-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:16 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
my god, The thing thats so bad about that video is that kid has no idea what it takes to afford a car like that. He (judging by his moral) will never have the ***** to apply himself enough to make that kinda of money. He will cry all his life why he never had anything that nice and resort to damaging others nice things because he is trash.

If I saw that happen I would beat that kid so bad he wouldnt know what happend to him the next day. seriously Id put that kid in the hospital if I saw that kinda behaviour. He would learn a lesson that night, we would sit there and wait for the owner if it took hours so I could explain to the owner of that car what he did once I was done with him

sorry that was frusterating to say the least. I worked so hard for my car that Id flip

Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 PM
LFC911Kop2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 997gt3LA
Actually I would never give my car to valet those people just don't know how to drive a bicycle let alone my gt3!! You should be fine with smart public Parking. But I live In LA much easier than NY city.
I agree. I refuse to let a young kid park my RS or my turbo. At hotels I request to park it and I go ahead and tip them anyway. Parking the RS in public can also be a bit tricky. While we appreciate our cars there defiinitely can be jealousy from others. I was at a Mercedes restoration clinic in Newport Beach and there was a 2011 SLR that had been keyed all over the car. Quite sickening.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by LFC911Kop2
I agree. I refuse to let a young kid park my RS or my turbo. At hotels I request to park it and I go ahead and tip them anyway. Parking the RS in public can also be a bit tricky. While we appreciate our cars there defiinitely can be jealousy from others. I was at a Mercedes restoration clinic in Newport Beach and there was a 2011 SLR that had been keyed all over the car. Quite sickening.

what is wrong with people?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:39 AM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Nycflip22
I'm looking for a place that is like Manhattan in terms of what is around- restaurants, malls (there are so many malls and outlet within 45 mins away at least 6 big ones!), clubs/lounges, concert halls, gyms (at least 5 New York Sport Clubs within 15min), etc. I like options.
For example, someone was telling me how the closest Apple Store is 45 mins away! There are about 6 within 30mins of here. I was in need of a new phone and was able to obtain an iPhone 4S the day of the release with no problem.

My problem with Manhattan is the cold weather, lack of parking, lack of scenic/relaxing drives, lack of a close race track, and other outdoor activities close by.

I want to live in a gated community where the neighborhood has nice roads but still close to a big city.
I want to be able to go into my garage and go for a joy ride whenever I feel like it as long as I don't live in the middle of no where.

I will have to make a whole new thread in the FL section when the time gets closer.
I might even consider a place in southern California.
Sounds like the Miami area is the place for you.
plenty of nightlife and things to do, and even in the 430 you will not stick out

Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by AlexN
Sounds like the Miami area is the place for you.
plenty of nightlife and things to do, and even in the 430 you will not stick out
Yes, I figured Miami would be great for nightlife and restaurants, but is that area and the surrounding areas dense enough where there would be more than one of each store (i.e. Best Buy, Apple Store, gyms) and malls/outlets?

I'm used to going to another store location if "x" is sold at "x" location.

Speaking of not sticking out, that is what I'm looking for. I'd like to live in an affluent area where people are more desensitized to supercars, i.e. LA, Miami, the Hamptons, Dubai! I want my supercar to somewhat blend in. I'd feel much safer that way.
In Manhattan, you'll blend in if you drive a Maybach, Continental GT, or Rolls Royce (granted those type of cars aren't as flashy as sporty/exotic sports cars).
I just want to be able to join my car whenever I want.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 AM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
Parking any car in NYC with the Porsche crest on the hood is going to get attention, but it also goes with where you're actually parking. Amongst the masses, a GT3 is going to stand out like a sore thumb. The way I'm tuned I'd pick out the profile of a GT3 before a ferrari or lamborghini even if parked together, but that's what you do when you're a porschephile I personally would never park a car anywhere unsafe that I couldn't afford to have proper insurance coverage on in the event that it disappeared.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by RennFab
Parking any car in NYC with the Porsche crest on the hood is going to get attention, but it also goes with where you're actually parking. Amongst the masses, a GT3 is going to stand out like a sore thumb. The way I'm tuned I'd pick out the profile of a GT3 before a ferrari or lamborghini even if parked together, but that's what you do when you're a porschephile I personally would never park a car anywhere unsafe that I couldn't afford to have proper insurance coverage on in the event that it disappeared.
Surprisingly, I don't get as much attention as I expected with my Porsche, maybe it's the stealthy black exterior?
I park it in most (relatively safe) places without worries/problems so far *knock on wood*
As much as I love Porsche, I would def notice a Ferrari/Lambo before a Porsche, but I do notice EVERY Porsche that I see.

Speaking of standing out like a sore thumb, I was looking at the window of my hospital and I spotted an Orange Mucielago driving by.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Wayne K is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lopro
what is wrong with people?
No respect. I see it in some form most days. I live in a nice neighborhood and take pride in our home and grounds as I would guess most people here do. Yet on almost a daily basis a few of the neighbors as well as others that walk their dogs into my neighborhood let them come in our yard and pee and **** and keep going. I've requested to some that they not continue to do this and now I'm the bad a$$. Too many people have become part of the me society. It is OK for them not to respect your property but leave theirs alone. It really is sad. I'd like to see how that guy would react if I ran over his car like that. Sorry for the long vent but lack of respect really grinds me.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Wayne K
No respect. I see it in some form most days. I live in a nice neighborhood and take pride in our home and grounds as I would guess most people here do. Yet on almost a daily basis a few of the neighbors as well as others that walk their dogs into my neighborhood let them come in our yard and pee and **** and keep going. I've requested to some that they not continue to do this and now I'm the bad a$$. Too many people have become part of the me society. It is OK for them not to respect your property but leave theirs alone. It really is sad. I'd like to see how that guy would react if I ran over his car like that. Sorry for the long vent but lack of respect really grinds me.
Someone famous, and I don't quite remember who, it might have been Benjamin Franklin said: "The common man is a common son of a *****." Sadly, this seems to be true. You just cannot count on good behavior from the masses.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lopro
my god, The thing thats so bad about that video is that kid has no idea what it takes to afford a car like that. He (judging by his moral) will never have the ***** to apply himself enough to make that kinda of money. He will cry all his life why he never had anything that nice and resort to damaging others nice things because he is trash.

If I saw that happen I would beat that kid so bad he wouldnt know what happend to him the next day. seriously Id put that kid in the hospital if I saw that kinda behaviour. He would learn a lesson that night, we would sit there and wait for the owner if it took hours so I could explain to the owner of that car what he did once I was done with him

sorry that was frusterating to say the least. I worked so hard for my car that Id flip
It is refreshing to hear that some others feel the way I do. It seems like no one is ever interested in teaching anyone a valuable life-lesson anymore, the way it was when I grew up. It's a sign of the times I think. It's important for kids, teen-agers, and even some adults to learn that every action has a consequence.

If some stand-up guy were to have grabbed that kid by the neck and put the fear of God into him, then made him wait for the owner to show up like you said, he would have learned an invaluable lesson that would have lasted his entire life. As it stands, those kids will continue on their path of dregs; exactly what we don't need more of.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:05 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Nycflip22
Yes, I figured Miami would be great for nightlife and restaurants, but is that area and the surrounding areas dense enough where there would be more than one of each store (i.e. Best Buy, Apple Store, gyms) and malls/outlets?

I'm used to going to another store location if "x" is sold at "x" location.

Speaking of not sticking out, that is what I'm looking for. I'd like to live in an affluent area where people are more desensitized to supercars, i.e. LA, Miami, the Hamptons, Dubai! I want my supercar to somewhat blend in. I'd feel much safer that way.
In Manhattan, you'll blend in if you drive a Maybach, Continental GT, or Rolls Royce (granted those type of cars aren't as flashy as sporty/exotic sports cars).
I just want to be able to join my car whenever I want.
Miami will never be as dense or have as many things to do as NYC, but if you are in Palm Beach, Miami Beach, or some areas of Ft. Lauderdale you can drive any supercar around and won't feel out of place.

the only place i've ever been comparable to NYC where you could just walk around and find all these great places to go/do is Paris.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by evil panda
Miami will never be as dense or have as many things to do as NYC, but if you are in Palm Beach, Miami Beach, or some areas of Ft. Lauderdale you can drive any supercar around and won't feel out of place.

the only place i've ever been comparable to NYC where you could just walk around and find all these great places to go/do is Paris.
I've been referred to Paris, but I want to stay in the US.
My search for a warmer/tropical/scenic, car-friendly NYC is very discouraging.
There are no scenic drives that are very close to the city. I like the drives in Cali and it would be amazing if I had the Tail of the Dragon as my backyard
Are there any other dense/large cities close to Miami just to have other options? When I spent a few days in Ft. Lauderdale, although it was beautiful, I can see how it can get boring fast...

Only places I'm considering so far:
Southern Florida
Southern California (Around the LA area) This might be my best bet, but it's so far from all my family and friends
Edgewater, NJ- Only about 20mins from the city, right on the Hudson River, view of NYC

Last edited by MrNurse; 12-02-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:14 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by evil panda

That is correct, but Miami offers other benefits that NYC will never be able to offer.
on one hand, you can be in the middle of all the crouds in south beach, then drive 30 min and be in the middle of the wilderness.
Miami is great for outdoors, nature, fishing etc for most of the year, and that's something the NYC area can never offer.
So sure, we may be missing an apple store or two compared to NYC but I'll take that anyday over the cold winters and pot holes in the city.
Another thing to consider is the cost of living. SFL has plenty of real estate deals right now and for the car guys the 'no inspections' is a nice bonus.

Last edited by AlexN; 12-03-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
I live in LA, daily drive my gt3 everyday...park it everywhere, and there isn't a ding on it after 2 years. You just need to be smart about it. Not sure I could get away with it in NYC though. LA is a very unique place for cars. I often see $400k parked on the street like Toyotas.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Parking GT3/GT3 RS in Public?