GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Parking GT3/GT3 RS in Public?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 PM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
Parking GT3/GT3 RS in Public?

Hello!

I'm considering picking up an F360/430 or a GT3 in the future.

I would not be the type of person to keep my car as a garage queen. I would love to drive it every chance I get/almost as if it were my daily driver.
There is one major problem...Public parking.

I live in New York City and I might move to the southern Florida, near the Miami/West Palm Beach/Palm Springs vicinity.

I know a Ferrari would be worrisome to park on the streets, but how about a GT3? I feel like the GT3 is low-profile enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I believe even a red/yellow 911TT would be fine to park at most areas and the GT3 looks similar to the average eye.

Would it be "safe" to park it when going grocery shopping? The mall? Near restaurants? New York City streets where there are lots of people?
Have you?

I don't want to have to always look for valet parking every single time I want to take my car out to go somewhere. Even then, I wouldn't trust most of the valet guys...

I know it would depend on the socioeconomic majority in that area, but there will always be the exception of people.
For example, one of the gyms I go to is in Dobbs Ferry, NY and it's a relatively wealthy area. There's an F430 I've seen park in that parking lot a few times. I would also feel safe parking in that area if I had an exotic car.

I wish people weren't so awestruck/jealous/etc about these cars so that I wouldn't have to worry so much. They're still cars- just with a more expensive price-tag

Of course I will always think of this video...

Last edited by MrNurse; 11-29-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 PM
GETU1 is infamous around these partsGETU1 is infamous around these parts
Wow that video boils my blood...

Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GETU1
Wow that video boils my blood...
Was hoping his leg was going to go through the glass and sever his popliteal artery......gee, did I say that out loud?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
an invisible gt3 ?

[quote=Nycflip22;3385662]Hello!

I know a Ferrari would be worrisome to park on the streets, but how about a GT3? I feel like the GT3 is low-profile enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I believe even a red/yellow 911TT would be fine to park at most areas and the GT3 looks similar to the average eye.

Yeah the spoiler makes the gt3 disappear . . .

The insane abuse of personal property is sad (your vid). It could happen on upper Park Avenue as well as the Bowery. Just a car (I think not). When you leave anything worth $100k on the street or an open lot you have to take notice, sh_t will happen eventually. It might not even be plainly bad behavior, just an accident.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to all

Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 PM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
[quote=LPpfs997;3385770]
Originally Posted by Nycflip22
Hello!

Yeah the spoiler makes the gt3 disappear . . .

The insane abuse of personal property is sad (your vid). It could happen on upper Park Avenue as well as the Bowery. Just a car (I think not). When you leave anything worth $100k on the street or an open lot you have to take notice, sh_t will happen eventually. It might not even be plainly bad behavior, just an accident.
I believe there'd be a lot of people that couldn't tell the difference between a Cayman with a Techart/Cayman R spoiler and a GT3..especially if both were dark colors. A black/silver/etc. Porsche GT3 would not draw nearly as much attention as a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

What I'm saying is that essentially it's just a car and people shouldn't be vandalizing it just because it costs more than other cars.

Last edited by MrNurse; 11-29-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:12 PM
997gt3LA is infamous around these parts
Actually I would never give my car to valet those people just don't know how to drive a bicycle let alone my gt3!! You should be fine with smart public Parking. But I live In LA much easier than NY city.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 AM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
Parking on the street in NYC? In a word - don't.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
I live in Manhattan. You don't want to drive a GT3 in NYC. I bring my RS into the City sparingly and it is never fun.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 PM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
My silver/Orange RS attracts as much attention as the LP's, 430's, Scuds etc that I drive with!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Was hoping his leg was going to go through the glass and sever his popliteal artery......gee, did I say that out loud?
+1. my thought (not exactly, but i am on your side)

Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Hello!

i drove my base 997 from boston to manhattan once, it was parked in the underground garage in marriott at times square. i got to tell you - driving in NYC was nightmare, i will never do it again. my front bumper is stock and it sits high, as i ws going around to friends in brooklin, then back to hotel i scraped my car several times, overall i think it is just a bad idea, and i have no clue how gt3 low sitting bumper will let you to get around the city at all.
new 991 car is said to have less issues with long sticking nose - may be it will be easier, but 997 is horrible in the city if you have to get in and out of garages, you just hit every ramp and every speedbump.

all aboe is on top of an obvious fact that you must be ready to get scratches, bumps and hits on exterior from both cars and crazy punks who will jump on your car when you are not around. only way to enjoy expensive car in the city is to leave it in the monitored heated garage with gated access, not open to general public. if you plan to leave car on a street in any big city - do it at your own risk, especially in NYC.

Last edited by utkinpol; 12-01-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
I'm just responding to your possible move to Florida. Having seen most of the areas you have talked about in the thread you MAY want to check out Naples is you want more south Florida and close to the coast. It is on the west coast but the economy hasn't hit Naples anywhere near the extent of West Palm, Miami, ect.

Just my .02

Hello!

I would not be the type of person to keep my car as a garage queen. I would love to drive it every chance I get/almost as if it were my daily driver.
There is one major problem...Public parking.

I live in New York City and I might move to the southern Florida, near the Miami/West Palm Beach/Palm Springs vicinity.

Would it be "safe" to park it when going grocery shopping? The mall? Near restaurants? New York City streets where there are lots of people?
Have you?

I don't want to have to always look for valet parking every single time I want to take my car out to go somewhere. Even then, I wouldn't trust most of the valet guys...

I know it would depend on the socioeconomic majority in that area, but there will always be the exception of people.
For example, one of the gyms I go to is in Dobbs Ferry, NY and it's a relatively wealthy area. There's an F430 I've seen park in that parking lot a few times. I would also feel safe parking in that area if I had an exotic car.

I wish people weren't so awestruck/jealous/etc about these cars so that I wouldn't have to worry so much. They're still cars- just with a more expensive price-tag

Of course I will always think of this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9bvD...ure=plpp_video

Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
As far as the video goes, that guy would have been shot . . .

Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Yeah, that kid needs a serious beating, at a minimum. That is infuriating to watch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Parking GT3/GT3 RS in Public?