Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Bidding on a GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:11 AM
m5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud of
Bidding on a GT3 RS

I am currently bidding on a GT3 RS on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-GT3-RS-3-8-L-11-GT3-RS-3-8L-Carrera-White-Black-NAV-PCCB-Axle-Lift-Chrono-Beverly-Hills-/170736979131?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c0b78cbb

While looking at the car fax, I saw this:

11/10/2011 1,171 Beverly Hills Porsche
Beverly Hills, CA
310-557-2472 beverlyhillsporsche.com
Engine removed to complete repair
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Engine compression checked
Fuel pressure checked
Intake manifold gasket replaced
Camshaft(s) replaced
Maintenance inspection completed
Tire condition and pressure checked
11/14/2011 1,187 Beverly Hills Porsche
Beverly Hills, CA
310-557-2472
beverlyhillsporsche.com
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Battery/charging system checked
Battery replaced
Steering wheel replaced
Tire condition and pressure checked

Is this what I think it is? That the car was in a crash or some other major engine related incident? Replacing steering wheel, battery, engine intake gaskets and camshaft surely is a huge red flag for a car with such low miles? I am asking this against all hope (I kind of like the car) but I would be super miffed if these entries mean what I think they mean. What do you guys think?

Last edited by m5trol; 12-04-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:58 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Why not call the dealer and ask them what happened to it?

Old 12-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Why not call the dealer and ask them what happened to it?
+1, particularly if you have the VIN, which I suspect you do. Don't ask them for any ownership information, only to tell you why that work was done. I hope they can release that level of information to you as a perspective buyer of the car (even though I'm guessing you're not buying it from the same dealership). Good luck!

Old 12-04-2011, 05:13 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
It is at a dealer, call them and ask for more details. Should be no trouble for them, I am sure it is OK, dealers don't hang on to cars with stories.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:19 PM
m5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud of
Thanks for the advice but this car was originally sold new by the same dealer and it looks like a dealer buy back. I am going to chat with the service people tomorrow but I really don't think I can justify the asking price (standard 2011 gt3 rs values) for a car that had its cam shaft, engine intakes, battery and steering wheels replaced and then the car bought back by the dealer immediately afterwards. I am thinking this is the dealer potentially doing it right by a valued customer but that does not mean I need to buy this car. Right?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:16 AM
JTquint is infamous around these parts
The RS was bought there and traded back in with no CPO offered....?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:26 PM
bga23 is infamous around these partsbga23 is infamous around these partsbga23 is infamous around these partsbga23 is infamous around these partsbga23 is infamous around these partsbga23 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JTquint
The RS was bought there and traded back in with no CPO offered....?
Warranty only started a few months ago so a lot of dealers don't feel they need to add a CPO while the factory warranty has so much time left.

That said, if you the answers you receive pass muster I'd still ask them to CPO it. If they balk there is a decent chance they can't certify it, in which case you should run.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:27 PM
jasonmorris1809 is infamous around these parts
I'd research long and hard before buying it, could end up no big deal though, no harm in asking them.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the replies, based on info provided, I am passing on the car. Apparently this repair was a result of over-revs. I thought there was some sort of limiter to prevent that sort of thing from happening, I guess not.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
What happened to the 4.0?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by m5trol
Thanks for the replies, based on info provided, I am passing on the car. Apparently this repair was a result of over-revs. I thought there was some sort of limiter to prevent that sort of thing from happening, I guess not.
there is a limiter for on throttle/in gear over revs, but the limiter's not fast enough for missed upshift over revs and especially mechanical down shift over revs or the dreaded 5-2 or 4-3 'up' shift.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:55 PM
They're asking 150k for it....poor owner that they dupe into buying it...

Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
What happened to the 4.0?
It turns out I was right. They wanted a 20K market adjustment

My principal is that I will not pay over msrp for anything. Would have loved to but I knew it was too good to be true.