Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 GT3 Experts Needed! Is this for real?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Volder is infamous around these parts
996 GT3 Experts Needed! Is this for real?

Short background: I found a sweet GT3 yesterday, drove it, loved it, would like to buy it.

By now you are thinking great, buy it!

Here's the problem. The guy is claiming that this is a 2003 996 GT3 that was special ordered from Germany in US spec (left hand drive, mph on the spedo, looks like a US car). I always thought that the 996 GT3 didn't start until MY04. Is this right? Could there be a US spec 2003 996 GT3? I've never seen one, and can't find any others. The car also has back seats, which the current owner claimed to have installed. This kinda throws me off. I don't mind the back seats, just doesn't seem right.

When you run the VIN the car comes up as a 2003 996 C4S.

Here's the kicker, The tack has an 8200 RPM redline. Yes, I revved it to 8200 to check. It does go to 8200 without complaining one bit. I feel it encouraging me to keep going. It likes 8200 RPM.

Is this a genuine GT3, or just a very elaborate hoax? Did someone sink mad amounts of cash into a C4S (including the engine) to make it a GT3?

If it is a genuine 2003 996 GT3, does anyone have stats on the car (hp, tq, weight, etc)?

Old 12-04-2011, 04:01 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
VIN is king not a GT3. Did you check the VIN at several places. Be vary wary about this car.

Peter

Old 12-04-2011, 04:17 PM
I checked the vin using some "free online VIN decoders" they all came back with different things, but I saw C4S the majority of the time.

Without paying for a report, CarFax says...
Vehicle:2003 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA 2S/4S

Old 12-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
here are a few things to think about....the 996 GT3 Mark II came out in MY 2004...I have seen a few Mark I's but I don't know if they were imported to the US or were just a euro model....the owner might have just changed the gauge face along with badging...although the needle indicates 8200 red line the engine might really be just reving to C4S spec...does it have a back seat? or does it say GT3 under the rear window? The brakes should have GT hats on the rotors...if you have a friend at a Porsche dealer have them check the vin or go into the parts department with the vin and have them look up the car...most likely an elaborate fake

Old 12-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Buyer beware in a big way on that car! Too many yellow flags, so I'd be in serious detective mode assuming the price/mileage/condition are right for you. Remember that if you pay near GT3 money for a C4S that was converted, then you're almost certainly not likely to get that money back...so it's a dangerous situation for you as a buyer. Good luck, and let us know how this one turns out.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:14 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Post up some pics.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
here are a few things to think about....the 996 GT3 Mark II came out in MY 2004...I have seen a few Mark I's but I don't know if they were imported to the US or were just a euro model....the owner might have just changed the gauge face along with badging...although the needle indicates 8200 red line the engine might really be just reving to C4S spec...does it have a back seat? or does it say GT3 under the rear window? The brakes should have GT hats on the rotors...if you have a friend at a Porsche dealer have them check the vin or go into the parts department with the vin and have them look up the car...most likely an elaborate fake
Good point about the tach reving to C4S spec. Never thought about that.

I have to admit, after driving 4-5 996tt cars and a couple 997s cars, this one definitely rides different. It felt like I was riding on concrete, I wondered if it had any suspension at all!

It does have back seats. The current owner told me that HE had them installed. If they were installed, I can't tell. It also has navigation (I thought the GT3 didn't have a radio, let alone nav?) and Bose sound. Everything is completely clean and well taken care of.

One other thing, the sound is absolutely heavenly. Definitely doesn't sound like any 996 I've ever heard. I nearly hit the Big-O everytime I shifted.

Where would I see the word "GT3" under the rear window? Inside? Outside?

If it's a hoax, it is extremely elaborate! Even the door-sills have GT3 badges.

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Buyer beware in a big way on that car! Too many yellow flags, so I'd be in serious detective mode assuming the price/mileage/condition are right for you. Remember that if you pay near GT3 money for a C4S that was converted, then you're almost certainly not likely to get that money back...so it's a dangerous situation for you as a buyer. Good luck, and let us know how this one turns out.
Some guys that race porsches are (professionally) coming tomorrow to try and play detective. They know P-Cars inside and out. Should be able to help verify authenticity (or not).

Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Post up some pics.
I don't really have any good pictures of the car. I'll post what I have, but these are the pics that came to me via email. I have seen it in person and it's absolutely beautiful.

Attached Images      
Old 12-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Nope, Sits way too high and the GT3 badge appears to be way to high.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Misanors4
Nope, Sits way too high and the GT3 badge appears to be way to high.
You are right, the badge is too high! Fake badge!

Old 12-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
i agree the car sits to high and the badge is off. also, this is definately not a c4s body

Old 12-04-2011, 05:58 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Misanors4
Nope, Sits way too high
this was my first reaction. it looks like an offroad vehicle!

i guess it could have been fitted with a smaller diameter wheel/tire combo to explain that...but it does look off to my eyes.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:37 PM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
Suspension sits too high, rear badging is off, and the calipers are black. Too many yellow flags to warrant the real deal. RUN!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
back seat...navigation...ride height...GT3 badge...no GT3 badge in the rear ****pit under the tray....those aren't yellow flags they are bright red!! you should expose this poser for what he is....even, and this is speculative at best, if he went to the trouble to install a GT3 motor and drivetrain plus suspensiion it will never be a GT3 and you will never get your money out of it...it doesn't look to me that he has changed any of the suspension with the way it sits...and I would doubt that anyone that went to the trouble to put in the engine/drivetrain would screw up a simple thing like the rear badge

Old 12-04-2011, 08:34 PM
jasebird is infamous around these parts
sitting way to high.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 Experts Needed! Is this for real?