Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Looking to make the jump from a Boxster Spyder...school me on GT3 and GT3RS .1 and .2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:22 PM
mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !
Looking to make the jump from a Boxster Spyder...school me on GT3 and GT3RS .1 and .2

Hi guys,

Been a long time lurker and reader on these forums and Rennlist but I don't post a ton. Currently I am in a Boxster Spyder PDK which I love, but am contemplating making the move to a slightly pre owned GT3 or RS. I really miss the manual trans as great as the PDK is. I would prefer the mk 2 styling and I think these are a little more road compliant for every day driving as well? This wouldn't be my DD, but I would definitely be using it on the street much more than the track. Maybe a few DE's per year but nothing serious. Thoughts and suggestions? Must have options?

Old 12-09-2011, 03:55 PM
PolarPorsche is infamous around these parts
Go for it, the GT3 is a great car. Both cars are awesome, the Spyder being the better all around sports car and the GT3 the track beast that is very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

Go for the 997.2 GT3 it's the easiest one to drive of the current GT3’s. The GT3 IMHO is not a great street car, but each to their own.

Last edited by PolarPorsche; 12-09-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:53 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I just picked up a 997.1GT3, and this is one incredible car. The advantage of the .1 over the .2 is a no center lock wheels, as well as a lot less money. I think that it is a great bang for the buck.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:43 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I own a .1 and have driven a .2 enough to know the difference. .1 seems to be a bit bumpier as compared to the .2 I drove (thanks KYROCKS) which had dynamic engine mounts and Super Sports on it. Not sure why - just know how they feel. Power was noticeably higher through the band, but not a deal-breaker to shy me away from the .1.

If money is no concern then .2, but if you want to save some bucks and invest the difference in consumables and track days then .1. It's all good.

I have not driven the .1 or .2 RS, but the power difference will be greater between the two cars in the RS - I believe the .2 RS has 450 hp and the .1 RS has the same as the .1 GT3 - 415. The .2 GT3 has 435 hp.

In any event, the power of these cars is beyond most people's ability to drive them, so this should not be the determining factor. A .1 is just fine for anyone from the green run group to the white!

Good luck with the search and the decision. It's a lot of fun.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:00 AM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
Hey. Made a similar jump myself (from gen 2 CS to .2 GT3). I lamented over doing it for a long time but as someone else mentioned, after changing, it's "Cayman who?". I loved the CS, don't get me wrong; it's just that the GT3 is an entirely different experience. I love mine. I will be the one dissenting opinion on the DEM's though. Before I bought mine (non-DEM) car, I found out they could be retrofit and was planning on doing them. Then after contacting 3 of the top tuning Porsche tuning shops in the area, ALL said they were overrated and not a must have. After tracking the car a bunch of times, I think they might be an incremental improvement but not night/day. I have asked anyone to quantify the difference in lap times and have yet to have one person prove they make the car any faster.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:37 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
The best education I had was to start at the beginning of the GT3 forum posts and start reading what interests you. Should take you about 6 hours to know everything you need. If you are not into research, then just pick up a 997 GT3.1 and it will all become clear.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
That will be a big jump, but I'm sure a rewarding one. If you end up buying a .2 I believe one of the more desirable options to wait for is the front end lifting system, however they officially call it, so that you can clear driveways and speed bumps at low speeds. Best wishes and good luck to you.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 AM
PBR ME is infamous around these partsPBR ME is infamous around these parts
Made this same move about a year ago, from a PDK BS to an 11 RS....Do it, don't look back... the RS is a spectacular car, and can EASILY be daily driven.... the only time it is even close to a pain is in stop and go traffic, the clutch can be a bit heavy... mine is not my DD, but I did have a 3 week period this fall where it was forced to be, and even with cup tires, in 40 deg and pouring windy rain, it was absolutely fine... I DD it for that 3 week period 75 miles a day, and had no problem....In fact, it made me get a C4GTS as my DD because after driving it that much, I knew I needed a fun fast car for everyday...

Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 AM
NYNick is infamous around these parts
What about the TT to GT3/GT3RS?

Am I crazy? I own a 2009 TT CAB and sure it's awesome, although, (may I say it?), could it be it isolates me a bit from the seat of the pants driving I think I want?

I've always been a bit of an over the top purist, lusting after Clubsports and the like, and I've owned C2's and C4's and even C4S'.

Is the GT3 overkill? Is the GT3RS overkill? I doubt I'll do a lot of track driving, but tend to like the firm, responsive driving I think the TT lacks. Maybe I need to mod it?

Sure, the uninitiated Porsche buyer wants the Turbo, and think the Turbo Cab is the zenith of the line. But I wonder...

Opinions?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 AM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
NYNick,
You made me smile with your post. I just went through the same exact experience. I had a TT, then bought a TTS thinking that the TTS would give me the feel that I was looking for.

Well, I ended up driving an 07' GT3 and was blown away. I knew right then and there that, I needed to get rid of my TTS. The TTS is a great automobile don't get me wrong, but it did not have the raw/visceral feeling that the GT3 can give you. The TTS is wicked fast, but honestly I got bored with it very fast.

I purchased the GT3 RS, and it's such an awesome car. Is it overkill? No way! Not for me. Every time I drive my RS, I know that I am driving a unique of car. The RS never let's you forget that you are driving a street legal race car. The sound of the engine is just intoxicating. The car is well planted, and it's a pleasure to drive. I drive my car to the office (40+ mile each way), grocery store, kids school, etc....Can this car be used as a DD? Well, I met a gentleman from PA, which owns an RS and he uses his car as his DD. He drove from PA to CA in his RS and told me he was loving every moment of the drive. In one year he has put 20,000 miles on his car. Honestly, I could not believe my ears when he was telling me this. A couple of weeks later, I purchased my RS and the rest is history. I'm very glad, I made the switch.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:19 AM
NYNick is infamous around these parts
Thanks George.
Guess I'll have to locate one and take it for a spin...

Does anyone remove that spoiler and just drive around with the whale/duck tail?
I'd keep it for the track, but it's a little much from here to the golf course.

(I mean, since I'm going to Porsche hell for trading a TT for a GT3RS, I might as well take the express train.)

Nick

Old 12-15-2011, 11:54 AM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Nick,

If you go to the GT3, you might as well go all the way to the RS. Good luck with the purchase:-)

Old 12-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I'm in the midst of shopping for a GT3 as well. In my case I'm going from an 09 C2S to an 07 GT3. I was about to pick up a new GTS today when I saw an 07 GT3 on the dealer's lot. The papers were ready to sign for the GTS and I asked the sales guy about the GT3. I told him I wanted to think about the two until Monday morning. At this point I'm leaning towards the 07 GT3.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Alan C.
I'm in the midst of shopping for a GT3 as well. In my case I'm going from an 09 C2S to an 07 GT3. I was about to pick up a new GTS today when I saw an 07 GT3 on the dealer's lot. The papers were ready to sign for the GTS and I asked the sales guy about the GT3. I told him I wanted to think about the two until Monday morning. At this point I'm leaning towards the 07 GT3.
What did you decide?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
It's looking like the GT3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to make the jump from a Boxster Spyder...school me on GT3 and GT3RS .1 and .2