GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

2010 Porsche GT3 oil seepage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Dus10reed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by g_s
Dus10reed

The seepage is from the valves cover seal (underneath the outlet valves cam), is this the rear main seal?

While visiting the Porsche workshop, I've noticed several engines dropped; is this something you have to live with owning a Porsche?

Unfortunately I'll be out of town right after the car is fixed and I buy it. On the positive side, this may be a good test for the new seal?
The shop needs to make sure that the oil they see isn't being blown there from the RMS... The RMS leak is in front of the motor where the transmision connects to the engine. I've never heard of an oil leak on the valve cover but the RMS issue is common with the GT3's but that doesn't mean what they saw isn't true I would just have them double check the RMS area to make sure it's not weeping there, being blown back into the motor and pooling and dripping from the valve cover... I've seen coolant leaks on Porsche motors that you would swear they were coming from the rear bottom of the engine and when you get into it, it was actually coming from the top of the front of the motor and being blown back or friction was trickling the leak along the block and then not dripping till it got to the back...

Leaks can be tricky to source sometimes.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
g_s
g_s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Taffin
George, check this one out as well. It is a gen2 RS for same money as the silver non rs

http://dubai.dubizzle.com/classified...RzL3BvcnNjaGUv
Much appreciated Taffin.

It's mostly going to be a daily drive; imo the 997.2 GT3RS doesn't serve this purpose with its colour contrast, stickers and rear wing..

But why on earth would anyone buy a GT3RS over a GT3 and not drive it on track?

Last edited by g_s; 12-15-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: ttypo
Old 12-15-2011, 02:58 PM
g_s
Originally Posted by Dus10reed
The shop needs to make sure that the oil they see isn't being blown there from the RMS... The RMS leak is in front of the motor where the transmision connects to the engine. I've never heard of an oil leak on the valve cover but the RMS issue is common with the GT3's but that doesn't mean what they saw isn't true I would just have them double check the RMS area to make sure it's not weeping there, being blown back into the motor and pooling and dripping from the valve cover... I've seen coolant leaks on Porsche motors that you would swear they were coming from the rear bottom of the engine and when you get into it, it was actually coming from the top of the front of the motor and being blown back or friction was trickling the leak along the block and then not dripping till it got to the back...

Leaks can be tricky to source sometimes.
Thanks for the pointers Dus10reed.
I'll revisit the workshop to ensure they've inspected the RMS.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:56 AM
g_s
UPDATE
After a whole week, I was advised by Porsche service centre that the car cannot be handed over today as scheduled.

The valves cover sealant was replaced but an o-ring needs replacement and is not available in stock. No further details given or known by the service advisor except that it will take two weeks to obtain this very mysterious part from Germany.

Wanted:
Carrara white 997.2 GT3. Low mileage. Not been raced or on track.
All options appreciated (except sun roof, lightweight halogen lamps and stickers).

Old 12-18-2011, 06:37 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
FTR, RMS leaks are rare on a .2 gt3. Porsche did make some changes from the .1 gt3s. So I don't know that I would go out and change the RMS to a turbo seal as has been commonly done with the last generation.

Personally, I'd be satisfied with Porsche's warranty fix and get the car if it is what you like. These cars can sit as long as you properly store them. I can offer my tips on that topic or you can search here and Rennlist.

Hopes this helps.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:05 AM
g_s
thanks for the reply 911dev.

The car is in great condition save this oil seepage; so i might reconsider it when i am back from my imminent trip if it is not sold by then.

But shouldn't have Porsche workshop noticed the absence of that 'o-ring' a week ago and ordered the part by express mail? (instead of the 2-week horseback relay)

I would appreciate your tips on storage as my travel dictates that I leave my car sitting quite often. Will do some reading thru your posts.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:52 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by g_s
thanks for the reply 911dev.

The car is in great condition save this oil seepage; so i might reconsider it when i am back from my imminent trip if it is not sold by then.

But shouldn't have Porsche workshop noticed the absence of that 'o-ring' a week ago and ordered the part by express mail? (instead of the 2-week horseback relay)

I would appreciate your tips on storage as my travel dictates that I leave my car sitting quite often. Will do some reading thru your posts.
I don't have any posts re: storage. I would happy to respond to a PM with my personal take on proper storage, if you like.

I was suggesting searching the two forums for other opinions on the topic.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:02 PM
g_s
Originally Posted by 911dev
I don't have any posts re: storage. I would happy to respond to a PM with my personal take on proper storage, if you like.

I was suggesting searching the two forums for other opinions on the topic.
911dev

would appreciate your feedback on 997.2 GT3 proper storage; will get back to you on that matter once i buy one.

can't send pm until my post count > 15