Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why a GT2 or GT3 over a turbo AWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:30 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
all you need is a short opening in traffic to appreciate the power of the turbos/GT2 and bring a smile to your face.
You will need a race track to come anywhere close to the handling limits of any car.
I drive mostly on the street so the choice to go with the GT2 was easy.
Even Walter Rohel agrees that on the street he will prefer the turbos. I remember seeing it in one of his videos

Old 01-10-2012, 04:05 PM
xeattle is infamous around these parts
Walter Röhrl on 911 GT3 vs. 911 Turbo

Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 PM
slimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud of
The 911 turbo is built for the masses. If you want a driver's car, than go with the gt's.

I had the choice of a 2008 GT2 and the 2010 gt3 rs for the same price. I chose the gt3 rs.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slimkev
The 911 turbo is built for the masses. If you want a driver's car, than go with the gt's.

I had the choice of a 2008 GT2 and the 2010 gt3 rs for the same price. I chose the gt3 rs.
Totally agree, the bottom line, as many have said, if your priority is push you back in the seat torque the turbo is for you, if you want to feel totally connected to the car the GT3 is the way to go. It's hard to describe if you haven't driven one, kind of like telling someone what it's like to be a parent when they have no children, not the same but you get the idea. That being said I drive my GT3 on weekends and a few track days, if it was an everyday car in traffic etc., I might want a Turbo with PDK. The GT3 has a harder ride, less sound insulation, stiff clutch, fewer luxury options, etc. so you have to be willing to give that stuff up to get the visceral, raw, connected driving experience, it's not for everyone.

I did the Turbo thing, modified the engine, suspension etc. but in the end it's only advantage over the GT3 was acceleration and that wasn't enough for me, it almost felt numb compared to the GT3. I thought I would drive both but the Turbo just sat in the garage so I sold it.

That's why Porsche makes so many models, there something for everyone as long as your willing to pay.

Last edited by Bruce; 01-11-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:43 PM
JTquint is infamous around these parts
I concur with the already noted posts. I switched my RS with my buddy that has a 2011 Turbo S PDK Cabriolet..., The only thing that I would undeniably envy is the rag top down on my way to the Florida Keyes..! That being said..., the raw power and the auto shifts are pretty cool too.! BUT still apples and oranges...,

Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM
LFC911Kop2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
You just cant compare a Turbo to a GT2 or GT3/RS the pure driving experience is second to none in the GT2 /GT3-RS.
The Turbo is muted with to many electronic gizmo's etc.

Sure you can always add Ohlins to a turbo and do all the suspension upgrades but why go through that when you can have something pure out of the box.

Hard to describe its just something you have to experience first hand.

I get to drive some pretty cool cars day in and day out and for me personally the GT2 will always be the ultimate driving experience closely followed by a GT3/RS.

Dont get me wrong its not like I would kick a turbo out of the garage either

JMHO.
I have a 2010 turbo but I mostly drive my 2011 GT3RS. The RS is exhilarating and a huge difference in handling. When I want an adrenalin rush... The GT3RS is what I go to. I won't get rid of my turbo as it gives me a very different feeling.. Definitely hard to describe but my God the RS is spectacular in every way!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
both good cars
some will never like TT
others will never like GT
for example i dont even like the word "turbo". no matter how good the car is, if it's "turbo"... i become limp.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
I would like to do the GT-RS but to me I just can not justify the extra cash. Especially when 60g buys a dam good turbo with heeps of mods and enough room to do the suspension and a few other things. I do agree with what someone else mentioned here... I hate the sound that most of the turbo's make, where-as I have heard several RS's with aftermarket exhaust that just sound like poetry in motion at about 5+ grand

I guess this summer I will have to steal a customers or students RS car for a day to know what you guys are talking about. I have had numerous offers in the past but I have a thing with driving other peoples toys; I generally do not do it.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:59 PM
JTquint is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LFC911Kop2
I have a 2010 turbo but I mostly drive my 2011 GT3RS. The RS is exhilarating and a huge difference in handling. When I want an adrenalin rush... The GT3RS is what I go to. I won't get rid of my turbo as it gives me a very different feeling.. Definitely hard to describe but my God the RS is spectacular in every way!

Now that's the ticket...!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:08 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
two questions: street or track??? doesn't mean you can't drive either on both, but if you truly want a car thats for a early sunday morning drive, hauling a-- in the canyons or track, then the GT-3 is the only way to go... if you want a car thats impressive on the streets with an occasional ride in the canyon, turbo all day long... i wish i would have bought a gt-3.. i am installing a boost control to lower the boost for those sunday rides.. if i wasn't married to my car now i would have a GT-3.. i will just have to add to the coral!!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 PM
T.Hill is a jewel in the roughT.Hill is a jewel in the roughT.Hill is a jewel in the roughT.Hill is a jewel in the rough
I agree with mod mike. It really depends on what you're using the car for.
Yes, an RS will get your blood pumping on track or throughout that Sunday drive, but it also requires much more concentration every other time you're in it. Stiff for track performance is good, but stiff for daily driving can get old.
Its the age old story... Street car - Turbo. Track car - RS.

However, if you're using the car for both applications, the Turbo can be modified for better track performance. The RS on the other hand, cannot be tamed.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by T.Hill
The RS on the other hand, cannot be tamed.
Which is exactly why it is preferred by some.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Rental Metard
You definitely need to drive them to feel your preference. You do get that extra exclusivity with the GT3 or GT2 which is nice for some people. I drove my buddy's track modified 996 GT3 back to back with my street modified 996 Turbo and decided that the GT3 wasn't for me and took it off of my short list for my next car. It just didn't have the power that I became used to in my Turbo.

A 996 Turbo can be easily modified to RWD and have the extra weight shaved but I've heard it's not the same as driving a GT2. To me, the AWD is definitely more forgiving though and far superior if you ever encounter wet track conditions.
Besides, with PSM off a a 450 -500hp Turbo can be also very enjoyable regardless if it is AWD or RWD

Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by T.Hill
I agree with mod mike. It really depends on what you're using the car for.
Yes, an RS will get your blood pumping on track or throughout that Sunday drive, but it also requires much more concentration every other time you're in it. Stiff for track performance is good, but stiff for daily driving can get old.
Its the age old story... Street car - Turbo. Track car - RS.

However, if you're using the car for both applications, the Turbo can be modified for better track performance. The RS on the other hand, cannot be tamed.
I wanted something less numb than my Turbo and the RS was too extreme for me. I wanted a bit more luxury than the RS (i use it mostly as a street car) but I wanted the connected feel of a a GT3 so I got the "regular" GT3, which for me is the perfect combination.

Last edited by Bruce; 01-12-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:57 AM
VTGT3 is infamous around these parts
Most simple way to think about it-

Turbo- Fantastic Grand Touring Car (even though engine in wrong place )

GT3- Street legal Racecar

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why a GT2 or GT3 over a turbo AWD