Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why a GT2 or GT3 over a turbo AWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM
sbgt3 is infamous around these parts
Best thing to do is drive both. I wanted a turbo to replace my 996 until I drove a GT3. I really like the sudden rush of the turbo, but the GT3 was for me. Just like clothes and shoes, it is a matter of personal preference and you need to really try them on for size.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:40 AM
uptheorg is infamous around these parts
GT variants are ultimately more collectible

Old 01-14-2012, 10:49 AM
MTV
MTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really nice
Turbo all the way if you're using for street and track.
GT variant if you will ultimately drive it on the track.

GTs can also make a nice daily, but the turbo, coupled with huge possibility of gains from simple mods takes the cake for me.

Like someone stated before, the turbo can be manipulated into what you want... the GTs cannot be tamed

Old 01-15-2012, 02:17 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VTGT3
Most simple way to think about it-

Turbo- Fantastic Grand Touring Car (even though engine in wrong place )

GT3- Street legal Racecar
If a Turbo is a Grand touring coupe, then what is an M6 or an Audi RS6?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:10 AM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by LFC911Kop2
I have a 2010 turbo but I mostly drive my 2011 GT3RS. The RS is exhilarating and a huge difference in handling. When I want an adrenalin rush... The GT3RS is what I go to. I won't get rid of my turbo as it gives me a very different feeling.. Definitely hard to describe but my God the RS is spectacular in every way!
^ this guy has the right idea. when in doubt, get both!!!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 AM
NeverFastEnough is infamous around these parts
Unfortunately none of these cars are "all-round" perfect cars , and Porsche has pretty specific target audiences for each of them. So it depends not only on what type of driver you are, but also where you intend to drive them...real world, bumper to bumper, uneven roads, speed bumps, straight interstates, terrible drivers, etc. or smooth tracks, with other good drivers, different camber corners (and lots of them), etc.

I have had a chance to drive stock C2's, TT's and GT3's on the track, and talking to others who have done the same, the hands down preferred car was the GT3 ...sound, communication, weight transfer under braking and cornering, and controllable linear acceleration. The C2 came in second. The TT last ...heavy, wicked weight transfers under braking and cornering, unpredictable PDK in auto mode (therefore keep in "manual mode") but awesome power under boost (if you can keep it there; hence, somewhat "uneven" power delivery in the hands of so-so drivers). Having said that I have been a passenger with professional race car drivers and they are able to keep the turbo under boost at almost all times on the track, and the car becomes a completely different animal, but you cannot drive like that on the street, and it looks like a lot of work...you have to be a really, really, really good driver, and brave! I have been a passenger in a GT2RS under the same conditions and you quickly learn that probably 90% (or higher) of the people who bought these cars would never (and probably should not) take these cars to the levels they are capable of doing (unless they have had a lot of professional training/experience).

I have owned both. As where I live the streets are mostly straight and somewhat bumpy, and I did not track my GT3 at the time, I felt I was wasting the car, so I got a TTS...the straight line acceleration under boost is wicked and addictive. Do I miss the GT3? You bet I do, and in the future if I go to the track more I would get a GT3/RS variant, no question.

Take both for a spin. See what suits you. Both are excellent cars.

Last edited by NeverFastEnough; 01-15-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Well it looks like I made a choice, as much as I would have loved a GT3 especially a GT3 RS the price did not seem worth it or practicle for what I wanted to do with it.

I finally broke down and went for one of the first cars I liked when I first started looking.

I had some Drama over this car when I first started looking but as long as my inspection works out it looks like I am the proud owner of a moded 2003 TT X50 minus the T24's. They were replaced with a set of Billet moded 16's.

I was thinking GT3 but considering the use of the car I figured a turbo AWD would be a better all around car. Driving in the rain, not much track, a lack of great twisty roads in my hood.

I really wanted a different engine upgrade package but I will likely be happy enough with the way this thing is done.

All I will likely do is rework the suspension with some ohlins stuff, some links and sways then drive the stuffing out of it... OH yeah and some gold 8 pistons for the front. Also the front bumper will likely be replace with a OEM GT2 bumper for the looks and stock fitment.

Yeeeeee Hawwwwwwww

Attached Images  

Last edited by Engine Guy; 01-16-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:49 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Congratulations to you Engine Guy...I hope you really enjoy your new 996TT! You're definitely in the right family, and that looks like a terrific example.