Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Would you trade TT for GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Big Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura about
I did just that. Had a tt cab. Did also sorts of mods namely coilovers and the car handled great. But the more and more I went to to the track i knew I had the wrong car so 8 months later I traded it in for a 2011 gt3 rs. All I can say is ear to ear smiles every time I step into the rs. That said if its just for the street and no track use I'd stick with the turbo. In my eyes the turbo is bets all around daily driver. I'm waiting for the 991 turbo for my next daily driver. Good luck

Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM
carcommander is infamous around these parts
I traded my 08 turbo for a 11 GT3RS. A fun toy but not a great DD. I ended up buying a 07 turbo to go with it. I thenbought a 991 and sold the tubo. I think the 991 is the best yet (for me) but it will get traded for a 991 turbo. It's all good.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Bobby G is infamous around these parts
You're in the right forum if you want the votes to lean heavily the way of the GT3. I think the answer lies in your preferences. Do you prefer a more versatile daily driver? Back seats? Extra torque? A car that's easily modified to add more power? Then the TT is probably your pick. Otherwise, a .2 GT3 is, IMO, more unique, sexier, more exhilarating to drive, handles better, and so friggin' fun to drive, especially in the higher rpm range. Add an exhaust, and you will see what I mean.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Comparing a modified 996 GT3 to my own modified 996 TT is a bit harder, and although I can see why people love the GT3 in its own right (sounds absolutely AMAZING at full boogie, definitely more responsive in near stock form), it would be really, really hard for me to give up the torque of the TT. For a street car, I'd say a TT with some suspension mods might make a better overall choice, but this is a subjective opinion.

Some of it probably depends on what you enjoy doing most, even on the street. No question the GT3 is far superior for track work (stock versus stock), but if you like to drive "lazy" on the street, then the torque is what you're going to miss. The crazy thing about the GT3 to me is that it feels as fast as a stock Turbo in a straight line when you're revving it up (which is no real surprise considering the power to weight ratios are very close). It's just that they deliver their driving experience so differently!

I definitely understand why well heeled Porsche enthusiasts like to have one of each, as they are very different cars overall.

3450/420 = 8.214:1 (996 TT)
3175/380 = 8:355:1 (996 GT3)

I took some liberties by not using exact weights for those comparisons...but you can see that they are very close!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:42 PM
YellowCalliper is infamous around these parts
I went from a TT to a RS and ended up going back to the TT. I loved the RS and it was the most connected car I have ever driven. However, as a daily driver, the heavy clutch in traffic was a nightmare and getting in and out of the car with the seats got old after a while.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 PM
+1 I agree totally.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 PM
95monster is infamous around these parts
I traded my 07 tt for an 11 gt3 tonight! The tt was an awesome car, definitely top of my "bucket list.". But it was my weekend/ date night car, not my daily driver. I suspect the gt3 will turn me in to a track rat.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carcommander
I traded my 08 turbo for a 11 GT3RS. A fun toy but not a great DD. I ended up buying a 07 turbo to go with it. I thenbought a 991 and sold the tubo. I think the 991 is the best yet (for me) but it will get traded for a 991 turbo. It's all good.
damn I keep underwear longer than you keep cars

Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Big Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura about
95 Monster - Congrats! Not sure if its the RS or not but either way you will love it! There are some basic inexpensive mods that you should do right away.

1. Center By-Pass...Sharkwerks, GMG or RSS (I have Sharkwerks) about 1k
2. Alaingnment and Camber - 500
3. Half cage. RSS - $1500. I'm replacing mine (6months old) with a full cage now. If you are interested let me know and I can save you some cash.
4. 5-6 point harnerss 600.

At the very least alignement and camber are must...makes a wrold of a difference. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:29 PM
95monster is infamous around these parts
Thanks Big Al! I was looking at a very similar RS (White w/ Red Wheels & Graphics) but it was too big of a financial pill to swallow. But happily ended up with a Black GT3.

First move is to align & corner balance. Half cage & harness will be phase two.

Thanks to all the rest of you forum posters too. Reading these threads pushed me out of the TT into the GT3.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 AM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Dang... TMI...

hope u remember to wash 'em too or just flip 'em inside out...

Last edited by muifast; 03-30-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 AM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
Other than the heavy clutch (but its actually not too bad) and lack of rear seats (although my son said its about the same as GTR back there)... if road condition is an issue, maybe you can opt for the Sport Seats with thicker padding all around to damp out the ride.

GT3/RS all the way...

Last edited by muifast; 03-30-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
It depends, I had my 97 993 for 11 years and the O8 turbo for 4 years. I didn't like the GT3RS that much I owned it a year and put 900 miles on it.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by carcommander
It depends, I had my 97 993 for 11 years and the O8 turbo for 4 years. I didn't like the GT3RS that much I owned it a year and put 900 miles on it.
Yup, every now and again, I would swap drives with my friend's '96 993 CS widebody and its night and day to what we have today.

Thinking about a 97 4S or Turbo...

Old 03-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by muifast
Yup, every now and again, I would swap drives with my friend's '96 993 CS widebody and its night and day to what we have today.

Thinking about a 97 4S or Turbo...
I loved the 993. I owned a 95 and 96 also. The 991 is better. No 911 sucks I have owned one of some kind for more than 20 years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you trade TT for GT3?