Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Would you trade TT for GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:14 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
turbohead said it well... two would be idea, thats my goal.. i would only trade if the only, or most of the use were at the track... if not then spend 10k on the tt to make it handle right... the way i see it, no matter how fast a car is, there is always someone that's making their car faster.... i was where you're at just last summer.. test drove, numbers were right, but i just could not let that turbo power go.....

Old 03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Both would be a blessing to own but I prefer the raw feel of the GT3 and its RWD high revving lightweight body and tossability.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:07 AM
Mister PINK is infamous around these parts
Tossability = :-)

Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 PM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
Maybe its just me, but NA engine feels a bit more direct than TT. As the power spools up in a rush, it also needs a bit longer to spool down.

Timing is different in driving between the two cars.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 AM
LFC911Kop2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mose55
I think for largely street driving you can mod a turbo to make it much more connected. Never going to be a GT3 but certainly better than OEM. I sold my turbo because i could never really make it into a great track car. Thought of GT3 but landed in a Cayman that I prepped for H class racing. I know lots of guys that enjoy their GT3 on the street but most have modified and are spending more time/miles on track than street. GT3 for me wasn't that great of an option for club racing (need to go cup car route if that is the case). It is a very subjective question...for me, if I weren't planning on tracking alot, I would keep the turbo and upgrade the suspension a little. That boost is intoxicating.
I agree. The turbo boost is intoxicating. I just couldn't give up my turbo when I got my RS because i love the turbo. Two completely different cars for sure.
I wish I could have kept my Cayman because that was a fantastic car! Yours looks amazing!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 PM
tgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the rough
Great discussion here, guys, about the benefits of both cars. I've had my 996TT Cab (Carmon Red w/ black wheels) for three years now, and love it. Been wanting one since I was a kid. Great 'weekend driving in the twisties' car, and decent on the track - better than I am, that's for sure. With that said, as I'm getting more into track driving, I'm considering swapping up for a GT3. Debating whether it's worth it to invest in PSS10's, sway bars, etc for the TT, or go to the GT3.

Anybody have a great 996 or 997 GT3 lying around they don't need anymore?

Tim

Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
I'm surprised no one suggested the GT2 as the best of both worlds..?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 PM
LFC911Kop2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CPB
Have had both. I prefer the GT3. I do track days, but I can DD it very easily too. The suspension on my 997.2 GT3 is nicer/more compliant than the '09 Turbo I had.

GT3 exhaust note is much better too.
I agree with you the GT3 and my RS can easily be a daily driver. I drove it from San Diego to Rennsport in Monterey and it was very comfortable. And the exhaust note... Well what can you say!!! Unmatched!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 AM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AlexN
I'm surprised no one suggested the GT2 as the best of both worlds..?
A big part of the TT vs. GT3 discussion is the naturally aspirated vs. forced induction motor.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 AM
95monster is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bruce
A big part of the TT vs. GT3 discussion is the naturally aspirated vs. forced induction motor.
Absolutely! I like the characteristics of both: the Turbo whoop and the fast revving GT.

Surprisingly for me, the big difference was 4wd vs rear wd. I found the 4wd system in the Turbo disconcerting. In the twisties the car was doing things I wasn't telling it to...vectoring power/brakes to different wheels. I came to rely on it to cover sloppy driving inputs. It wasn't as noticeable on the track but still there. The rear wheel drive GT is much closer to the 911s of old, just better...at everything.

Both great cars and I'm sure there's another Turbo (perhaps Turbo S w/ PDK) in my future.

George

Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Big Al
I did just that. Had a tt cab. Did also sorts of mods namely coilovers and the car handled great. But the more and more I went to to the track i knew I had the wrong car so 8 months later I traded it in for a 2011 gt3 rs. All I can say is ear to ear smiles every time I step into the rs. That said if its just for the street and no track use I'd stick with the turbo. In my eyes the turbo is bets all around daily driver. I'm waiting for the 991 turbo for my next daily driver. Good luck
when you hit the track with the tt was that on r comps or street tires??

Old 04-05-2012, 05:21 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bruce
agreed, I was in the same boat 2 years ago.
I decided that for me I'd prefer to take the turbocharged engine for the power and torque that I can feel every time I'm driving the car.
The responsivness is only missed in some scenarios on the track, and even there, you can take that corner at a lower gear next time.

But you do get the RWD, the suspension, lower weight and the raw feeling that were also discussed a lot in this thread.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
I track bikes (been club racing for 10 years). I have a 997.1tt with full suspension (from TPC), a EP2 and flash, along with some nicer looking wheels. I think its as good a road car as I can imagine. I'm sure a GT3 is better on the track, but I drive my car to work 4 days a week or so, and the assisted clutch, awd, and comfort is key. The torque is great for traffic too.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
I did it, best decision I ever made

Originally Posted by sraz786
Has anyone done this, and if so, what are your thoughts? I found a thread for GT3 to TT conversions but not the other way around. I have a potential opportunity right now to trade in my TT for a GT3 but am very torn. I love the power of the TT, but love the nimbleness of the GT3. I'm thinking of modding the turbo for handling, but not sure how close I'll get to the GT3. Thoughts?
All of above is accurate thinking, but you won't ever get a TT to be as lithe as the GT cars, be they GT2 or GT3. THE biggest single reason I did was the rue exhilaration of a normally aspirated car screaming and pulling. Yes it's slower in a straight line 0-whatever speed, but seriously 400+ HP is plenty for all but a select few on this board who can drive and handle more power in anger on a track.

It's a personal thing, but the Turbos sound like washin machines (don't hate me, I love them) with the zip zip of the turbos spooling, even with a Tubi, they don't come close to the outright soulful howl of the GT3.

If I could have three Porsches, I would have a TT, but if i can only have one, my vote is the GT3. it's the very heart of what Porsche is about at any level.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 PM
il nino is infamous around these partsil nino is infamous around these parts
I was in the same position as you. I had an 08 TT and put in Bilsteins, AWE exhaust, GT3 sways, GIAC software and still felt like something was missing. I drove an 08 GT3RS and was in love with everything but missed the turbo acceleration and then I had the opportunity to drive and buy an 08 GT2 and it was the best of both worlds. The connected feel of the GT3 and the acceleration of the turbo.
My GT2 is pure stock so I think that my GIAC and modified exhaust TT was actually faster but the feel of the suspension, the balance of the two wheel drive etc. makes it nearly perfect. I have had it for a year and am only now considering doing a GIAC software upgrade. My AWE exhaust had a drone in it so I don't think that I would do an exhaust. I actually think that the stock GT2 exhaust sounds pretty good the way it is.