Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 RS 4.0 vs. GT3/RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 AM
jealva is infamous around these parts
GT3 RS 4.0 vs. GT3/RS

Has anyone moved from a GT3 or GT3 RS to a GT3 RS 4.0? I'd like to get an opinion on whether it's worth trading my current GT3 for the GT3 RS 4.0. I get to the track 4-5 times per year but also use my car as a street vehicle, although not as a daily driver.

Is the 4.0 worth the price differential of the additional $50-75K? Is it driveable on the street or is it predominantly for the track?

My other option is a 458 Italia or an MP4-12C. Would appreciate any comparison or thoughts on those as well

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:59 AM
LAMMMMMBBOOOO is infamous around these parts
get a 458

Old 02-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jealva
Has anyone moved from a GT3 or GT3 RS to a GT3 RS 4.0? I'd like to get an opinion on whether it's worth trading my current GT3 for the GT3 RS 4.0. I get to the track 4-5 times per year but also use my car as a street vehicle, although not as a daily driver.

Is the 4.0 worth the price differential of the additional $50-75K? Is it driveable on the street or is it predominantly for the track?

My other option is a 458 Italia or an MP4-12C. Would appreciate any comparison or thoughts on those as well

Thanks.
Maybe, just maybe, the GT3RS 4.0 will achieve collectors status at some point in the near future. 964RS America's have been on the rise and the 993TurboS also seems to be holding it's value very well along with the Carrera GT. If you like your GT3RS the 4 liter can only be better.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 PM
LFC911Kop2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Maybe, just maybe, the GT3RS 4.0 will achieve collectors status at some point in the near future. 964RS America's have been on the rise and the 993TurboS also seems to be holding it's value very well along with the Carrera GT. If you like your GT3RS the 4 liter can only be better.
I have my 2011 GT3RS and a 2010 turbo. I've just driven the new GTRS 4.0. Fabulous car; definitely differences sone slight some not. I have the means to get the 4.0 but I am not convinced it is worth it. My RS is stable raw, emotional and superior to most other super cars. Yes they may become more of a collectors edition but there is big jump in price and just not sure you will use the subtle differences unless you track it frequently. The steering is precise the confidence from being strapped in the ****pit of either the 3.8 or the 4.0 is indescribable! There are a few on the lots in so cal. The colour on my 11 3.8 is a perfect colour for me and I am not sure about the white ones. . I love the whine of both cars. Hitting those high revs provides beautiful music! Now that my gt3rs is broken in, the sound is even better than new. I drive it daily but what an exhilarating feeling. Totally intoxicating and addicting! At times there can be no words! The cars are so well engineered. Truly these cars are in a different class

Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
3.8 RS in 2-3 years will be just an exceptional buy

Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 AM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Curious, I am wondering how often you drive your turbo. Any new insights now that you've had both for a while? Seems you are the perfect person to ask if the turbo is 'boring' as a few others have mentioned - those that traded their turbos in on GT3's, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by LFC911Kop2
I have my 2011 GT3RS and a 2010 turbo. I've just driven the new GTRS 4.0. Fabulous car; definitely differences sone slight some not. I have the means to get the 4.0 but I am not convinced it is worth it. My RS is stable raw, emotional and superior to most other super cars. Yes they may become more of a collectors edition but there is big jump in price and just not sure you will use the subtle differences unless you track it frequently. The steering is precise the confidence from being strapped in the ****pit of either the 3.8 or the 4.0 is indescribable! There are a few on the lots in so cal. The colour on my 11 3.8 is a perfect colour for me and I am not sure about the white ones. . I love the whine of both cars. Hitting those high revs provides beautiful music! Now that my gt3rs is broken in, the sound is even better than new. I drive it daily but what an exhilarating feeling. Totally intoxicating and addicting! At times there can be no words! The cars are so well engineered. Truly these cars are in a different class

Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
Have a friend that came from a 997.1GT3 to a 4.0. Whole different car. The regular 997 GT3 never really appealed to me, the 4.0 is an exclusive car and also the performance is amazing compared to the 997.1GT3, but I don't see the point in having those cars if you don't track it. The 4.0 I can understand as is a low production exclusive car.
He's roughly 2 seconds faster than my car at Sebring. Driver skills being pretty close.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:51 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
those who understands RS4.0 will just buy it.
after about a dozen of every GT3 variant in USA, 4.0 is the one to have.
next would be 3.8RS, 3.8gt3, then 996gt3.
others... well.... not as good.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 PM
LFC911Kop2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 997xpress
Curious, I am wondering how often you drive your turbo. Any new insights now that you've had both for a while? Seems you are the perfect person to ask if the turbo is 'boring' as a few others have mentioned - those that traded their turbos in on GT3's, etc.

Thanks in advance.
I drive my turbo quite a bit. It is definitely a different drive compared to the GT3RS. I too have read that some people find a turbo boring but maybe they are referring to a turbo without PDK. I've had a lot of Porsches over the years including turbos but the power and acceleration with the PDK is simply stunning. I believe Car and Driver clocked it at close to 2.9 at 0-60. I am a true Porsche addict and I get different fixes from both the RS and the turbo. I track and also daily drive the RS to a degree. I feel totally involved with the RS. I think with all GT3 cars, you step out of it after driving feeling both a bit drained and yet pumped up. The turbo gives you a feeling of confidence that it will do what you tell it to do instantaneously. The AWD setup is much more improved over previous turbos. There isnt the turbo lag of old. In fact, "What turbo lag?" The turbo Launch Control is not practical but sensational to experience. Just adjust the settings and it catapults you off like an F-15. Some people don't like the quietness of the twin turbos (it makes more of a whoosh sound) but I actually like it. That being said, nothing compares to the the sound of the GT3 cars. At the end of the day, I can't get enough of the turbo or the GT3RS! If I had to make a choice... Well that's easy! Rennsport of course!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:04 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
depends how u see it. i agree with some that the 4.0 is the one to have. however, under the condition that if:

1. money is no issue.
2. if u don't currently have a .2 GT3 or RS.
3. u plan to own it forever or at least when it reaches the collectable status.

other than that i don't think it's the smart move. i also suspect that the difference for u in price would be 90 ~ 110k when u factor the tax in. i'm coming from mk1 GT3 to mk1 RS to mk2 RS to 4.0. the price difference in performance is questionable.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:26 PM
gtdoggie is infamous around these parts
Went from a 997.1 gt3 to 997.2 RS and finally sold the 3.8RS which I did love for the 4.0 RS. Having come from a 73 911s which was my daily driver for 18 years when I was younger I was thrilled to reconnect with the visceral feel in these gt cars. The 997.1 was great, the 997.2 RS was fantastic and close to perfection, but as I have said in other threads that the 4.0 RS is truly a special car that to me IS perfection! I also sweated about the $$ for the upgrade for a long time, but when you love these cars like many of us do it can be hard to be objective re whether or not the extra $$ is worth it. To me it absolutely was and I work hard for my $$. I have blown money on stupider things. Like Mooty says "the 4.0 RS will be the one to have." The ones that bought it appreciate this, and for this reason I don't think there will be many easily available in the future. I do plan to keep it for a long time, enjoy it and,who knows, years down the line we may look at it's current price and feel it was a bargain. I think it will fare better than virtually all the other expensive current supercars that are seeing significant price drops. The reasons for this have been covered in other threads.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
ive seen it at the track in action and its worth the price diff to me. imo

Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 AM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by LFC911Kop2
I drive my turbo quite a bit. It is definitely a different drive compared to the GT3RS. I too have read that some people find a turbo boring but maybe they are referring to a turbo without PDK. I've had a lot of Porsches over the years including turbos but the power and acceleration with the PDK is simply stunning. I believe Car and Driver clocked it at close to 2.9 at 0-60. I am a true Porsche addict and I get different fixes from both the RS and the turbo. I track and also daily drive the RS to a degree. I feel totally involved with the RS. I think with all GT3 cars, you step out of it after driving feeling both a bit drained and yet pumped up. The turbo gives you a feeling of confidence that it will do what you tell it to do instantaneously. The AWD setup is much more improved over previous turbos. There isnt the turbo lag of old. In fact, "What turbo lag?" The turbo Launch Control is not practical but sensational to experience. Just adjust the settings and it catapults you off like an F-15. Some people don't like the quietness of the twin turbos (it makes more of a whoosh sound) but I actually like it. That being said, nothing compares to the the sound of the GT3 cars. At the end of the day, I can't get enough of the turbo or the GT3RS! If I had to make a choice... Well that's easy! Rennsport of course!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Banned
ironchef1369 is infamous around these partsironchef1369 is infamous around these partsironchef1369 is infamous around these partsironchef1369 is infamous around these partsironchef1369 is infamous around these partsironchef1369 is infamous around these partsironchef1369 is infamous around these parts
the RS doesn't have canards! and everyone knows the extra downforce is worth it

Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ironchef1369
the RS doesn't have canards! and everyone knows the extra downforce is worth it
yep and definitely worth an extra 60-70k for the canards.....
Money no problem 4.0 is what you need - the best of the 997 variants
difference from a 3.8 to 4.0, more exclusive and a slightly better car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS 4.0 vs. GT3/RS