Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 -> No manual Transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:34 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
No one would want to add a whole second clutch and electronics to save milliseconds on a shift. The weight penalty would be far worse than any benefit unless they taylor made the rules to suit it. Besides, sounds like pure speculation.

Dual clutch adds weight, cost of labor, cost and number of parts. And essentially has no benefit over an F1 style transmission as found in the Ferrari's (430, 458 etc.). This would be a much more suitable style gearbox for a GT3.

If that's the sequential they were using, I could live with it. PDK. No thanks. Not in a GT3.
I agree that the additional weight may not offset the advantage of decreased shifting time, but it is up to the priorities of each manufacturer (Nissan GT-R, Porsche Turbo S, Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari 458 are examples of this).
I also don't disagree that an automated single clutch would be beneficial for track purposes (LF-A type), but for daily driving, transmissions like in the Maseratis (previous gens, I haven't driven the new version yet) seem clunky for me (odd coming from a guy who dailys the clunkiest DCT Nissan ever released). BIG reason the wife and I didn't pull triggers on both cars that we agreed on for purchase, the R8 (R-tronic) and Maserati GT. BUT - that means that Porsche would have to design one. The PDK has already been engineered and tested in thousands of road cars. I think they've perfected their intentions for it (as of now).

I also think that the cost issue you mention will work itself out (like everything else) when these parts are around longer and longer, and shops/dealers get more comfortable working on them (or as they are better engineered with long term maintenance in mind).

Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
The new Cup and RSR will still have the Mezger engine per interview of Wolfgang Hatz with Chris Harris.

This would of course mean that the GT3 would have to have them too for racing. Which would also almost certainly mean there will be a manual on the Mezger as we have not seen any Mezger PDK combinations.

This pretty much puts an end to no manual speculation, and actually does the opposite for PDK unless they plan to offer two motors.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
The new Cup and RSR will still have the Mezger engine per interview of Wolfgang Hatz with Chris Harris.

This would of course mean that the GT3 would have to have them too for racing. Which would also almost certainly mean there will be a manual on the Mezger as we have not seen any Mezger PDK combinations.

This pretty much puts an end to no manual speculation, and actually does the opposite for PDK unless they plan to offer two motors.
Do they not have faith in the new engine?

Obviously the older engine is good, but it's like putting an LS1 in the C7.

For racing, this makes sense. I think too much R&D, etc... went into that engine to just do away with it.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to chime in late on a old thread, but I'm thinking of selling my 996TT stick infavor of PDK car. I know on the 997.2TT they gave up the Mezger engine to use the PDK. Does this mean the 991 GT3 (and GT2 if they make one) will also no longer have the split case motor.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:33 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Sorry to chime in late on a old thread, but I'm thinking of selling my 996TT stick infavor of PDK car. I know on the 997.2TT they gave up the Mezger engine to use the PDK. Does this mean the 991 GT3 (and GT2 if they make one) will also no longer have the split case motor.
PCNA will be selling to the public what PMNA won't race.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Lkn4adl is infamous around these parts
I agree that no PDK would make the 997s hold their value -... Although there are other factors that may make that statement hold true ... Only my opinion

Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
supersport is infamous around these parts
I currently have a BMW with and smg and Turbo with tip. They are nowhere as fun to drive as my last manual car. I'm actually waiting to see if the 991 gt3 has manual before i plump down the $5k to be on this pre-order list. if it doesnt then a 997 gt3rs is not a bad option at all.