Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 -> No manual Transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:03 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
991 GT3 -> No manual Transmission?

i opened a thread a few months ago, some of you may remember it:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-no-pdk-7.html

Now Inside Line suggests the opposite:
The next 911 GT3 will be PDK only, acc. to other sources a special race-tuned PDK-S version.

http://www.insideline.com/porsche/91...rbox-only.html

"Porsche is evaluating a PDK gearbox for the next-generation GT3, due next year. August Achleitner, the 911 project chief, confirmed that Porsche's motorsport division is currently testing both manual and PDK versions of the new GT3. Only one transmission will ultimately be offered for sale, and Achleitner reckons the PDK is the favorite to get the nod. Stick-shift 911s currently account for just 30 percent of sales. "When we launched the 911 Turbo S, we did not offer a manual, but we have not had a single complaint," Achleitner told Inside Line. A PDK-equipped GT3 would be the next logical step.
Achleitner also confirmed that the next-generation GT3 and GT2 will definitely feature a variant of the electromechanical steering system introduced on the new Carrera. He defended the system, which has been criticized for offering less driver feedback than a traditional hydraulic setup. "The new system only removes the feedback you don't need," he said. "All our race drivers prefer it."

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 02-14-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:32 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
I punt

Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
If the gt3 gets PDK only they will get some very angry letters.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:04 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Blasphemy!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
At least they should make it an option...

Certainly it will make the average driver look like a pro... extremely fast shifting, no shifting errors, perfect rev matching during downshift so no need for heel/toe technique knowledge, etc etc...

time will tell...

Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
inconceivable. The car is meant to be a blend of street and track. I suppose it would be a consideration if it were 100% track and I were a pro racer only caring about winning rather than the experience of driving.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
While talking with the owner of my local dealership, he told me he thought no manual on GT as well. This would remind me of when BMW didn't offer a manual in the M5 and basically was "forced" into doing so by North American buyers. I hope Porsche isn't so dumb as to make the same mistake BMW did. The problem is, everyone thinks they can do what Ferrari does and ram stuff down your throat and you have to like it. Truth is, only Ferrari can get away with that and everyone else has to feed it to us gently...

Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Gently? We've heard about it for a few years. Gently is over. I think they are now ramping up.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:09 AM
jshnyc is infamous around these partsjshnyc is infamous around these parts
If this is true, we are running out of options. Looks like I am going to have to stay under 2010 if I want to drive an real sports/exotic car pretty soon. I think eventually manual transmissions will make their way back but it may take a few years.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
that will be the final nail in the coffin for the GT3 if this is the case....

Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 AM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing
that will be the final nail in the coffin for the GT3 if this is the case....
i agree, this couldnt be more true.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lopro
i agree, this couldnt be more true.

i would put it this way: it would be the final nail in the coffin for heel/toe action but also a new chapter for amazing new Ring Records (GT3 RS, GT2 etc.).

Old 02-14-2012, 08:50 AM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
If this is the case then im moving on - or buying a pre 2012car

this is my post from the other thread - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sort-joke.html

When I see it I will beleave it, That is not even a gt3 in the picture. just another speculation

Its a great post, nice read and interesting info but I highly doubt the 6 speed gear box is dead. Maybe oneday but Im sure it will not be this soon. Just does not make sense. Everyone seems more than pleased with the current model gt3 and they only came in manual, Id be more than sure to think porsche would first try to faise the pdk into gt3 with it being an option alongside the manual before making it the only avalible gearbox. This just does not add up. I think many people will be disappointed if this truly is the new way of porsche and the gt3

just my opinion,

Last edited by lopro; 02-14-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by lopro
If this is the case then im moving on - or buying a pre 2012car

this is my post from the other thread - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sort-joke.html

When I see it I will beleave it, That is not even a gt3 in the picture. just another speculation

Its a great post, nice read and interesting info but I highly doubt the 6 speed gear box is dead. Maybe oneday but Im sure it will not be this soon. Just does not make sense. Everyone seems more than pleased with the current model gt3 and they only came in manual, Id be more than sure to think porsche would first try to faise the pdk into gt3 with it being an option alongside the manual before making it the only avalible gearbox. This just does not add up. I think many people will be disappointed if this truly is the new way of porsche and the gt3

just my opinion,
agreed, i can`t see why they are investing fresh money to develop a new 7-speed and don`t spread it across the range including the next GT3, which has always been a manual-only car.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:31 AM
PBR ME is infamous around these partsPBR ME is infamous around these parts
I believe it could happen, as Porsche is VERY forward on the new Cafe restrictions... a PDK would only be tested in the auto mode, and would get stellar mileage in those tests....

Im on the fence, as I have a 11 3RS, and a 12 C4GTS PDK.... both are awesome in their own rights... The value of my 11 3RS would certainly stay a LOT firmer if the new car came as a PDK....
Ive raced both manual and (true)sequential race cars, and while the real sequential is NOT PDK, the most fun Ive ever had racing was in a sequential car.

It will be interesting to see if motorsport overrules NA in this round!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 -> No manual Transmission?