Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Rev the engine in neutral but won't past 5K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 AM
HKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to all
Rev the engine in neutral but won't past 5K

Anyone have this experience?

Mine is 997.2 3.8 GT3 RS. with GMG center cross pipe.

It run fine and strong in all gears. But I just notice this in parking lot:

- When it is in neutral ( engine cold & engine hot ), I try to rev it over 5K just want to hear the exhaust note, but it won't go over 5K

_ I never notice this with OEM center muffler.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Davo67 is infamous around these parts
Talk about mechanical sympathy

Why the hell would you want to rev it over 5k with the engine cold anyway

Old 03-16-2012, 08:28 PM
HKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Davo67
Talk about mechanical sympathy

Why the hell would you want to rev it over 5k with the engine cold anyway
No, no when it's hot not cold.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:34 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
did you just have some other problem with that car, I think you had another post not long ago..??? was this your car that has a clutch problem or a starter issue? Or I remember someone with a ECU problem?

my memory is terrible, maybe I am mestaken you for another car

Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
that's not a problem, just a safe feature. All cars have speed sensor, so of course it will rev normally while running. Nothing to do with the exhaust of course.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
that's not a problem, just a safe feature. All cars have speed sensor, so of course it will rev normally while running. Nothing to do with the exhaust of course.
I just found out, if I put it in 1st gear, it will rev. over 5K no problem. But not in netural.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by lopro
did you just have some other problem with that car, I think you had another post not long ago..??? was this your car that has a clutch problem or a starter issue? Or I remember someone with a ECU problem?

my memory is terrible, maybe I am mestaken you for another car
I don't have starter or clutch problem, it was a factory recall.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
oh now I remember. Ya my mestake.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 AM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
why in god's name would you want to rev a car over 5K RPms in neutral?.....forsrs.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Qs997Turbo is infamous around these parts
It should rev all the way up in neutral; probably an ecu error....

Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 PM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
I don't think that it should be able to rev al the way up in neutral. It's probably a safety feature to save the motor from clueless owners.

Why in the world would you need to rev your motor past 5k in neutral. That's not good for the motor.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Why in the world would you need to rev your motor past 5k in neutral. That's not good for the motor.
He said why. It won't hurt it at all. The car is designed to rev and most people here shift well above 5,000 rpm. There's no beneficial reason to do it, but it won't hurt a thing. Don't do it cold but warmed up, no issue at all.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 PM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by denversteve
He said why. It won't hurt it at all. The car is designed to rev and most people here shift well above 5,000 rpm. There's no beneficial reason to do it, but it won't hurt a thing. Don't do it cold but warmed up, no issue at all.
I would tend to think that a load dampens the internals of an engine. Revving an engine in neutral places no load on the motor, therefore no dampening. I'm not an engineer, but from the old school where we were taught not to make it a practice to rev the engine for the fun of it.There is nothing to gain but engine wear and looking like, well..... whatever.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:17 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by denversteve
are you serious?... Load vs. non-load RPMS at/near redline are two completely different animals... If you think its ok or "won't hurt a thing," then go out to your car and free rev it to redline in neutral. You better be hoping your motor was perfectly put together and balanced.... LOL.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
are you serious?... Load vs. non-load RPMS at/near redline are two completely different animals... If you think its ok or "won't hurt a thing," then go out to your car and free rev it to redline in neutral. You better be hoping your motor was perfectly put together and balanced.... LOL.
Pay attention. You'll see that I see no reason to do this. However, 5,000 is neither near nor at redline. These engine's are raced regularly and can handle being revved to 5,000 without incident. This is not a sustained rpm, he's saying he revved the car for goodness sake.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev the engine in neutral but won't past 5K