Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

SoCal GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 PM
fuzy24 is infamous around these parts
SoCal GT3?

Guys wanted to poll the SoCal audience on a GT3 purchase. I moved here from Atlanta recently and could never swing a GT3 due to the TERRIBLE roads and steep clearances all over the city. What are your thoughts on Los Angeles area?

I'd prefer to go 2007/2008 MY as it's cheaper and this will purely be a weekend toy...however those dont have the option of a factory nose lift kit. Do i really need the nose lift in the Los Angeles area? Obviously I can purchase the Techart kit or a factory retro fit, but the appeal of a 5-10k outlay, AFTER buying the car is a deal killer.

Thanks in advance and kudos to those that moved out here sooner than I did, its awesome here.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
If you don't mind scraping your front spoiler and upsetting other driver's when you slow down for every dip in the road, then go for it. If you never plan on tracking it, then get a turbo or a GTS.

If you plan on doing some events, and don't use it for daily activities, then jump on one.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 PM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
The lower spoiler lip is an easy to replace and a very low cost consummable. 2 minutes at most to replace.

You can probably buy around 20 before you match the initial 5k outlay.

In the time I've had the 3, I've replaced the lip probably 8 times. No biggie...

I don't see the need for the extra cost, weight penalty, slow actuation, and complexity of the lift kits.

Nothing drives like a GT3/RS.

Last edited by muifast; 04-11-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 PM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
The bad news is yes, it will scrape almost everywhere. The good news is the part that scrapes is really a $200. consumable and is easily replaced. It was a concern to me when I was looking for mine. After 10 months of ownership I would say it's not so much anymore. I think if it was my DD, the nose lift would be a must have.

You will read here and on Rennlist just how special these cars are. It's an understatement. They're even better Best of luck in your search.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Doc_Porsche is infamous around these partsDoc_Porsche is infamous around these parts
I say its a must. I.have the nose kit and still hit things....... Cant imagine how many more things I would hit without it.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 AM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
Driving a GT3 in LA, you WILL scrape. That being said, I'd still do it. As mentioned above, the lip is relatively cheap to replace, and worth it IMO. The bigger concern for most people is driving a manual in traffic, which is another "wonderful" part of living in LA. I just re-read your post and noticed that you said it would only be a weekend toy. I will warn you however, that living in LA you have a plethora of great driving roads at your immediate disposal, you may end up wanting to DD the GT3. Just something to consider because that's what I would do.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:14 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
I moved here from Philly about 7 years ago. The roads in LA are worse than the roads were in Philly, and we have no winter...

Potholes everywhere... I'd be hesitant to drive here with wheels any larger than 18".

Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Bobby G is infamous around these parts
I am in the "get a new lip when you need one" camp. Sure, you will scrape, and it is very annoying and unnerving when it happens. On the other hand, the axle lift isn't cheap and you'd have to add it to a 2007 or 2008, and it adds weight to the car (which may be an issue for you if you want a lighter set up).

I'm sure if my car had the axle lift, I would laud its effectiveness, but to hear some folks who have it say that they STILL scrape with it was enough for me to conclude that it's not a full-proof solution.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Davidham is infamous around these parts
Can you say crab?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
none sense.
LA roads are just find. you can drop the car another 1" and drive everywhere. if you are fearful of some scraping then GT3 is the wrong car for u.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:21 PM
FooFighterRS4 is infamous around these parts
I had a mk.1 with no lift. The car was lowered and it scraped just about every driveway and freeway exit. It didn't bother me. I had an extra cup lip (even lower than oem) in storage for events like cars and coffee. Like the other posts have said it's an easy and cheap fix. I have a mk.2 with the front lift. I don't use it much because it's quirky/doesn't work well. It takes some effort to get it to lower. Bottomline is the car will scrape with or without it. Try not to let it bother you. The car is fantastic and LA is a great place to enjoy it.

Last edited by FooFighterRS4; 04-16-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned
Kormaster has a spectacular aura aboutKormaster has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by FooFighterRS4
I had a mk.1 with no lift. The car was lowered and it scraped just about every driveway and freeway exit. It didn't bother me. I had an extra cup lip (even lower than oem) in storage for events like cars and coffee. Like the other posts have said it's an easy and cheap fix. I have a mk.2 with the front lift. I don't use it much because it's quirky/doesn't work well. It takes some effort to get it to lower. Bottomline is the car will scrape with or without it. Try not to let it bother you. The car is fantastic and LA is a great place to enjoy it.

I got used to driving lowered cars in socal. As much techniques and tricks I had to avoid scraping, you still will. I tried my best avoid certain areas due to steep angle or big bumps... yes it is inconvinient at times but for 90% of the time, it is ok... you are just scraping the plastic, but any suspension parts

Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I find the scraping to not be that big a deal. Already on spoiler number two and plan on getting one every six months whether I need one or not.

Get the car and don't look back.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 PM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ScooterP
Get the car and don't look back.
I wish I had done this a long time ago! +100

Old 04-16-2012, 04:45 PM
tightie is infamous around these parts
Do it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SoCal GT3?