Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

2011 GT3 997.2 Roof Rack Solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Atrytone is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KK Moto
Would someone with a 7.2 GT3 Please pull off one of the strips to see if Porsche actually kept the mounting bolts and simply covered them up? I have pondered this myself and it has actually been a deal breaker acquiring the newer GT3.

And these strips go off and on very easily. Just a little pressure up and a little pressure back down.
After checking my car and having GMG check the mounting bolts are not present under the roof rail like they are on the other 911 models. So if you still wanted to pursue the OEM roof rack solution you would have to modify the frame underneath the rail. I am sure it can be done properly but the cost will go up and of course you need to use someone you trust to get it done.

I wouldn't use that as a deal breaker in the decision to get this model, like I posted above the sea sucker will be a get solution plus the additional benefit of easy removal. Assuming of course you are just intending carrying a bike/surfboard.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:45 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Atrytone
After checking my car and having GMG check the mounting bolts are not present under the roof rail like they are on the other 911 models. So if you still wanted to pursue the OEM roof rack solution you would have to modify the frame underneath the rail. I am sure it can be done properly but the cost will go up and of course you need to use someone you trust to get it done.

I wouldn't use that as a deal breaker in the decision to get this model, like I posted above the sea sucker will be a get solution plus the additional benefit of easy removal. Assuming of course you are just intending carrying a bike/surfboard.
That is what I expected. And thanks for checking, by the way. Always wondered.

I've not seen the suction cup mount before but am very skeptical, even if one's been used on track at 100mph. I've been over that with bikes on my car and have enough to think about without them flying off. Suction cup for my GoPro = no problem.... Bikes = er, no.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:36 PM
cgfen is infamous around these parts
OP, (or anyone), did you ever definitively confirm that there are no mounting lugs located under the trim strip?

cheers

Craig