Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

2011 GT3 997.2 Roof Rack Solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Atrytone is infamous around these parts
2011 GT3 997.2 Roof Rack Solution?

As some of you may or may not know Porsche stopped putting the roof rack holes on the roofs of 997.2 GT3's after 2010.

I would still love to transport my bike with my car. I know that it is a purpose built car but still, it is my daily driver. Does anyone have any suggestions or seen after market solutions to attach a roof rack capable of mounting a bike to?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned
Kormaster has a spectacular aura aboutKormaster has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Atrytone
As some of you may or may not know Porsche stopped putting the roof rack holes on the roofs of 997.2 GT3's after 2010.

I would still love to transport my bike with my car. I know that it is a purpose built car but still, it is my daily driver. Does anyone have any suggestions or seen after market solutions to attach a roof rack capable of mounting a bike to?

Thanks in advance.
what kind of bike? Road bike? you can technically take the front and rear wheels off and cram the frame in the back (assuming you have no roll cage) and put the wheels in the pass seat. Problem with most roof rack feet system like Thule is it clamps around the edge of the roof and door area.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't seen one as my hardtop won't accommodate a rack without drilling it. There are systems I've seen that go onto the rear of the car. Will Wood has made racks for Porsches for years. Try him - http://www.willwoodsystem.com/bicycle%20carrier.htm

Old 07-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Unfortunately it is a mountain bike. And it probably would fit inside with the wheels off. That would be a hassle and dirty, wouldn't want to risk mucking up the interior.

I didn't know that there is a Thule application via clamps that might work. The clamps might not be bad for the occasional excursion.

Thanks for the willwoodsystem link, that might work. I will check it out.

Would anyone happen to know if the two strips on the roof come off? Seems to me the roof rack mount holes should be under that strip as it is the same body as other models that have it. Maybe I could replace those two strips with ones from another car.

Thanks for your responses.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !

Would anyone happen to know if the two strips on the roof come off? Seems to me the roof rack mount holes should be under that strip as it is the same body as other models that have it. Maybe I could replace those two strips with ones from another car.

Thanks for your responses.

I have done some digging into this. It appears to be 100% possible, as the only difference is the covering strips. Porsche covered them up, evidently in an effort to save weight, aerodynamic drag, and costs in one fell swoop. They were instituted on all RS models, but, as you have stated, only on the GT3 from 2010 onward.

You will need the following components to make the swap happen.

1X left strip - 99755940100G2X
1X right strip - 99755940200G2X
1X left strip rubber seal - 99755972101
1X right strip rubber seal - 99755972201
4X flip cover retainer - 99655972900
2X front flip cover - 99655950100G2X
2X rear flip cover - 99655950300G2X
10X strip retaining clips - 99655940301
1X 996/997 Roof Transport System - 99680110500
1X Porsche RTS Bicycle Rack - 95504400266

For the sake of convenience, I have assembled a basket of all of these items for you. For more information, CLICK HERE!

Keep in mind, of course, that all exterior body pieces (including these strips and cover pieces) come primed and ready for paint. You will need to have them color matched to your car's exterior.

Last edited by ECS Tuning - Porsche; 07-10-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Thumbs up

Wow, thanks man for doing that work! I knew there had to be a solution, albeit an expensive one. Guess I have one question before pulling the trigger. Assuming I replace those parts, I hope there is no difference in the frame underneath. Like missing mounting holes or something.

Cheers!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Wow, thanks man for doing that work! I knew there had to be a solution, albeit an expensive one. Guess I have one question before pulling the trigger. Assuming I replace those parts, I hope there is no difference in the frame underneath. Like missing mounting holes or something.

Cheers!

Thus far, I have no reason to believe Porsche would have changed the underlying mounting points, but without a 2010+ GT3 here to test that theory, it's all purely academic.

If you are careful, you should be able to remove your existing strips without breaking any of the hold down clips. This would tell you whether or not the mount points are there.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 AM
If you are careful, you should be able to remove your existing strips without breaking any of the hold down clips. This would tell you whether or not the mount points are there.
Yes that seems feasible. Though what am I looking for? Holes in the frame?

Thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Former Vendor
Yes that seems feasible. Though what am I looking for? Holes in the frame?

Thanks
I will post a photograph of what a car with the holes for the roof rack looks like. I should be able to make this happen this morning.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Former Vendor
Alright, here is a little helpful information, and should help you determine whether or not you have mounts for a roof rack. If you do take your cover strips off of the car, please photograph it as best you can, as I would like to see what it looks like under there as well.

Here's what the rear looks like.

This is the front. (These should also give you an idea of the exact location of the mount points).

And here is what it looks like inside.

Last edited by ECS Tuning - Porsche; 07-11-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Very nice, thank you for doing that. I am a little nervous about taking the strips off for fear of not being able to put them on again. But I will poke around this evening and if I get anywhere I will post pictures.

Cheers

Old 07-11-2012, 11:34 AM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
If you mount a roof rack, be sure the bike is VERY securely attached to it. With the stiff suspension on the GT3, it will be bounced and jostled a lot over bumpy roads, and cargo on the roof rack can be shaken loose. I've seen it happen.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 PM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
I have one of the SeaSucker racks that I have used on multiple vehicles. A friend of mine drove from Houston to Boulder in Colorado and back with her mountain bike on one of these with no issues.

Check them out: http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/

There is a video out there with a bike mounted on a Nascar driving over 100mph on the track.

Just an idea, they are non-invasive and are easy to put on and take off.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:03 PM
I have one of the SeaSucker racks that I have used on multiple vehicles.

Simply awesome. I didn't know that they made them. Not sure why it didn't occur to me as I use those type of suction mounts to mount cameras to my car in the past on the race track.

Thanks for the link.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:16 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Would someone with a 7.2 GT3 Please pull off one of the strips to see if Porsche actually kept the mounting bolts and simply covered them up? I have pondered this myself and it has actually been a deal breaker acquiring the newer GT3.

And these strips go off and on very easily. Just a little pressure up and a little pressure back down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 GT3 997.2 Roof Rack Solution?