Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Motor Stalls at third gear Redline.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 PM
996GT3TC is infamous around these parts996GT3TC is infamous around these parts
Motor Stalls at third gear Redline.

Hi Everyone, I have a rather strange occurance happening lately on my 996 gt3.

It first happened a week ago, all I did was run my car as hard as possible for the first 3 gears up until redline. Once third gear redline hits the car immediately shuts off, or more specifically the motor shuts off and all the lights shine up on the dash. Literally the motor shuts down. Only occurs on third gear. I can redline my car all day on first and second and the only thing that happens is the excitement and adrenaline I feel from that beautiful sound.

The only mod is EVOMS ECU. The only other thing that the car needs is an idler pulley installed since that pulley on the car s squealing rather loud and may effect my idle as it seems to flutter after being warmed up. Other than that the gt3 is a dream to drive and as raw as it gets.

Any Suggestions for my problem or anyone else experience these two situations?
Any information would be amazing.

Thank you so much guys for reading and i do hope to hear from someone soon.

Tom

Old 07-22-2012, 02:04 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Is the car shutting off when you hit redline or after you push in the clutch after it hits redline?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Yes I believe it does stall once I push the clutch in to shift into 4th. I keep trying to visualize it and I'm pretty sure I reach past 8000rpm and then it would stall.

Is there a difference?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Okay. I guess I get to be the one to ask. Are you looking for problems or just thrashing your car for the fun of it? The easy answer is - if it only does it when you are redlining it - don't do that.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm simply trying to drive my car properly on track days. I think all gt3 owners should know that the best way to extract as much power as possible is to drive the car to it's limit. What's the point of owning a gt3 when you can't redline one of its best gears. Any suggestions from anyone why this could be happening would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:55 AM
Number54 is infamous around these parts
Any ECU experts?

RPM at redline + throttle + clutch-in = cut fuel?

Just guessing.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
I'm confused? It's dying on your shift to 4th? does it come back as soon as you engage 4th?

Are you simply running up to redline in 3rd pushing in the clutch and letting it coast and the revs drop back down to idle?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:24 AM
996flt6 is infamous around these parts
Can evoms ecu be removed/deleted. I had a unichip on my old 996. Redline at 4th gear at the track it shuts off. Mike

Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996GT3TC
I'm simply trying to drive my car properly on track days. I think all gt3 owners should know that the best way to extract as much power as possible is to drive the car to it's limit.
Actually that's not correct. On every GT3 dyno result I've ever seen, the HP peaks between 7,500 and 7,800 rpm (and every one dropped off prior to redline). Thrashing your car is not doing anything but .... thrashing your car. If you want to "drive your car properly on track days" you might want to start by learning to drive your properly.

Last edited by denversteve; 07-25-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 AM
lp997 is infamous around these parts
Does this only happen at the track when you are pulling G's or on street and track when going to redline in third?

Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by denversteve
Actually that's not correct. On every GT3 dyno result I've ever seen, the HP peaks between 7,500 and 7,800 rpm (and every one dropped off prior to redline). Thrashing your car is not doing anything but .... thrashing your car. If you want to "drive your car properly on track days" you might want to start by learning to drive your properly.
You forget that power under the curve is more important that just the peak number and where the peak number happens.

Gear spacing on a GT3 is really horrible which is why alot of the guys will re-gear the internals to match what the cup cars came with. RPM's drop far enough on shifts that despite the fall off in power from 7800-8200 you're still better off shifting at redline becuase of where you land after the shift. With optimal gear spacing yes shift at 7600-7800, with stock gears go all the way to redline for maximum performance.

Andy

Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
... RPM's drop far enough on shifts that despite the fall off in power from 7800-8200 you're still better off shifting at redline becuase of where you land after the shift. With optimal gear spacing yes shift at 7600-7800, with stock gears go all the way to redline for maximum performance. Andy
Interesting. I'm still waiting to hear the diagnosis. Since cars don't die out unless fuel, air or electrical is disrupted, i'm curious to see what is causing the problem.