Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Close to buying my first Porsche (GT3)...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 PM
MistaVanquish is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Close to buying my first Porsche (GT3)...

I am SERIOUSLY considering buying my first Porsche 911. I've owned a lot of cars, mostly BMW M3's, and most recently, a 2012 Nissan GT-R. However, I've always wanted to feel the visceral feeling of a 911, specifically either a Turbo or a GT3. After reading countless articles online and forum threads, the general consensus seems to be that the 911 Turbo is for people that want the 'easy' way to go with a 911 super car and the GTs being the more 'involved' and 'demanding' way to go. So, after owning a GT-R, I've come to realize that while power is definitely an important factor in the overall driving experience, it is not a substitute for a 'pure' driving experience. The GT-R, in my opinion, is too perfect and shields the driver from the involvement and intimate dynamics of making the car do what it is capable of. I don't know much about the nuances of Porsche GT3's, aside from what I've read, so I'm looking for some advice before I make the leap.

I'm looking at two different GT3's and both are 2010 models with around 8,000 miles and CPO. The options are similar between the two, with the exception that one doesn't have NAV (not a big deal). One is white with black interior and the other is red with black interior. The condition on both is excellent, save for a small paint chip on the rear spoiler of the white one and an almost microscopic chip on the upper left windshield of the red one. I plan to keep the car for no more than 2 years and my preference is to lease the car through Porsche. I've heard that the residual and money factor through Porsche for used cars is not great. They are offering 2.9% for 60 months if I finance but I'm not sure if that is the best route to go. I have my own company and I could write off the lease if I can get a decent residual/money factor.

Lastly, the asking price for both is $103K, which seems to be fair considering that KBB has them going for $110-113k on retail market.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Question

Wow! 80 views and I'm STILL left hanging! Come'on, GT3 owners, REPLY!

More info on both cars:

The Red one: Has 8900 miles and comes with PCM 3.0/NAV/Sport Exhaust

The White one: Has 6600 miles and does not have PCM 3.0/NAV Sport Exhaust

Last edited by MistaVanquish; 08-09-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:21 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
I'd pick the white one.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by JmanE55
I'd pick the white one.
Uh, ok, thanks. (I guess)

Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Old 08-09-2012, 12:24 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Have you driven the car yet? That should answer some of your questions. As far as price on both it seems reasonable but what options are on the car? Regarding leasing/buying the numbers should tell you what to do, not sure what you CPA will say about a GT3 as a company car but I'm sure you can figure that out. There are several threads on the forum comparing the GT3 vs Turbo, try perusing around here.

Me personally, I did strongly consider buying a GT3 however my plan was to keep the car for more than 2 years so I wanted something I could modify and see huge gains so I went with a Turbo

Old 08-09-2012, 12:28 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Old 08-09-2012, 04:47 PM
bottegav is infamous around these parts
in my opinion, most people might not enjoy the gt3 as a DD while most of them do with a turbo. but as far as driving experience, you could get a whole lot more feed back from the gt3. I have a .1 gt3 and i love driving it, i try to take it out as often as i go out but when it comes to traffics, parking lot curbs, its not a good idea (low ride height, stiff suspension, heavy clutch). my point is, given that you were deciding between the turbo and the gt3s, I would test drive, or at least sit in both, to get a feel.

both red and white is good. i would go for the less mileage one. good place to buy/lease a porsche from dealer because you get CPO (which is good for resale)

hope this help! I spent 10 months before i got my gt3 and I wanted a turbo before i knew anything about 911.

Last edited by bottegav; 08-09-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 PM
sraz786 is infamous around these parts
I was in the same boat last year!! I ended up buying a 997.1 TT.
However, if you talk to me on Sunday, the 997.1 TT will be gone and I will hopefully be the proud new owner of a 911 GT3 RS(trading the TT in).

I have driven both gen Turbos and all the various GT cars(except GT2). My take, if you're looking at a GT3, go for gen 2.

I also come from an M3 background, and let me tell you, the GT3 is the next natural step, not the turbo. Holy crap are the GT3's fun to drive. There is NOTHING like a RWD, N/A, lightweight car in my opinion. It is the most visceral feeling you will feel in a car. I've come to realize, power is only a small part of the general driving experience.

Turbo - woman with big ****
GT3 - ****, ***, freak, intelligence all relatively proportioned

I could never lease a soulful car like this, that's like falling in love with a prostitute.
Buy one and welcome her to your family.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
So have you driven both yet? That's the key place to start. See if they'll let you take one of the GT3 overnight so you can really get a true driving experience. Hopefully you can find a used Turbo as well to drive.

Nobody can really give you any good advice until you do that and post your likes and dislikes about each one.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 AM
The thing is, after coming from a GT-R I don't want another AWD/Turbo car. In the GT-R I felt like the car was too perfect and there is virtually no chance to make an error and learn from your mistake. Also, the GT-R has almost no SOUL! Nissan clearly went for high-tech, grip and all out power. The problem is, the car does all of this on it's own and the driver just has to 'point, shoot, and shift'.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM
BMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by sraz786
I was in the same boat last year!! I ended up buying a 997.1 TT.
However, if you talk to me on Sunday, the 997.1 TT will be gone and I will hopefully be the proud new owner of a 911 GT3 RS(trading the TT in).

I have driven both gen Turbos and all the various GT cars(except GT2). My take, if you're looking at a GT3, go for gen 2.

I also come from an M3 background, and let me tell you, the GT3 is the next natural step, not the turbo. Holy crap are the GT3's fun to drive. There is NOTHING like a RWD, N/A, lightweight car in my opinion. It is the most visceral feeling you will feel in a car. I've come to realize, power is only a small part of the general driving experience.

Turbo - woman with big ****
GT3 - ****, ***, freak, intelligence all relatively proportioned

I could never lease a soulful car like this, that's like falling in love with a prostitute.
Buy one and welcome her to your family.

I have a HUGE M3 background also and I also have had a 996TT....it took ONE drive to know that a prostitute GT3 WILL be welcomed into my home in about 18 months with pumps and all!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:25 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
I enjoy the NAV in mine. Both colors work for me, but probably the deciding factor for you.
You will love the GT3!

Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Get the Orange one with black wheels

Old 08-11-2012, 05:53 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
If you are going to the track, get the GT3. If you only drive on the street, get the turbo. Heck, might as well wait until the 991 GT3 comes out and save some coin. It's not long now.

-td

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Close to buying my first Porsche (GT3)...