Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991S or 997.2 GT3: Help me decide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 02:06 PM
C2Spin is infamous around these parts
OK, so it doesn't appear like I am wanting to get more rep point let me respond in one reply to your feedback.

BobbyG: Good points. Challenge is getting to drive a .2 GT car. Perhaps I can talk to some of my track buddies at an upcoming DE next weekend. See what kind of luck I have.

TrackCar: Awesome pics and video. Car is a beast and I mean that in the most loving way. Oh, and great driving skills too, especially on the near spin out.

DLJ: Um....uh...I think you just called me out. Thanks.

Seapar: Did PSDS too and got to drive 991S. The word I keyed in on your reply was 'thrill'.

So, where does this leave me now. Well, figure I need to go test drive these GT cars first. Looking at the usual places for the cars: Porsche Website for pre-owned; ebay; Cars.com. Some of the independent exotic dealers don't always get the best reviews so a but leery going that route although could mitigate with PPI from local Porsche dealer.

Knowing that the GT cars are in limited supply (what's available for sale and limited quantities in U.S.), what kind of movement on price should I expect? If something retails for $120 what would be a reasonable offer or discount?

Old 09-09-2012, 02:35 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
I'm biased with motive ;-) but I think that generally the only RS depreciating the next 2-3 years might be the GT2RS because they started at 260k+.

The 3.8 and 4.0 won't be replaced for at least another 2 years, perhaps longer. There is simply more demand then supply for clean low mileage cars. If you look at 20k + miles cars they are still $115k plus and low mileage ones are $130k plus. To me that is low depreciation and you get to actually drive the car. If you do that with a 991 you get to write off a LOT more..

Never mind 4.0s they will stay around 200k for a few more years.

Also, the 991RS will be faster, but will it be as pure and fun? Track dependable?
So for many that's not an option until a year or 2 after they start selling it to see it proven on track...

Old 09-09-2012, 03:58 PM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
I would highly recommend going out of your way to find a .2 GT3 and get a good test drive. Since you already seem to have some good seat time in the 991S (via PSDS), you should be able to make a qualified comparison. Based on your described wants, needs, it sounds more like a non-RS is a better fit.

I just got to drive the 991S again at the Porsche Roadshow and I will give it a lot more credit than I initially did. The steering is still a bit numb and the car as a whole felt more isolated to me but it had tremendous grip and power. For me, a used GT3 vs. a new 991S is the smarter buy and the more engaging driving experience. Both cars are great and ultimately it's you that has to decide what will be a better fit. Best of luck!

Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM
orthopod is infamous around these parts
Test drive them both

You might want to consider how much your wife/girlfriend will ride in the car with you. My fiancee becomes car sick in my GT3, unless I take it really, really, really easy..

Takes some of the fun out of the ride, but she still thinks the car is sexy.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 PM
m5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud of
Where are you located? Let me know if you are in AZ and we can work something out (not on track, just street).