Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

I finally got a ride in a GT2....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
Good to hear someone enjoy the car.

First fast car I rode in was in was about 1990 in a Skyline GTR R32 as a passenger. It was on the Goodwood circuit (an ex-GP track) and the skillful driver drifted it at over 100mph. I was a 20yr old kid, blown away with the thrill of it. If the internet had existed I would have been posting in adoration.

Luckily I subsequently was able to buy Skyline R32, R33 and R34 GTRs, so I lived my dream out.

Let your enjoyment be your driver for success.

Guy

BTW GT2s with 600+ bhp are still controllable and awesome fun......

Old 06-21-2005, 02:01 PM
NAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Bill S
Good for you! Don't mind these guy's comments. I would have written the exact same thing you did at that age. Luckily, now I can offer that experience to others. With your passion for cars, I know you will too.

BTW, new Ferraris are just as reliable and fast as new Porsches (there's always a trouble car among all brands). I think you'll find a ride in a Ferrari CS even more exciting than a GT2. At least my friends do.
Thanks Bill S... Yea I was thinking the same about Ferraris because I haven't heard much complain about their reliability... But thats what Al said, I'm still not sure about Lambos though. I have reading about the CS a lot lately and that car is a BEAST! Hopefully one day I will get to ride in a CS and I will post a write up on that to

Old 06-21-2005, 02:04 PM
NAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Guy
Let your enjoyment be your driver for success.
Thanks Guy, that is what im aiming for. Porsches, Ferraris, and other exotics, make me want to be successful when I'm older... So I could buy all the toys that I dream of now.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:44 PM
JamE55 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Mike T
The threadstarter sucked some guys **** for letting him ride around in his GT2, and now they are dating.
Omfg!!! rotflmao I'm sorry but that was just too funny and . No offense.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:51 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Excuse my ignorance but what does "rotflmao" mean?

Old 06-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Banned
toddstacky is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by LUIS95993
What is your definition of "slight step up"? I consider the 02-04 996's to be a slight step up from the 99-01 models. The GT2 on the other hand is a whole different animal than the 996 TT (nothing against the 996 TT, it will more than likely be my next Porsche) with tons of usable horsepower if you know how to handle it. I guarantee that YOU could drive a stock GT2 faster around a race track thant YOU could drive a stock 996 TT around a race track. The fact that the GT2 is 2wd is not a negative aspect of the car. A lot of drivers that take their cars on the track (for racing or just DE events) or just street cars prefer to have their rear engine 911's to be 2wd form than AWD.
You really think the average driver can drive a GT2 faster around a race track than a TT? How many track days have you been to?

Sure it should be the faster car but for 90% of the people out there the TT is easier to drive and faster for them. Also look at the acceleration times in all the magazines and you'll see that the TT is faster to 60 and in the 1/4 mile due to the AWD. I have been on the track in my TT against a GT2, neither was stock and I had no problem staying with him. And yes he is a good driver with a/m suspension and engine mods too. Bottom line is a GT2 will be a little faster in the 'right' hands. Or you can spend 50K less for the TT and put 30K of mods in and beat the GT2 and have 20K left over. Food for thought.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:22 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by toddstacky
You really think the average driver can drive a GT2 faster around a race track than a TT? How many track days have you been to?

Sure it should be the faster car but for 90% of the people out there the TT is easier to drive and faster for them. Also look at the acceleration times in all the magazines and you'll see that the TT is faster to 60 and in the 1/4 mile due to the AWD. I have been on the track in my TT against a GT2, neither was stock and I had no problem staying with him. And yes he is a good driver with a/m suspension and engine mods too. Bottom line is a GT2 will be a little faster in the 'right' hands. Or you can spend 50K less for the TT and put 30K of mods in and beat the GT2 and have 20K left over. Food for thought.
I beleive anybody with some DE experience (in a 911) can drive a stock GT2 around a track faster than a stock TT. You are making it sound like a GT2 is an impossible car to drive. All 911's (including TT's )require some driver skill to be driven around the track.
I have been to about 30+ track weekends or 60+ track days in the past 12 years FYI.
What magazines are you reading? I have never read that the TT is faster than the GT2 0-60. Sorry dude, the GT2 is not just a "little" faster in the right hands. In the right hands, it would and DOES smoke a TT on a track. (We are talking STOCK car and STOCK car) Again, I am not trying to take anything away from the TT, I have friends with TT's that would eat my fathers 02 GT2 for breakfast, but not in stock form. The TT is a great well balanced car any possibly my next P-car purchase....Its just not a GT2.

Last edited by LUISGT3; 06-21-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:32 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by LUIS95993
What is your definition of "slight step up"? I consider the 02-04 996's to be a slight step up from the 99-01 models. The GT2 on the other hand is a whole different animal than the 996 TT (nothing against the 996 TT, it will more than likely be my next Porsche) with tons of usable horsepower if you know how to handle it. I guarantee that YOU could drive a stock GT2 faster around a race track thant YOU could drive a stock 996 TT around a race track. The fact that the GT2 is 2wd is not a negative aspect of the car. A lot of drivers that take their cars on the track (for racing or just DE events) or just street cars prefer to have their rear engine 911's to be 2wd form than AWD.
My definition of "slight step up" is exactly that. A slight step up. What else would you call a 62hp increase on a less user friendly chassis. I personally call it a slight step up. You are gaining hp but not all of it is usable. At least not for me. In fact, if you gave me a chance to run both cars around a track, I would definitely be slower in the GT2. I am very conservative. I will make this perfectly clear, I don't claim to be a race car driver, nor do I claim to be a tail hanging idiot. That kind of crap just gets you in trouble. I am a happily married father of three that prefers to keep it that way while having a little bit of fun. This is the key Luis, I am not a trackmaster and I like the secure planted feel of the AWD system in the TT. I might sound like a *****, but I also prefer to have PSM on. When I drove the GT2, I felt that it was definitely not the right car for me. There is so much power on tap that the rear wheels would get out of line with the slightest provocation. A la late 80's Mustang GT. It's nice to know that you are skilled enough to utilize that power and prefer the rear wheel drive configuration, but I do not like it. To me it feels sloppy and it demands a lot of skill to drive safely. I am not the throttle control master, nor am comfortable 4 wheel drifting $175k around a corner just because that is the fastest way to do it. I would much rather prefer the planted feel of the AWD TT with PSM on. Yes, again I said PSM on. I want the car to remind me when I am at even 85% of it's limits.

So Luis, feel free to tell me how fast YOU can drive a GT2 over a TT and let us all know how your skill and car control allows you to extract the true performance potential from the car BUT, please don't assume that you can convince me that the GT2 is the faster car for ME. Like I said, I've driven it and I didn't like it. It's just like metropol blue and savannah beige. Can't stand those colors. You will never be able to make me like them.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by toddstacky
Also look at the acceleration times in all the magazines and you'll see that the TT is faster to 60 and in the 1/4 mile due to the AWD.
What magazines are you reading?? I read just about every car magazine I can find... And I have never in my life, read anything about a TT being faster than a GT2 in a straight line... In everything I have read, the GT2 signifantly beats the TT in every test, including acceleration. I have also been in both cars during heavy acceleration, and the GT2 feels MUCH faster.

Last edited by NAPO; 06-21-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:35 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Flyin-ByInA-GT2
I read just about every car magazine I can find... And I have never in my life, read anything about a TT being faster than a GT2 in a straight line... In everything I have read, the GT2 signifantly beats the TT in every test, including acceleration. I have also been in both cars during heavy acceleration, and the GT2 feels MUCH faster.
You do know that feel is a subjective factor that is multiplied many times when you are a passenger...

Old 06-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by 2thfixr
You do know that feel is a subjective factor that is multiplied many times when you are a passenger...
Yea I understand that... Me being in both cars and having an opinion, isn't proof for anything. But I was mainly stating the magazines as my source. I am only talking about straight line performance.

Last edited by NAPO; 06-21-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Yea I understand that... Me being in both cars and having an opinion, isn't proof for anything. But I was mainly stating the magazines as my source. I am only talking about straight line performance.
Don't get me wrong. Maybe I stated that the wrong way. I am not doubting that the GT2 feels faster than the TT. Once underway, the GT2 will definitely pull harder because it has less weight and has more power. However, as far as acceleration times, the GT2 is harder to launch because you will either get rear wheel hop or a crappy start compared to the TT where you get a lot of hook up with a lot less drama. That is something you can not describe until you have driven both cars. Even then, if you want to launch a GT2 hard, I can not imagine how hard you have to brutalize the drivetrain. I know that my C2 HATES hard launches, I can't imagine what 177 more horsepower would do to my clutch and tranny.

Anyways..... to make a long story short. Enjoy your dream... if that's what you aspire to. More power to you. Personally, I prefer to dream of the Enzo or the CGT. The day that I can even start thinking about that will be after my kids graduate and my retirement planning actually starts to look like it's working.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Yea I understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense... Thanks for the explanation. As for the CGT and Enzo, those are also my dreams, but I will start really dreaming about them when I have the GT2 to dream in. I much prefer the CGT, but thats a whole different story.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Wannabe
cig1 is infamous around these parts
Thanks Guy, that is what im aiming for. Porsches, Ferraris, and other exotics, make me want to be successful when I'm older... So I could buy all the toys that I dream of now.
Keep your dream alive

Just think .... last year, I was shopping for a Boxter S

What I always tell my friends who are still trying to come up ... "Ya gotta want it, first "

G

Last edited by cig1; 04-05-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Wannabe
cig1 is infamous around these parts

Last edited by cig1; 04-05-2006 at 04:49 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I finally got a ride in a GT2....