Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Steering Wheel Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM
matrog is infamous around these parts
Question Steering Wheel Options

I recently purchased a used 2010 GT3. It has a fairly thin and hard steering wheel covered in Alcantra. I don't like the feel, and I am concerned the Alcantara will get shiney over time.

It looks like this, but has a grey spokes.
Steering Wheel in Alcantara:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

I'm looking into swaping it out for a thicker black leather steering wheel.

Suncoast indicates I can get a replacement wheel like shown above but in black leather. Unfortunately, it is unknown if the rim diameter is the same as what I have (3.75") or thicker. My understanding is later GT3s got a slightly thicker wheel from the factory. Anyone know if the replacement part is 3.75" or thicker ?

I think the fatter-still GTS wheel will fit, but I'm not a fan of the aluminum-look plastic.

See:
Steering Wheel in Leather, GTS Sport:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

Anyone know if the aluminum-look plastic spokes are "modular," and can be temporarily removed to be painted (flat black) ? Or, are the spokes part of the structure of the wheel itself ?

Any other thoughts besides having my wheel recovered by a vendor ? I'd like to stay w/ an OE wheel.

I looked at a showroom 991 Carrera and Carrera S the other day. The base version has my wheel (in flat black) but is 1/4" thicker (i.e., 4.0" in diameter), and the S seems to have the GTS wheel (approximately 4.25").

The parts department can't tell me if the 991 wheels will fit on a 997.2. Anyone know for sure ?

Many thanks,
Matthew

Old 09-18-2012, 05:08 AM
HKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to allHKFEVER is a name known to all
The thinner steering wheel is for you to wear gloves

Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 AM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by matrog
I recently purchased a used 2010 GT3. It has a fairly thin and hard steering wheel covered in Alcantra. I don't like the feel, and I am concerned the Alcantara will get shiney over time.

It looks like this, but has a grey spokes.
Steering Wheel in Alcantara:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

I'm looking into swaping it out for a thicker black leather steering wheel.

Suncoast indicates I can get a replacement wheel like shown above but in black leather. Unfortunately, it is unknown if the rim diameter is the same as what I have (3.75") or thicker. My understanding is later GT3s got a slightly thicker wheel from the factory. Anyone know if the replacement part is 3.75" or thicker ?

I think the fatter-still GTS wheel will fit, but I'm not a fan of the aluminum-look plastic.

See:
Steering Wheel in Leather, GTS Sport:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

Anyone know if the aluminum-look plastic spokes are "modular," and can be temporarily removed to be painted (flat black) ? Or, are the spokes part of the structure of the wheel itself ?

Any other thoughts besides having my wheel recovered by a vendor ? I'd like to stay w/ an OE wheel.

I looked at a showroom 991 Carrera and Carrera S the other day. The base version has my wheel (in flat black) but is 1/4" thicker (i.e., 4.0" in diameter), and the S seems to have the GTS wheel (approximately 4.25").

The parts department can't tell me if the 991 wheels will fit on a 997.2. Anyone know for sure ?

Many thanks,
Matthew
I can't speak to modularity of the GTS wheel trim. As far as the 991 standard steering wheel yes it will work. I had my dealer test fit one on my 997.1 and it was plug and play with the exception of multifunciton controls, not an issue for you.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 AM
matrog is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Thanks !