Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Fikse wheel needs to be resealed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 AM
montreal red is infamous around these parts
Fikse wheel needs to be resealed

so i had a slow leak on one of my wheels for a while. losing about 3psi per day consistently.

took the rim off, sprayed soap water on it and found out that its leaking from the seal between the rim face and barrel...

took it to a wheel shop to get it fixed and they want $180 to take care of it. i already agreed to the charge but is this normal or am i getting raped big time?

oh and a nice little picture of my green RS being left in my garage ghetto style while the wheel is being fixed.... the note says "my wheel is NOT stolen" so that my neighbours dont call me in the middle of the night.

Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2012, 02:31 PM
abt cup has much to be proud ofabt cup has much to be proud ofabt cup has much to be proud ofabt cup has much to be proud ofabt cup has much to be proud ofabt cup has much to be proud ofabt cup has much to be proud ofabt cup has much to be proud of
$180 is about average if they also have to dismount your tire, mount, and balance. If not though, it's a little bit steep. most shops in the US charge somewhere between $60 - $120 to take apart a wheel, re-seal it, and put it back together. Plus mount and balance of the tire.

Make sure they use an adhesive, non-acid curing, RTV silicone.

www.independentwheel.com/install

Thatcher

Old 10-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by abt cup
$180 is about average if they also have to dismount your tire, mount, and balance. If not though, it's a little bit steep. most shops in the US charge somewhere between $60 - $120 to take apart a wheel, re-seal it, and put it back together. Plus mount and balance of the tire.

Make sure they use an adhesive, non-acid curing, RTV silicone.

www.independentwheel.com/install

Thatcher
wow thanks for that link. very helpful indeed. doesnt look too hard either. i probably would have been able to do it myself. i just didnt know what kind of sealant i need to use thats why i didnt try.

they did include re-mounting and re-balancing the tire on the rim so i guess $180 isnt all that bad.

thanks again.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:17 PM
tooth dr is infamous around these parts
Had the same issue with one of my fikse fm5 wheels on the 996tt...had it done at touchette tires, the one on st-Laurent...can't remember what I paid but it was pretty reasonable. Anyways, hasn't leaked since...

Love the RS...Montreal represent!
Dan

Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by tooth dr
Had the same issue with one of my fikse fm5 wheels on the 996tt...had it done at touchette tires, the one on st-Laurent...can't remember what I paid but it was pretty reasonable. Anyways, hasn't leaked since...

Love the RS...Montreal represent!
Dan
ahh. didnt think touchette tires would be able to take care of such a job. i brought the wheel to Exact Roues

http://www.exactwheels.com

they were the ones who quoted me the $180 price.

thanks for your help. next time i have a similar issue i will bring it to touchette.