Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Stroker Kit 3.6 to 4.0

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
Pcar flat six's smoke on start up so a little smoke on over run from the 2 piston rings isn't going to matter much and there will be a slight power boost to boot.

Is Brain saying the rod angle @84mm stroke is too large causing excess piston trust/rock so wearing the rings, ring lands and excess wear on the trust side of the piston bore?

I'm ok with 2 rings but don't want to be sticking rings or piston kits in the car to often.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Jamie_GT3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ADAMNSONS
You pick your own specs, bore X stroke.
I will inquire about the recommended Stroke for the street applications to help you with your decision. Brian said 84mm makes it tough and possibly need to go to a 2 ring piston ring configuration. This would work on a race\track car but probably will not be great for a street car
I will go up to Brian's tomorrow and we will sit down and do a final review, and discuss what is our options.
Like we mentioned, we both think using 103mm drop in Liners\Sleeves is a good compromise but for those of you who want the most available displacement, you can opt for the 104+ bores that require additional work.
Titanium rods would be very nice but the cost difference is substantial; adding almost 40% to the overall price of the kit.

I am also still trying to find out about the cams, cylinder heads, valves, springs, etc. Will let you know as soon as that happens. Good thing is that we have time to do that while the stroker kits get done
I'm not keen on the R&R cycles on a race engine with 2 rings, want some longevity from this build...

If we can do 82.4mm stroke without issue, I"ll go this route. Also I noticed every other build is 105.x mm bores, our max is 104.1 is this due to ring sizes on JE pistons or due to the fact we're using ductile iron liners instead of capricorn or Nikkie's Al/NiC coated cylinders?

Spoke to our machinist and doing the cylinder liner machining isn't so tough, Serge944 also weighed in saying as much... Be interested to hear Brian's opinion as well...

Just an FYI I have feelers out to Elgin cams and I know a company like redline (not far from you...) would do some for us as well (they do all of CMW's cams for their builds...). Just not sure if Redline has something ready to go.

Any ideas for lift and duration? I want to get a bit more lift and overlap but not so much as to have to change the piston design...

Old 01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
The 104.1 is because of the ductile iron sleeves\liners. I sent an email to Capricorn about their 105.4mm bore liners but they have not gotten back to me yet; a little tough trying to communicate with them being in Germania and all

The GT3s could benefit from Capricorn 105.4mm sleeves but they are not recommended for the turbo applications. Nikasil seems to have issues with the cylinder temps that Turbo motors have. I have heard horror stories of the coating flaking off.

I had my V8 E39 M5 block Allu-Nikasil coated before finding out about this which is one of the reasons why I stopped the Turbo M5 project. That reminds me… I have to get rid of that thing; it sits torn down to the bare chassis taking up room in one of my garages. I was going to build a stroked M5 with a massive turbo on it that would make 1000+ to the tires but now it's a dead project. I might use that motor for a dune buggy or something in the future; just NA. Sorry about that… ADD

I am guessing the price of the Capricorn Sleeves\liners will be quite high as well as involving additional machining cost. 103mm drop in sleeves still seem to be a good alternative, compromise.

By the Way, I did not meet up with Brian over the weekend; he had family obligations. I will try and go down there sometime towards the end of next week, maybe on Saturday again. I will address your questions to him then and have some answers for you shortly.
I even skipped going to my Saturday morning pistol match to go up there but he called me around 10am to reschedule.

Last edited by ADAMNSONS; 01-20-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
I wouldn't recommend using the Capicorn for that kind of displacement.
Certain shop that I have contact in Germany that used / produce A LOT of big GT3 displacements for race cars advised that way.
Nothing to do with personal experience.
I believe Jimmy's, idea is to have 100 hours + before rebuild.

Also did you guys look into CP instead of JE ?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I wouldn't recommend using the Capicorn for that kind of displacement.
Certain shop that I have contact in Germany that used / produce A LOT of big GT3 displacements for race cars advised that way.
Nothing to do with personal experience.
I believe Jimmy's, idea is to have 100 hours + before rebuild.

Also did you guys look into CP instead of JE ?
Good to know, will continue down the path of ductile iron 104.1 sleeves then!

I'll let Alan field the JE vs CP. I've also used CP in the past with great results...

Old 01-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Talked to a few more builders today and got more confirmation on Brian's crank that it's the real deal and very well made.

Trying to contact Wrightwood racing about pricing for the Mahle 105.4 liners, pistons/rings setup as well... Have heard from another rennlister he paid about $6k for his setup last year...

an 82.4mm stroke with 105.4 would be 4313cc's...

80.4 with 105.4 would be 4208 using the 4.0L stroke length...

The Mahle setup is great for us NA guys, not so good for turbo builds. Would also need Alan to confirm if the costs go down on liners at 104.1 or just crank and rods...

Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 AM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
wow... more options but all good names

Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 PM
OK, after many discussions and much flip flopping, I'm gonna give the full Pauter build a try... 82.4mm Stroker Crank and 104.1mm sleeves. Interested to hear Darton's suggestions on sleeve installation. Also do we have a source for all the build gaskets and orings etc?? I know Charlie at wrightwood can sell them to us and they are viton so should be good to go...

I'm going to do minor valve work, new valve guides and a valve job. Leave the stock cams as the bang for the buck just doesn't seem to be there as the stock 997.1 GT3 cams have plenty of lift and changes in duration won't help as much...

When are we getting this thing off the ground?

-J

Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
Jamie,

My price on the OEM parts are slightly higher than Suncoast, so that's not an option...

I'll check with Ferrea for the valvetrain. Just stupid busy this week, with all the group buys and preparation for the 48hs.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 PM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
Sorry guys, I have been sick as a dog
I was supposed to meet up with Brian over the weekend because we couldn't the Saturday before but that did not happen. He called me Friday and told me he had a bad case of the Flue. Interesting enough, I got sick the following day. I have been sick since.
I feel a little better tonight and am hoping I will be better tomorrow so I can make some phone calls.
Please make a list of questions that you would like answered so I make sure to not forget anything.
Here are a few that I remember:
- is 82mm stroke an option with titanium rods? Would there be enough clearance?
- Pricing on Valvetrain
- Pricing on head Porting
What else??
I have sent 3 emails to Capricorn both in UK and Germany but no reply yet…

Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Brian's recommended best balanced package between cc, power and reliabilty

Personally I'd prefer to spend a few $100 on machining and get the max as in the scheme of things itsw a small investment.

Cheers
Jay

Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 AM
Davo67 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ur20v
Brian's recommended best balanced package between cc, power and reliabilty

Personally I'd prefer to spend a few $100 on machining and get the max as in the scheme of things itsw a small investment.

Cheers
Jay
Basically the same question as Jay. Want a reliable revvy package.

Leaning toward the 82.4 X 104.1 package with steel rods not Ti.

Recommendation on compression ratio also

Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 PM
I got an email back from Capricorn at last. Their price for the 105.4mm liners is 2500 Euros. That is $3391US. There is a o-ring kit for the sleeves which is another 39 Euros and lets not forget shipping from Germany.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM
What fuel will you guys be running on? 91 octane, 93 or more? This will influence the compression ratio he will recommend.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Davo67 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ADAMNSONS
What fuel will you guys be running on? 91 octane, 93 or more? This will influence the compression ratio he will recommend.
We have 98 here in Oz, but that is the same as your 93

How do the Capricorn compare price wise with the 104.1 iron sleeves ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stroker Kit 3.6 to 4.0