Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Stroker Kit 3.6 to 4.0

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:41 AM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
I am already doing the homework on the GT3s as well. Seemed like a good idea to figure out what the other options would be to increase the number of orders. C
So far I have gathered that 996 Turbos, GT2s and GT3s and 997 Turbos, GT2s, GT3s can all use the same crank with stroke, and journal size differences. GT3s can have a lighter reciprocating weight by using smaller journal sizes both on the crank small end and the rods. This way, even though the bore and stroke gets bumped up the the weight will not increase. There is even a titanium con rod option for the GT3s which will further reduce weight. That would make one snappy motor. Can go up to 4.2 with the GT3s or even larger but I have been told there can be some oil pump clearance issues with larger than 4.2
Just a little while longer before I put it all together. Waiting to figure out piston options. CP is on top of the list.
Also found out that Cometic has MLS head gaskets, ARP has bolts, and found another company that makes some trick billet parts like Billet aluminum IMS to crankshaft chain guide/tensioner.
I have spoken with a local Porsche race team\shop about engine builds and waiting to hear back some numbers. They gave me an initial quote of 5-6K to rebuild a motor that is sent to them; that means out of the car, shipped to them, does not include any shipping charges which will be the customers responsibility. Will post soon.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
Hi Dave,

I did think of you and if you hadn't appeared soon I would have directed you to this thread.

For us on the edge of the world so far for the US at the centre a kit and 'self' build is the way to go.

As for itchy feet, the need for power has given me a royally good flame up of athletes foot lol! The only ointment is a good dose of a poultice of cc's!

Cheers
Jay

P.S is Keyser thinks detectives are on to him and his true identy might be outed, look out for world war III

Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Davo67 is infamous around these parts
Hey Jay,

I said I used to be. 10 years in that job was enough So he won't be outed by me

Yeah, some form of kit for us over here would be the way to go, only thing is a lot of the build shops over there and others doing the builds won't really give you any details etc etc. FVD sell their 4.0 kit for 8k euro, but you have to use one of their in house shops to do the build, so again it's the same old story of freight and import duty !!!!

Will wait to hear what Adamson comes up with

Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
Adamnson, any chance you buddy Brian Pauter would sell me a set of 996 3.6 rods at a "nice price" for my 996 3.9 stroker/bigbore build?

Old 11-09-2012, 12:16 AM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
Hi BiteEm,
If you give me the specs on your rods, I will gladly ask. I see it shows 2000 996 C2 but I would like to make sure what exactly you need. What pistons are you using? What wrist pin size, what small and big end sizes of the rods, rod length, etc.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:38 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
PM'ed you the specs. Thanks

Old 11-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by ADAMNSONS
I am already doing the homework on the GT3s as well. Seemed like a good idea to figure out what the other options would be to increase the number of orders. C
So far I have gathered that 996 Turbos, GT2s and GT3s and 997 Turbos, GT2s, GT3s can all use the same crank with stroke, and journal size differences. GT3s can have a lighter reciprocating weight by using smaller journal sizes both on the crank small end and the rods. This way, even though the bore and stroke gets bumped up the the weight will not increase. There is even a titanium con rod option for the GT3s which will further reduce weight. That would make one snappy motor. Can go up to 4.2 with the GT3s or even larger but I have been told there can be some oil pump clearance issues with larger than 4.2
Just a little while longer before I put it all together. Waiting to figure out piston options. CP is on top of the list.
Also found out that Cometic has MLS head gaskets, ARP has bolts, and found another company that makes some trick billet parts like Billet aluminum IMS to crankshaft chain guide/tensioner.
I have spoken with a local Porsche race team\shop about engine builds and waiting to hear back some numbers. They gave me an initial quote of 5-6K to rebuild a motor that is sent to them; that means out of the car, shipped to them, does not include any shipping charges which will be the customers responsibility. Will post soon.
Look forward to hearing what you come up with. 4.2 kit would be what I'm looking for but as stated earlier the specific build details are what will be required, as in machining details etc etc because my indie over here will be doing the engine work.
Hopefully you can find someone who has done the 4.2 builds and is willing to divulge those details with my engine builder here in oz

Old 11-10-2012, 02:10 AM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
Adamnsons,

I'm with Dave on the 4.2. would like to keep to titanium rods as well.

Hopefully I can use his indie to.

Cheers
Jay

Old 11-10-2012, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by ur20v
Adamnsons,

I'm with Dave on the 4.2. would like to keep to titanium rods as well.

Hopefully I can use his indie to.

Cheers
Jay
Sound like a plan if it comes off. Be good if Andy has 2 to do as it will help with costs as well.

P.S Are you going to the Pclub show day on the 18th ? James Mitchell park in South Perth. I'm hoping to bring both cars along and you'll get to hear the M&M in the flesh

Old 11-10-2012, 03:15 AM
I was unaware of the Pclub show day on the 18th, sounds like a plan as its on my door step!

Cheers
Jay

Old 11-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi everybody,

I spoke with Brian yesterday and the is working on the Cylinder-Liners\sleeves, and pistons. I will also speak with Steve at Darton Sleeve to see what he has or what he recommends. I am sure I will have a lot more info by mid next week to report. While we were talking on the phone he had a 996T block in front of him and he was trying to explain to me how the sleeves are set up. I might take a drive down there just to see it in person. Steeve is on the way down there to so I can stop by there on the way or on my way back.

Titanium rods would be awesome but spendy ; more than double if not quadruple… I know Brian can do Titanium but I will find out more about pricing on those. Again… more people we can get to commit the better the pricing will be. I might have to get him drunk before he gives me the final prices. hehehe

The journal size will be smaller on the Big and small end of the rods, as well as on the crank. By doing so, we can go to a rod bearing size where there are a lot of great bearings available as well as under\over size bearings to set the clearances right. Smaller journal size also means less reciprocating weight
On the GT3s, we can have a super fast revving motor by using the lighter rods with smaller journals, lighter crank with smaller rod journals, especially if we go with the titanium, lighter X-forging pistons with both internal and external bracing thats stronger, smaller\lighter wrist pins; all those weight savings will add up!
Turbo motors can not have the super light weight pistons with smaller than 21mm wrist pins. You need a lot of meat on turbo pistons
Neither can we go with super smaller rod journal size which would be a lot lighter. Again about the MEAT

Last thing I will have to look into will be head studs. I read a lot of scary ARP head stud stories and would like to find out a bit more. I read that they were not long enough which might be true or not. I have always had good luck with ARP studs but I wan to make sure. I can call them and find out more.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by ADAMNSONS
Hi everybody,

I spoke with Brian yesterday and the is working on the Cylinder-Liners\sleeves, and pistons. I will also speak with Steve at Darton Sleeve to see what he has or what he recommends. I am sure I will have a lot more info by mid next week to report. While we were talking on the phone he had a 996T block in front of him and he was trying to explain to me how the sleeves are set up. I might take a drive down there just to see it in person. Steeve is on the way down there to so I can stop by there on the way or on my way back.

Titanium rods would be awesome but spendy ; more than double if not quadruple… I know Brian can do Titanium but I will find out more about pricing on those. Again… more people we can get to commit the better the pricing will be. I might have to get him drunk before he gives me the final prices. hehehe

The journal size will be smaller on the Big and small end of the rods, as well as on the crank. By doing so, we can go to a rod bearing size where there are a lot of great bearings available as well as under\over size bearings to set the clearances right. Smaller journal size also means less reciprocating weight
On the GT3s, we can have a super fast revving motor by using the lighter rods with smaller journals, lighter crank with smaller rod journals, especially if we go with the titanium, lighter X-forging pistons with both internal and external bracing thats stronger, smaller\lighter wrist pins; all those weight savings will add up!
Turbo motors can not have the super light weight pistons with smaller than 21mm wrist pins. You need a lot of meat on turbo pistons
Neither can we go with super smaller rod journal size which would be a lot lighter. Again about the MEAT

Last thing I will have to look into will be head studs. I read a lot of scary ARP head stud stories and would like to find out a bit more. I read that they were not long enough which might be true or not. I have always had good luck with ARP studs but I wan to make sure. I can call them and find out more.
Thanks for doing all this leg work. Will be great to hear back what you can come up with.
You have 1 if not 2 over here who are more than interested

Cheers
Dave.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 PM
modoz is infamous around these parts
Hi all
That will be 3 this side of the pond most likely
Adamnson thanks for the research
Will this also be workable on a 3.8L?
I am just at the front end of these considerations but looking forward to the possibilities
Regards
Mike

Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM
For the turbo motor you will want steel rods not titanium due to the boost/torque (you can use titanium but will have to make the rod so much more massive to cope that the gain has gone. Be careful as well on pin and journal size for the same reason (torque)... those with normally aspirated engines have less to worry about but less to gain! Brian will be all over this.

Cheers
Jay

Old 11-10-2012, 09:26 PM
I would recommend the titanium rods for the Naturally aspirated motors; GT3s would benefit from the additional weight loss.

I enjoy doing the research to tell the truth; it's fun for me

This package will work on all of the 996 and 997 Turbos, GT2s, and GT3s including the RS models. The cranks for the NAs will have smaller rod journals, rods with smaller big and small end diameters, and lighter weight pistons with smaller and lighter wrist pins. Turbo cranks will have larger rod journals, larger big and small end diameter rods, and more heavy duty pistons with no smaller than 21mm heavy duty wrist pins. NA kits will have the option of going with titanium rods to further lighten the rotating assembly.

Turbo setup will be at 4.0 and the NAs can be up to 4.2 liters. I will have more definite answers for you on that shortly. Lets go with 4.0 for both for now and will see if 4.2 is possible safely without requiring extensive work, modifications. I have been told that you will run into clearance issues at some point. It looks to me that can be addressed by using the smaller rod journal size on the crank and using the smaller rods, but I want to make sure first. I have seen the 4.25 build that is going on in Istanbul by Emre at ESMOTOR, but I see they changed the oil pump. If it is possible, I'd like to achieve the same without the need of the pump which is an additional expense.

I would think 9.4-9.5 to 1 compression for the turbos unless they are planning on running a ton of boost, and higher compression for the GT3s like 12-12.5 to 1. GT3s would definitely benefit from the higher compression...
What would you guys like to see on the compression ratios?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stroker Kit 3.6 to 4.0