Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Looking for a new track weapon, GT3 vs ZR1 vs Viper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 AM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 2ManyPCars
M

Vipers will require new engine/tranny mounts, brakes/rotors, coilovers, rear wing to get the most out of them. Stock form feels sloppy compared to RS. With mods, both cars feel VERY capable. Vipers/Vette are VERY fast on the track when driven well on Hoosiers.
Bull$%^, Buy an ACR drive to track have fun.

When the stock semi slick tires are no longer holding as well as you can drive buy slicks.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Are you just looking for new or more torque/power - Would you consider a track setup Turbo or GT2? Mikely had a setup 996tt that was probably faster than his GT3 and I lap with VID997 (09 turbo) and he is quite fast in that ~1:49 at Sears point.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:59 PM
m5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud ofm5trol has much to be proud of
New Viper wins this compo in my opinion. I love my rs and I daily drive it. But the new viper is just drool worthy. The fit and finish on the gts version is simply gorgeous. Take a look: http://www.drivesrt.com/assets/image...r-interior.jpg

Old 11-22-2012, 06:22 PM
m3995 has a spectacular aura aboutm3995 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by m5trol
New Viper wins this compo in my opinion. I love my rs and I daily drive it. But the new viper is just drool worthy. The fit and finish on the gts version is simply gorgeous. Take a look: http://www.drivesrt.com/assets/image...r-interior.jpg
Wow, what a beautiful pic, I gotta try one of those.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:24 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
No one knows how track reliable and what bugs the new Viper will have, I would not recommend a new platform for a track car. But like a I said a 2010+ ACR would do everything you are asking for and be faster than anything you've mentioned.

Last edited by heavychevy; 11-22-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
I personally drive a 2011 GT3 RS. Came from a very well sorted 996 GT2 and had a lot of cars in between.
There are faster cars than the GT3RS out there, but more than raw speed, there are feeling, if the car doesn't give me a great experience, and feel, is no good.
Have never driven an ACR, drove a Z06, and it just didn't feel right.
Maybe the new Viper will be a better car, maybe the Corvette will be a better car, but until they are proven, I keep my car with the engine at the wrong side

Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 PM
extrabolts is infamous around these parts
Test drive them. I did all the research in the world and test drove about 10 german and italian offerings. Each one I walked away from thinking "Yeah, its a good start, but ..." Then I tried American, and I couldn't wipe the grin off my face that came with a supercharged V8, and my track toy is German. You'll know how things will shake out 10 minutes into the test drive. The 911 is a better looking car, but the American engines will plaster a smile on your face. And *gasp* it is hard to argue with the fact that Viper hands-down has the best interior. If you are looking for something different, just going to a new GT3 won't be the end of your search.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:46 PM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
I seriously considered a Viper. Thought the really fast Nurburgring lap times, V10 power, and rawness would be really fun. What I discovered was it was very uncomfortable, felt HUGE, and totally unrefined. Totally different car from the GT3. Corvettes are more of a middle ground between the two. I would pick the GT3 RS for sure.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
No one knows how track reliable and what bugs the new Viper will have, I would not recommend a new platform for a track car.
This ^

I finally googled the interior of the new Viper and it does look sexy. But again, I just don't know how well it will fare. I'd have to pick it over the Vette. But I'd also have to wait atleast a year before considering. teething pains and recalls, tsb's and the like.

In the end it really boils down to what you like. You've already been in the Porsche, for a long time now, so you know what you're getting there. Fit and finish on my "Old" 2004 GT3 is amazing, even now that it is "old and dated". That's the biggest factor for me. How will the car look and feel with age? If you're keeping it a few years and then flipping it, maybe it won't matter.
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 11-25-2012 at 07:07 AM.