Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Looking for a new track weapon, GT3 vs ZR1 vs Viper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 AM
m3995 has a spectacular aura aboutm3995 has a spectacular aura about
Looking for a new track weapon, GT3 vs ZR1 vs Viper

I am currently tracking an '07 GT3, running Hoosiers, with the suspension set for the track. I enjoy the car but am beginning to look for a new toy. I am looking at a newer Gt3 RS, a ZR1 or the new '13 Viper.

I have driven the ZR1 and the acceleration is incredible, but I have not tracked it. I am planning on driving a Viper as soon as I can find one. Does any one have experience in a GT3 RS on the track vs the others? I realize that I and probably you are biased being on this forum, but wanted to get some opinions, thanks

Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 AM
birgppa is infamous around these parts
I may be delusional but I think the RS is the better car. Dont care about nurburgring laptimes.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I would be concerned with any of those options it being noticeably better than your current GT3 setup the way it is.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds like you need a Cup car.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Honestly, the GT3 or GT3 RS are the type of cars that will allow you to develop and improve your skills as a driver.

I think the Viper and the ZR1 are the type of cars that require you to already be that driver.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:07 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Honestly, the GT3 or GT3 RS are the type of cars that will allow you to develop and improve your skills as a driver.

I think the Viper and the ZR1 are the type of cars that require you to already be that driver.
Tom said it best. But just remember the ZR1 and Viper are going to drive quite diffrent on the track than your current gt3 setup or a new gt3rs. But I do love the looks of the new Viper and its probably the cheapest of the 3.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:51 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
My opinion...today I would choose the RS hands down, fit/finish to me is just spot on.

I'd wait until you can test drive all three, which may be some time for the viper. Additionally, I'm curious to see how the new vette will be transformed, heard it will be drastic.

When I was at the F1 race last weekend the announcer couldn't say enough about how well rounded, track ready and reliable a race car the GT3 & RS is. This was after the 458's had their go at it and while the GT3's were racing.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Imo the zr1 and viper will be easy to drive faster than what you can do in the gt3 but harder to get everything out of them. A current acr would be better than all 3 imo.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
On a side note a Viper should be way cheaper to maintain on the track. Brake and rotors are cheap, the cages are decent. Tires last a good bit on the track. A good Gen IV is going to be a car you can grow into.

But I am more then a bit biased. The gen V is going to be a absolute beast though in SRT form with Track Pack.

Last edited by WearyMicrobe; 11-21-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 PM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
The rs isn't THAT much different for an inter. level driver. Unless your jumping to a .2rs instead of just the 3.6 rs
If you are looking to get something different get a zr1 and stick some seats in it. Other than that they are perfect stock on the track.
Or maby do a 360 cs

Old 11-21-2012, 11:59 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
The more I read of the new Viper, the more impressed I've become. It surely seems that it will be a more exciting and better built car than the ZR1. At least the current model. So I'd just scratch the Chevy off the list. And I actually like Corvette's.
The Viper versus RS are so different that the list of comparisons will be really long. But after it is all factored and since you are a serious driver, it will likely come down to 'touch' versus 'torque'.
The Viper V10 will have immense low-end grunt, a slower turn in and likely a lot less steering feel than the P-Car.
The RS otoh, has that delicate front end feel allowing you to place the car where you want, and sense the texture of the front wheel/road interface. Not much low-end torque, but a great high-winding top end. The Porsche won't weigh any less than the Viper and it's way down on power compared to the SRT.
You know how a Porsche feels in your hands. If you're willing to give that up for more pulling power and heavier less accurate handling, you'll know what to do.
V

Old 11-22-2012, 06:27 AM
2ManyPCars is infamous around these parts
Many excellent responses. You really can't go wrong with any of these cars. The extra torque of the Vette/Viper can come in handy on the straights. I've had some experience with an '08 Viper upgraded to ACR specs, a '07 Z06(stock) and own the RS.

Looks: Dealer choice

Sound: RS > Z06 > Viper. Viper is a little harsh for me.

Power: Viper > Z06 > RS. I'm always jealous when I feel the torque of the other two motors. The gearing also allows them to have less downshifts on some straightaways.

Track Ready: RS > Viper > Z06. Vette's and Vipers will require new engine/tranny mounts, brakes/rotors, coilovers, rear wing to get the most out of them. Stock form feels sloppy compared to RS. With mods, both cars feel VERY capable. Vipers/Vette are VERY fast on the track when driven well on Hoosiers.

Value: Viper/Z06 >> RS. Porsche tax. US parts cheaper as noted above. You may find this thread very helpful. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...up-vs-z06.html

Engineering: RS > Viper/Z06. No car is perfect. Z06 motors can fail on track. RS coolant lines can come loose. Under hard braking, viper can leak oil into air intake.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:18 AM
5.7 silverbullet is infamous around these parts
I go Viper all the way, new car new look, and fast. You will like it..

Old 11-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
The new viper better be a drastic step up in fit/finish/interior. Everyone I've checked out of the earlier versions was just "bits and pieces" of other products slapped in and not seeming to be designed for the car.

If I were considering another GT3, it would have to be a 4.0RS or nothing at all at this point, other than a cupcar, which isn't street-able. The ZR1 is still a Corvette, so I don't know if that's good or bad these days.

I like all three as track weapons, but if you currently have a well sorted GT3, what's the issue? Bored? What about a driving coach to help you get it to the next level? Change gearing? Update the current platform?

Mike

Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 AM
m3995 has a spectacular aura aboutm3995 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for all the input - to answer the "why" question - just looking for something new. I am going to take the advise above and drive the Z again and the new Viper before making the choice. I have read quite a bit more on the new Viper and it sounds like an awesome car - never had one and maybe it's time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new track weapon, GT3 vs ZR1 vs Viper