Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Porsche "duped" us on our CL GT3's...:-)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I thought the CL issue is covered under safety recall?

*edit: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t3-recall.html

Last edited by jaspergtr; 12-20-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 PM
QuickTurns is infamous around these parts
Replacing the hubs, bearings etc. for the 2010 Gt3 "IS" the recall and covered. The "issue" of CL's for all the others (2011 GT3/RS,Turbo, GTS) in the future IS NOT. We all will have to pay for our own hubs, bearings etc. down the road as part of the "new" and revised maintenance schedule by Porsche...

Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by QuickTurns
Replacing the hubs, bearings etc. for the 2010 Gt3 "IS" the recall and covered. The "issue" of CL's for all the others (2011 GT3/RS,Turbo, GTS) in the future IS NOT. We all will have to pay for our own hubs, bearings etc. down the road as part of the "new" and revised maintenance schedule by Porsche...
Oh my...

Sorry, man.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm sorry, too. Some say the costs are between $15-20K PER change (rear at 4200miles, front at 8500miles). Converting to 5-lug "apparently" is cheaper but then again, did I buy this car so I can "convert"??? Just because Porsche forgot to tell me? Man, I'm mad, it's time to buy a Corvette

Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edwin814
I just recently had Tony fab a custom rollbar for my RS. Didn't think it's possible, but it fits better than OEM clubsport bar.
didn't i tell you that!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:11 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by medpilot105
I didn't know Tony would mess around with something like this. Hmmmm, interesting. I'm taking my car there on the 2nd for a roll bar install. Can't wait!

Good to hear! I know Tony mentioned that he was going to build mine from the spec of a white RS that was just in. Must've been yours. He must've done a bunch of roll bars by now for the local crowd.
i was the first RS tony did the 5 lug conversion. then did a few of my friends as well.

the gray RS i have also has tony's car in it, well, all my RS have/had his bars.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:12 PM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
subscribed

Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Thread Hijack!!! Can we get back to the "CL" issue. please? Besides, I don't need a roll bar, just makes my car look like a "track car" and then I'd have to change those silly hubs...
And honestly, I don't know why you guys need "custom-fabricated" roll bars. You can buy them off the shelf, can't you? There's nothing custom or rare about a GT3, is there? What am I missing?

Old 12-22-2012, 12:09 AM
off the shelf bar is not cheaper than custom bar.
too many issues with them to explain. one can pick whichever bar they like.

five lug is not new. very easy to do. documented on panorama as well.

many wheels available.

above are the "general guidelines" the finer point are trade secrets. things on my cars are never what they appear to be...... even my close p car friends cannot duplicate it ;-)

five lugs takes some ***** and commitment. i love it and i dont really give a damn about originality. it's my car so i do what i want. some may not approve five lugs for resale, so you need to decide which way to go, only you can make that call.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm sorry, too. Some say the costs are between $15-20K PER change (rear at 4200miles, front at 8500miles). Converting to 5-lug "apparently" is cheaper but then again, did I buy this car so I can "convert"??? Just because Porsche forgot to tell me? Man, I'm mad, it's time to buy a Corvette
I understand your frustration.

Quick question: What led you to get the CL car?

Old 12-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I understand your frustration.

Quick question: What led you to get the CL car?
GT3's only came with CL's. They look good but that's about it.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:02 PM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
I was looking at getting into the GT3.2 version since it was introduced. But the CL's quickly became a big stumbling block for me. Too finicky, and in the areas that I would do most of my driving I wouldn't have access to Porsche dealers or other shops suitably equipped to do wheel changes effectively. I'd have to carry the BS CL- related tools and follow the vague and nonsensical procedures associated with their safety. And, add the fact that my proximity to track use is very limited. Obviously now CL's are beginning to present more dangerous issues. I have debated the 5 lug conversion and costs associated with same. Meanwhile along comes the coolant hose issues with these models. Then there is the bigger issue of how long do I have to wait to get into this version with these mods that I would definitely want, with the necessary amount of cash I have available. Today I'm more certain that the route I will personally travel is to buy a low mileage first gen. GT3 and spend extra money to add the SW bybass, coolant hose issue fix, LW flywheel, 4.0 clutch upgrade and the EVOMsit software (to name the most common mods)- and maybe a couple of other items... That way I am finally into a 3 in short order with no CL issues, mods to increase the performance to nearly match most of the 3.2 enhancements and be at or below the cost of a 3.2 ( prior to all of the additional costs of CL's replacement, coolant hose fix, SW bybass, clutch upgrade,etc. - which are items which I would add to a 3.2 anyways). Then I can just enjoy the ride with out the BS issues. Don't everyone follow my lead, as I want there to be a good selection still left available for me to buy this coming spring... LOL

Last edited by DLJ; 12-23-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:03 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Mooty, are you saying the "5-lug conversion" is only $4-5K w/o wheels? So why did "mdrums" Mike say it'll cost him $12K+ to convert?
In any event, this still doesn't make this right from Porsche
Because I would be buying 2 sets of wheels. It would cost me around $9k going with OZ wheels.....12k going with a forged wheel like Forgeline or Fiske or HRE.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 AM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
The CL is a big turn off without the additional replacement schedule. Heck Nobody specs people replace the studs/lugs on a non CL car. Porsche blew it on this one. If I were in your shoes I would do the conversion and sell your old CL stuff. I bet you'll get takers and recop 50% of the parts cost spent.

On the TC note Tony is the man! He put a roll bar my friends GT3. Shop in Marin wanted 10k+ for a roll bar that was not near as good as the one Tony built for far far less.

Last edited by K24madness; 12-24-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 PM
while pag screwed up CL for many. those who think that .1 can be modified to compete with .2 is off for a big surprise.

there are only a few .1 that comes close to .2. pjs, ranger.... to name two. while i dont know ranger's car well, it's much more $$ than .2 thus performs better. and PJS's. he cost on gearbox alone will scare most ppl ****less. and that car probably out accelerate 4.0.

finally, every GT3 going forward will be CL. does that mean we stop buying them? probably not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche "duped" us on our CL GT3's...:-)