Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Porsche "duped" us on our CL GT3's...:-)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 PM
QuickTurns is infamous around these parts
Porsche "duped" us on our CL GT3's...:-)

So I went out last year and bought a GT3. Wanted something more powerful than my Carrera S, read about the good suspension set-up and YES, above all, saw the marketing material which advertised THE track car with pics, words and all... Got one with *** (old fart) seats and didn't modify anything, just plain stock. Took it to the track a few times but mostly back roads.
Now Porsche tells me that my GT3's is "more like" their Cup Cars and needs to be maintained that way as far as the center locks are concerned! Unfortunately, they forgot to tell me that when I bought it and plunked down close to $150K (incl. CA taxes :-). It took them 2+ years to figure this out and only after a "few" wheels fell off on a couple of cars:-(, hence the recall for the 2010 GT3 build-year.
The really bad news is that if/when I track my car -and be it even a few hundred miles a year- my car is subject to this (for me) ridiculous maintenance schedule of replacing your hubs, bearings, etc. after 4200 miles (!!!) and then again plus the front PLUS the uprights at 8500 miles... at a cost of close to $20K. Yes, $20K. So what do you think a future buyer of my GT3 (and all of yours) will ask (and demand)? Have you tracked your car? and unless you lie straight out, he/she'll probably will take a good amount off your "used asking price"...
I understand all this if you're a REAL serious track junkies with aftermarket suspension parts everywhere, custom wheels, hoosiers or worse, slicks and then you SHOULD follow that maintance schedule.
BUT for the casual track user, this really, really sucks.
Your GT3 just became $20K worth less over night just because Porsche forgot to tell you... time to buy a 991S with 5 lugs or something else..

Old 12-19-2012, 08:12 PM
SUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura aboutSUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by QuickTurns
So I went out last year and bought a GT3. Wanted something more powerful than my Carrera S, read about the good suspension set-up and YES, above all, saw the marketing material which advertised THE track car with pics, words and all... Got one with *** (old fart) seats and didn't modify anything, just plain stock. Took it to the track a few times but mostly back roads.
Now Porsche tells me that my GT3's is "more like" their Cup Cars and needs to be maintained that way as far as the center locks are concerned! Unfortunately, they forgot to tell me that when I bought it and plunked down close to $150K (incl. CA taxes :-). It took them 2+ years to figure this out and only after a "few" wheels fell off on a couple of cars:-(, hence the recall for the 2010 GT3 build-year.
The really bad news is that if/when I track my car -and be it even a few hundred miles a year- my car is subject to this (for me) ridiculous maintenance schedule of replacing your hubs, bearings, etc. after 4200 miles (!!!) and then again plus the front PLUS the uprights at 8500 miles... at a cost of close to $20K. Yes, $20K. So what do you think a future buyer of my GT3 (and all of yours) will ask (and demand)? Have you tracked your car? and unless you lie straight out, he/she'll probably will take a good amount off your "used asking price"...
I understand all this if you're a REAL serious track junkies with aftermarket suspension parts everywhere, custom wheels, hoosiers or worse, slicks and then you SHOULD follow that maintance schedule.
BUT for the casual track user, this really, really sucks.
Your GT3 just became $20K worth less over night just because Porsche forgot to tell you... time to buy a 991S with 5 lugs or something else..
Isn't it cheaper to do a 5 lug conversion?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO
Isn't it cheaper to do a 5 lug conversion?
Maybe, I don't know the costs exactly, I hear $12-14K PLUS new wheels, so close to $16-18K. But that's not the point, Porsche screwed us and should pay for this mess.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:20 PM
SUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura aboutSUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura about
Maybe, I don't know the costs exactly, I hear $12-14K PLUS new wheels, so close to $16-18K. But that's not the point, Porsche screwed us and should pay for this mess.
I heard the CL are indeed a PITA; however, they look really nice and I bet that you would have many who would be willing to trade their 5 lug setup for yours.

Even if you don't find anyone to trade, it will be significantly less $$$$ if you shop around.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
u hear wrong.
goto tcdesign.com and call tony.
1800 or so in parts
1500 or so in labor
pick wheels that works.
wehre in nor cal are you?

dont panic.
these are great cars.
and track a lot
those who are afraid to buy gt3's b/c you tracked it.... well, maybe they should just buy other garbage like bmw and such.

Attached Images    

Last edited by mooty; 12-19-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Mooty, are you saying the "5-lug conversion" is only $4-5K w/o wheels? So why did "mdrums" Mike say it'll cost him $12K+ to convert?
In any event, this still doesn't make this right from Porsche

Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by mooty
dont panic.
these are great cars.
and track a lot
One more thing, Mooty, don't get me wrong, I love my GT3 and I'll drive it until the wheels fall off BUT it's the principle (and my money), like your "Carlsen" thing, that I'd hate to "discount" my car down the road just because Porsche forgot something.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
^ MDRUM knows his stuff. mike included the cost of wheels. if you add a set of $6000 BBS sure, it's 10-12k. i have done it on two of my RS's. parts and labor is below 4000 for sure. some mechanics are very slow over charge hours. wheels are the big ticket. but to be fair, u have one set of wheel now, you sell that and buy anoterh set. forgeline GA3R is very light, approx $4800 or so. i am sure HRE does it too, ask alex at sharkwerk (fremont, CA) or you go nuts buy 5 sets of BBS like i showed.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 PM
One more thing, Mooty, don't get me wrong, I love my GT3 and I'll drive it until the wheels fall off BUT it's the principle (and my money), like your "Carlsen" thing, that I'd hate to "discount" my car down the road just because Porsche forgot something.
oh, i agree... porsche did a booboo here. but it is what it is. we can complain but it doesnt get us anywhere. so i fixed it my way. all parts used are OEM porsche parts, except my BBS wheels.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Tx Mooty, I'd have to look into this (I'm in Sunnyvale, just around the corner from TC..) You've got a "spare" set of five lug wheels "laying" around by any chance?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 PM
i do have spare wheels, but i love my BBS. one of few things i dont sell.
7.1 oem GT3 RS wheels fits too, you need spacer on it. that's the cheaper route to go.
24chromium on RL has those. ask him for a pic. he's in san jose. may even be able to show you his set up.

on 12/26, my killer whale will be at TCDesign. you can go look and talk to tony about the conversion. they guy is good, really really good.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 PM
on 12/26, my killer whale will be at TCDesign. you can go look and talk to tony about the conversion. they guy is good, really really good.
Will go on the 26th to check out your car, need to get outa' here, I'm bored...Are you going to be there? Haven't met you in person, I think.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 PM
i will be there b/n 8-9am. then i'll be gone.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Edwin814 is infamous around these parts
u hear wrong.
1800 or so in parts
1500 or so in labor
pick wheels that works.
That's way cheaper than I expected...Maybe a new mod for me in 2013

Tx Mooty, I'd have to look into this (I'm in Sunnyvale, just around the corner from TC..) You've got a "spare" set of five lug wheels "laying" around by any chance?
I'm in Sunnyvale too. Mooty got spare everything. Can't say enough good things about TC. I just recently had Tony fab a custom rollbar for my RS. Didn't think it's possible, but it fits better than OEM clubsport bar.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
u hear wrong.
1800 or so in parts
1500 or so in labor
pick wheels that works.

dont panic.
these are great cars.
and track a lot
those who are afraid to buy gt3's b/c you tracked it.... well, maybe they should just buy other garbage like bmw and such.
I didn't know Tony would mess around with something like this. Hmmmm, interesting. I'm taking my car there on the 2nd for a roll bar install. Can't wait!

Originally Posted by Edwin814
That's way cheaper than I expected...Maybe a new mod for me in 2013

I'm in Sunnyvale too. Mooty got spare everything. Can't say enough good things about TC. I just recently had Tony fab a custom rollbar for my RS. Didn't think it's possible, but it fits better than OEM clubsport bar.
Good to hear! I know Tony mentioned that he was going to build mine from the spec of a white RS that was just in. Must've been yours. He must've done a bunch of roll bars by now for the local crowd.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche "duped" us on our CL GT3's...:-)