Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3, are you on the list?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Arth is infamous around these parts
991 GT3, are you on the list?

Hey there fellow members. First post for me here, but have been reading these forums for a very long time.

I'm 31 currently living in Dubai.

little background information about my car history.

2002 BMW M3 E46
2006 Nissan 350Z
2009 Porsche CaymanS ( PDK)
2010 Carrera 4S Cab ( PDK)
2011 R8 V8 coupe Rtronic

Well i currently am on the 2011 Audi R8 V8 and have decided that I want to become more of a track junky than i currently am. ( i'm actually taking her to the Track tomorrow to see how she does).

The R8 is a fantastic car and between all the cars in my history its the best iv'e owned. But there is just something about Porsche that once you've driven one..... i just cant put my finger on it.... but you just have to get back in one.

So i headed over to my local porsche dealer a couple of days ago and put my name on the list for the new 991 GT3.

I spoke to both my sales consultant as well as the GM and both gave around the same feedback that orders should begin around April/May with the first batch of cars coming in around the end of the year.

Anyone else on this forum asked around or been put on the list for this monster yet? if so were you given a approximate timeframe for orders?

cheers Arth

Old 12-20-2012, 01:55 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Goodluck with everything, but I heard that they are not making the GT3 in manual anymore, not that it matter to you anyway because you like the Auto cars, but enjoy and post pic once you take delivery....

Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 AM
yeh i heard the same

Believe it or not if it is available in manual at launch then i will be getting it in that. if not then it will have to be the PDK.

you cant go wrong with either imo:P

pics will come for sure

Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 AM
997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of
I'm out on this, no manual don't want. GT2 RS in the works for me now...

Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Nugget is infamous around these parts
I'll have to drive one before I can decide if I want one or not. I'm ambivalent about the 991 Carreras and it remains to be seen what they'll do with the GT3.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 AM
QuickTurns is infamous around these parts
As long as it doesn't have centerlocks, I'm okay with a 991 (GT3/RS)...

Old 12-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
I'm on the list with a deposit but if no manual then I'm canceling the order and I'll keep my 997.1 GT3.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bruce
I'm on the list with a deposit but if no manual then I'm canceling the order and I'll keep my 997.1 GT3.
Yeah Bruce, no manual, I know it sucks, big time, the 6speed/7speed generation will soon be obsolete SMH!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
I'm waiting to see the final specs. So far, there are two strikes against it from what I know - center lock wheels and 20" wheels. If there is an option for 19" (or better yet, 18") 5-lug wheels then I'd consider it. Only time will tell.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:12 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I am on the fence awaiting specs including the RS. I am not thrilled with center locks when I need to change between many wheels for track use. 20" wheels seems over the top too, except they look cooler. My dealer thinks "PDK only", with no Metzger engine. Lots of unknowns if wanting to be on the bleeding edge.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Angry

I'm pretty sure that initial cars will come out with PDK only and then they will introduce the manual somewhere along the line.

I just cant see them loosing such a big client base because they don't want to give the manual transmission as an option.

concerning the centre locks. Don't you guys think they would have sorted it out or found a solution since they are already aware of the problem with the current 2010+GT3/RS's.

unfortunately test driving one here in dubai is not an option.

Test driving a Carrera S required a salesman to hop in with me and only for half an hour.

most people here have so much money that they never ask for test drives so it has become the norm.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:19 AM
EUGENE-Taiwan has a spectacular aura aboutEUGENE-Taiwan has a spectacular aura about
I'm on the list for a 991 GT3RS

Old 12-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Jmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really nice
I guess that means the 997 Generations value will go up if its true for no manual option. Whats the deal about not liking center locks? Inconvenience?

Old 12-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jmoney
Whats the deal about not liking center locks? Inconvenience?
With track use, they have had an issue with breaking and falling off. I'd say that's inconvenient.

Also, to 'fix' that issue, Porsche has now released a new maintenance schedule for the CL wheels that could get quite expensive to follow. And if you don't follow the recommended schedule or do something silly like take the car to a track, they won't cover a problem.

Not to mention the massive torque wrench and other tools needed to follow the 3-page long process for changing a wheel.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:28 AM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Arth
I'm pretty sure that initial cars will come out with PDK only and then they will introduce the manual somewhere along the line.

I just cant see them loosing such a big client base because they don't want to give the manual transmission as an option.

concerning the centre locks. Don't you guys think they would have sorted it out or found a solution since they are already aware of the problem with the current 2010+GT3/RS's.

unfortunately test driving one here in dubai is not an option.

Test driving a Carrera S required a salesman to hop in with me and only for half an hour.

most people here have so much money that they never ask for test drives so it has become the norm.
I am not sure Porsche will lose a "big client base". For some purists, perhaps, but that is a very small number, and believe it is mainly the US market. I thought they would lose a client base with the switch to water cooled, then the 996, but they only increased sales, and opened new markets, worldwide. Knowing Porsche, I am sure they calulated this all out, including profits, and if someone really wants a 6 speed for the track, the Cayman R is another option.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3, are you on the list?