GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

pdk gt3.... Booooo.... Booooo...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 AM
StockKiller is infamous around these parts
pdk gt3.... Booooo.... Booooo...

http://www.9magazine.com/evidence-pd...n-new-gt3.html

hey for certain drivers it will be fine...
de days and want not.. but... for those guys.. have fun....
i have a cayman r pdk... its a great car for the wife...
lol.. no seriously for a causal daily driver.. its awesome...
but for the track... if your not a professional driver... and you really want to have some fun... get a mt....
if you want a dual purpose car.. and want to drive to the track... get the pdk...and live in an area where mt is unsuitable.. we understand...
but again for the record...
fun factor is a mt.... i dont care about saving 2 to 3 seconds a lap..

Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 AM
997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of
And this why I am keeping my GT3 or adding a GT2 RS to my stable soon...

Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
GT3 values will continue to stay strong. Metzger engine and MT is going to be last of a line. I'll probably get in line for a 991 RS at some point but that will be in addition to not in lieu of my 997.2RS.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:51 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
The rumors are brewing that the engine was developed as a modification of the current modular design by Porsche Motorsports and will be used in the Cup cars? And the PDK system is significantly faster than the current PDKs seen in the 991s? Redline 9000 RPM?

Doesn't this pique anyone's interest?

Last edited by bbywu; 02-20-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Nope....

It's still going to be fastest in auto. Talk about buzz kill, a bunch of people driving around the track in auto mode.......

Would rather save my money and drive Karts.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM
slimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud of
I have an Audi r8 and 2010 gt3 rs. While its fun to drive the r8 it cannot compare to the driving experience of the gt3 rs.

Imagine playing a xbox with a controller, yeah its fun, but you are not dialed in. Now imagine the xbox is wired in to your brain. Everyting is in 3d, you are wired in. Your legs, arms, ears and eyes are all working together. Your senses become much more aware of every situation, and as a result it is a pure orgasmic feeling.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
modoz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Nope....

It's still going to be fastest in auto. Talk about buzz kill, a bunch of people driving around the track in auto mode.......

I think this is the conundrum "Fastest in auto"

Porsche's goal of course is the keep progression of faster lap times and for those competing this is also a goal.

But there is also a large contingent of owners, past, current and future who enjoy the connection and the development of skill my having a manual transmission.

My first Porsche was a 997.2 Carrera S with PDK, I took it to the track and was immediately bitten by the bug and placed an order for a GT3.

The PDK gave the opportunity to work on lines and braking points and attitude of the car without the need to heel toe. And this was invaluable in the development of track skills. But then I could move up in performance and get a manual shift.

The 991 generation will sadly be lacking the choice it would seem to get that connection with the car and I think that leaves a sentimental gap.

Even the sequential box now works with paddles so again a removal of that stimulus.....

Do we simply want/have to go faster at any cost (we'd just about all say yes) or do we want to really enjoy everything about the experience?

Given the marketing materials and journals judges performance largely on handling and lap times I think the manual transmissions are doomed.

XBox has a lot to answer for!!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by StockKiller
http://www.9magazine.com/evidence-pd...n-new-gt3.html

hey for certain drivers it will be fine...
de days and want not.. but... for those guys.. have fun....
i have a cayman r pdk... its a great car for the wife...
lol.. no seriously for a causal daily driver.. its awesome...
but for the track... if your not a professional driver... and you really want to have some fun... get a mt....
if you want a dual purpose car.. and want to drive to the track... get the pdk...and live in an area where mt is unsuitable.. we understand...
but again for the record...
fun factor is a mt.... i dont care about saving 2 to 3 seconds a lap..
Fun is different for different people. If you don't care about another 2 or 3 seconds, get a Lotus.

Or a few more seconds - get a Miata. You can still have all of the shifting fun you'd like.

For those that want a performance car for performance - there is a PDK GT3. If you can tell me what the GT3 was made for, other than track performance that can be driven daily (if desired), please let me know. I don't think Porsche is marketing the car as - the fun car. For those, I present to you - the Boxster.

To me, there is a lot more to performance driving than downshifting.

Besides - I wouldn't worry about the whole PDK/GT3 thing too much. I've learned from many Porsche owners here that Porsche listens to their customers, is all about the experience (not necessarily speed), and gives their customers a choice.

So you're good.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
i tend to agree i see metzger values holding out.. that being said.. i bet porsche will release a special edition manual 991 GT3 or GT2RS

Old 02-20-2013, 06:53 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Fun is different for different people. If you don't care about another 2 or 3 seconds, get a Lotus.

Or a few more seconds - get a Miata. You can still have all of the shifting fun you'd like.

For those that want a performance car for performance - there is a PDK GT3. If you can tell me what the GT3 was made for, other than track performance that can be driven daily (if desired), please let me know. I don't think Porsche is marketing the car as - the fun car. For those, I present to you - the Boxster.

To me, there is a lot more to performance driving than downshifting.

Besides - I wouldn't worry about the whole PDK/GT3 thing too much. I've learned from many Porsche owners here that Porsche listens to their customers, is all about the experience (not necessarily speed), and gives their customers a choice.

So you're good.
So you contend that there is no performance from manual? I think there are quite a few cars still setting records over paddle shift cars that would contend otherwise.

People do DE for enjoyment and 1 or 2% of speed difference is not worth losing most of what makes it enjoyable. For the people that are all about performance, there is Time Trials and Racing, and at the amateur level, even the vast majority of those people would STILL rather have a manual, or at least a REAL mechanical sequential.

If performance is all you are looking for, you should be trying to go pro, the majority of us will be content with our hobby. And since you are so set on performance, let's see some what lap records you have set.........

Oddly enough, the people talking about performance this and that drive like molasses on the track. They will need more than PDK to fix their problems. Last thing we need is a bunch of numbskulls coming to the track with magazine racer mentality and not having to learn basic skills like shifting to slow their speeds down so they don't hurt themselves.

IMO if PDK is worth 2-3-4 seconds a lap, you need far more work than a transmission.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Former Vendor
dbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbywu
The rumors are brewing that the engine was developed as a modification of the current modular design by Porsche Motorsports and will be used in the Cup cars? And the PDK system is significantly faster than the current PDKs seen in the 991s? Redline 9000 RPM?

Doesn't this pique anyone's interest?
really looking fwd to those pieces of information

Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
So you contend that there is no performance from manual? I think there are quite a few cars still setting records over paddle shift cars that would contend otherwise.

People do DE for enjoyment and 1 or 2% of speed difference is not worth losing most of what makes it enjoyable. For the people that are all about performance, there is Time Trials and Racing, and at the amateur level, even the vast majority of those people would STILL rather have a manual, or at least a REAL mechanical sequential.

If performance is all you are looking for, you should be trying to go pro, the majority of us will be content with our hobby. And since you are so set on performance, let's see some what lap records you have set.........

Oddly enough, the people talking about performance this and that drive like molasses on the track. They will need more than PDK to fix their problems. Last thing we need is a bunch of numbskulls coming to the track with magazine racer mentality and not having to learn basic skills like shifting to slow their speeds down so they don't hurt themselves.

IMO if PDK is worth 2-3-4 seconds a lap, you need far more work than a transmission.
^yep

Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 PM
gibbonsc4s has a spectacular aura aboutgibbonsc4s has a spectacular aura about
I have to say the dwindling mt options are discouraging.

I don't make my living from racing.

I don't care if I am 2 (or 60) seconds slower than is humanly possible.

Pdk is less fun and I hope Porsche intends on providing me a mt when I've scrounged enough for a turbo

Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Nope....

Point taken. But I'm still interested in this new motorsport engine.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !

Amen Dez

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: pdk gt3.... Booooo.... Booooo...