Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997.1 GT3 vs GT3rs?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
997.1 GT3 vs GT3rs?????

So I just sold my E60 M5 with the intention of replacing it with a 997.1 GT3. Ive been doing some research and feel like I have a pretty good understanding of the difference between the standard GT3 and the RS. So here is the question that continues to run through my mind. Is the the RS really worth the additional $10-$20K? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 AM
StPatsDay is infamous around these partsStPatsDay is infamous around these parts
Good luck finding an RS for $10k more.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by StPatsDay
Good luck finding an RS for $10k more.
You are probably correct, most RS's are more the $10k more. BTW, thanks for answering the question.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
In a nutshell...what are the differences? Im no expert...

Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
Differences are RS:

No Sunroof for US Models
Lightweight flywheel
Wider body
Wider rear track
slightly lighter
Rear decklid
Front spoiler

These are the main, maybe I forgot something but pretty much it.

RS looks a lot sexier though

Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Get the RS if the money isn't a huge issue.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Banned
Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !
M3EvoBR gave the spot on description of the differences.
If you tried to mod the .1GT3 to add the differences you'll exceed the price delta.
The no sunroof and singlemass LWFW are salient differences.
.1RS's out there with reasonables miles are between 90 to 100K.
You're gonna love the GT3/RS.
Happy hunting.

\m/

Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Banned
Kormaster has a spectacular aura aboutKormaster has a spectacular aura about
Get the RS if you can afford it (what are you planning to do with the car?)

I would take any RS over non RS... .2 over .1 Gen 2 prices has been very strong lately... holding their value. In fact, most 997 gt3/RS are holding up very well, unless it has crazy high milage. FOr high milage .1 gt3, I would take it to to the "Sharky" Lab and let them do a 3.9 conversion and fix all the hoses and slap on all the track goodies and be done.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Differences are RS:

No Sunroof for US Models
Lightweight flywheel
Wider body
Wider rear track
slightly lighter
Rear decklid
Front spoiler

These are the main, maybe I forgot something but pretty much it.

RS looks a lot sexier though
Thats pretty extensive considering (as mentioned) it would cost thousands to duplicate. The widebody rear would be enough incentive alone to do an RS...esp if cost ist a deal breaker. A nice wide set of rims and tires is the only thing needed to make the narrowbody stand out from the crowd.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 PM
joyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura about
997.1 GT3 vs 997.1 GT3 RS => very minor. Mostly looks.

997.2 GT3 is a large improvement over the two. Should have been this way from the start IMO

Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Banned
Kormaster has a spectacular aura aboutKormaster has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by joyride
997.1 GT3 vs 997.1 GT3 RS => very minor. Mostly looks.

997.2 GT3 is a large improvement over the two. Should have been this way from the start IMO

I agree. Dont drive .2 RS unless you are ready to get do anything to buy the car. Once you experience it... VERY hard to forget the pure joy. Very fast car.

I drove .1 RS then ended up with .2 NON RS. They drive similar but RS feels lighter due to lighter flywheel and probably physically lighter.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 PM
StPatsDay is infamous around these partsStPatsDay is infamous around these parts
Guys have done a good job here laying out the technical and slight performance differences of the RS.

However, you are surely aware of the exclusivity of the status that comes with being being an RS owner. Check out the Registry:

http://www.gt3rsregistry.com/docs/HowMany.htm

I considered an 997.1 RS, and ended up with a 997.2 GT3. For me, I ultimately let go of the idea of driving that wonderful orange RS, and chose the more updated and "practical" 997.2 GT3. Perhaps you will enjoy the specialness of an RS? Either way, you will feel completely connected to the road in your GT3. (Btw I had an M5 as well before)

Good luck whatever you choose. You are going to love your GT3.

John

Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 PM
chardonet is infamous around these partschardonet is infamous around these parts
Here is a technical PDF that was available 5 years ago.

Attached Files
Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all your responses. i really want a .2 RS but the cash flow isnt there. 2 kids in private school and a stay at home wife eats up the majority cash flow. In all reality I think Ill be getting into a 997.1 GT3 as my first step into the P-car world. i think pricing will come down a little more as we get closer to the 991 GT3 release. Plus spending a little less on the .1 will allow me to do some of the mods Ive been reading about. Exhaust, suspension, RS rear wing and wheels and I think Ill be set. If its anything like my M5 Ill complete my list of mods and get bored and sell it and move on to the next project. Yes i have a problem, I know.

Id post pics of my last beast but this site wont allow it for some reason? I guess it doesnt like me.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 PM
roth1981 is infamous around these parts
I'm currently giving serious consideration to purchasing a 997 GT3 and am interested in hearing your views. Do I spend circa £70-80k on an RS or a gen 11, or save myself around £10k and purchase a straight gen 1.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 vs GT3rs?????